Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You sure you wanna go there?

Because that Christian laundry list is pretty impressive too.

Yes and quite a bit of them are silly as well. However; the topic is about Muslims, and what troops were refrained from doing in front of them. Let's put it this way. I agree with Happy Texan that if we go to someone else's country, we should respect their culture, and their rules (as silly as some of them may be), so long as they don't try and push that crap here. Remember the outrage from Muslims when the producers of South Park made fun of Mohammed? As far as I'm concerned that show makes fun of everything, and has mocked Christianity too, so they either need to grow a pair, or stop watching American tv if something they see offends them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'd like to see the actual directive before I accept the claim that it exists and says what the author asserts.

I would like to know how this came about. I didn't read anything that this was done because Muslims were complaining. This is the government being "politically correct" and Muslims are getting the blowback by people ASSUMING this was something Muslims initiated. It's possible Muslims found out about it the same way the non-Muslims did.

It amazes me how people harbor so much hate about different things. Can't be happy campers carrying all that hatred around with ya.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
It amazes me how people harbor so much hate about different things. Can't be happy campers carrying all that hatred around with ya.
Are you telling me you wouldn't be outraged if somebody asked you to be mindful and respectful to your coworkers?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Are you telling me you wouldn't be outraged if somebody asked you to be mindful and respectful to your coworkers?
If it involved any behavior modification on my part to accommodate their beliefs, when those beliefs and the associated practices are in direct contradiction to our culture.. Then yes, I'd be outraged. While I don't go out of my way to offend, neither do I go out of my way to accommodate.

The story in my OP refers to Bethesda, MD, not Mecca.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that's why we're constantly dubbed the Ugly Americans.

When you go to another country you are supposed to be aware of their culture and customs.
You are not in America anymore where anything goes.
I agree that when the troops are overseas they should make efforts not to violate local customs when possible.

This article seems to state that the request (order?) was for personnel at USU in Bethesda. Requesting personnel avoid eating and drinking in front of Muslim colleagues is over the top. Eating and drinking are basic needs.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If it involved any behavior modification on my part to accommodate their beliefs, when those beliefs and the associated practices are in direct contradiction to our culture.. Then yes, I'd be outraged. While I don't go out of my way to offend, neither do I go out of my way to accommodate.

You must be a very angry person then.

I can't imagine why anyone would be upset if somebody came to them and said "I'm on a fast - I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't eat in front of me." I also can't imagine why anyone wouldn't try and in fact not eat in front of a person who asked that of them.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
If I were muslim, or cared about them in the least, I would be concerned that all this 'kid glove' handling of them just increases resentment.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well I certainly hope they send the same type of email come Lent.."Please refrain from eating meat on Friday in respect for Catholic customs" with a link explaining Lent and the meaning of not eating meat on Friday.
Then do the same for the Jewish religion and any other religion that has customs during the year.

If you espouse tolerance/respect/education for one religion you need to do it for all religions.

But we all know that is NOT DONE TODAY.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You must be a very angry person then.

I can't imagine why anyone would be upset if somebody came to them and said "I'm on a fast - I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't eat in front of me." I also can't imagine why anyone wouldn't try and in fact not eat in front of a person who asked that of them.
I'm not at all angry. I would be angry however, if instructed to change proper and accepted behavior in favor of the beliefs of those who refuse to assimilate to American culture. They're the ones being rude, not me, in that case.

As for the eating example, I'd just say "That's your choice, not mine. I'm hungry and it's lunchtime." And then remind them they're free to fast elsewhere, preferably far away from me.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well I certainly hope they send the same type of email come Lent.."Please refrain from eating meat on Friday in respect for Catholic customs" with a link explaining Lent and the meaning of not eating meat on Friday.
Perhaps Col. Kevin Glasz sends out that request as well - he is Catholic. Of course if he did, we'd never hear about it. Todd Starnes hates Muslims, not Catholics, so he wouldn't report about the outrage of asking people to be respectful of Catholic fasters.

Last edited by hammertime33; 07-31-2014 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies