Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:46 PM

604 posts, read 935,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
we had a lot of people here yesterday from both sides of the political spectrum believe the report was accurate ( unfortunately the thread has been deleted ).

go get 'em michelle!!!
I pointed out the inaccuracy in the other thread...within a very short time the moderator decided to shut it down just as the conversation on false reporting was heating up. I was disappointed to see it closed in such a fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,279,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
I pointed out the inaccuracy in the other thread...within a very short time the moderator decided to shut it down just as the conversation on false reporting was heating up. I was disappointed to see it closed in such a fashion.
I was too, but it's the nature of internet forums I guess.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,466,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
ThinkPregress is the one demonstrated to be crazy here. We can debate Michele Bachmann on another thread, but this really has nothing to do with her. She had nothing to do with anything in this scenario. This about ThinkProgress, liberals, and their gullibility.
Funny thing is that if she ever did advocate labor camps for minors, I'm sure you would be among the first to say "BRAVO!"

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Why was it so effective?
It was so effective becsue journalists (and I use that term loosely) are far to eager to be the first with the story instead of actually doing some research.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Funny thing is that if she ever did advocate labor camps for minors, I'm sure you would be among the first to say "BRAVO!"
So you're doubling down on imaginary suppositions. Thanks for re-affirming my point.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,169 times
Quote:
And the source of this story? "The Raw Story". Check it out. You want radical leftism, you'll find it here!
You know you can actually fact check for yourself:

Here's the lie sold as fact by Fox:

First-grader told to stop talking about Bible | Fox News

Part of the statement from the teacher after this story was published:

"At no time did I ever tell the student that she could not read the bottom section because it was a Bible verse nor did she ask if she could finish. I never told her to ‘Stop right there!’ or ‘Go take your seat!’ or reprimand her in front of the class for sharing from the Bible. It just did not happen. This subject matter was never discussed. I decided to stop her at that point so the other students would get their share in before the bell rang. My students have always been free to share their ideas.

"What saddens me is that this story was twisted into lies and brought to the media. I have never sat down and discussed this directly with the family or the student. I am instead being used to push an agenda for the Advocates for Faith and Freedom.

"In closing, I want to express how blessed I am to work at a school that has stood behind me 100% and have had a tremendous amount of support from current parents and past parents who knew that the accusations were false just by hearing the story. They know that I would never behave in the manner in which I have been accused."

Part of the statement from the school principal after this story was published:

"Lastly, I would be remiss if I did not address the classroom teacher in the center of this controversy -- Mrs. Tammy Williams. Mrs. Tammy Williams is one of the finest educators I have ever worked with. She is an AMAZING first grade teacher, taught my own son last year, and I would not hesitate to put my younger son in her class. She does not deserve the harassment or bullying that she has received the questioning of her professional skills or judgment, or the claims that she harmed this child in any way. I stand behind Mrs. Tammy Williams 110% and find it extremely unfortunate that the Advocates for Faith and Freedom have irrevocably caused damage to her good name. The days will pass and this story will not be at the top of the news for long, but the damage that it has done to the good names of Helen Hunt Jackson Elementary School, Mrs. Tammy Williams, and I will be difficult to repair."
http://www.myvalleynews.com/story/75884/

Or perhaps you have a link that provides information about the disciplinary measures that the teacher involved in this case undoubtedly received because of her actions? I'd love to see that link.

Actually I'm surprised that Fox doesn't seem to have a follow-up to the story. Wonder why.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:05 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,784,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Why was it so effective? Because its exactly the sort of things that she says on a regular basis.

Think about that.
LOL... exactly this.

This woman says unbelievable things almost on a daily basis. For example:

"Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas." -Rep. Michelle Bachmann, April, 2009

"I will tell you that I had a mother last night come up to me here in Tampa, Florida, after the debate. She told me that her little daughter took that vaccine, that injection, and she suffered from mental retardation thereafter." –Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), on the HPV vaccine, Fox News interview, Sept. 12, 2011

"But we also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States. ... I think it is high time that we recognize the contribution of our forbearers who worked tirelessly -- men like John Quincy Adams, who would not rest until slavery was extinguished in the country." -Rep. Michele Bachmann, botching American history while speaking at an Iowan's for Tax Relief event in January 2011. The Founding Fathers did not work to end slavery, and John Quincy Adams was not one of the Founding Fathers.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,279,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You know you can actually fact check for yourself:

Here's the lie sold as fact by Fox:

First-grader told to stop talking about Bible | Fox News

Part of the statement from the teacher after this story was published:

"At no time did I ever tell the student that she could not read the bottom section because it was a Bible verse nor did she ask if she could finish. I never told her to ‘Stop right there!’ or ‘Go take your seat!’ or reprimand her in front of the class for sharing from the Bible. It just did not happen. This subject matter was never discussed. I decided to stop her at that point so the other students would get their share in before the bell rang. My students have always been free to share their ideas.

"What saddens me is that this story was twisted into lies and brought to the media. I have never sat down and discussed this directly with the family or the student. I am instead being used to push an agenda for the Advocates for Faith and Freedom.

"In closing, I want to express how blessed I am to work at a school that has stood behind me 100% and have had a tremendous amount of support from current parents and past parents who knew that the accusations were false just by hearing the story. They know that I would never behave in the manner in which I have been accused."

Part of the statement from the school principal after this story was published:

"Lastly, I would be remiss if I did not address the classroom teacher in the center of this controversy -- Mrs. Tammy Williams. Mrs. Tammy Williams is one of the finest educators I have ever worked with. She is an AMAZING first grade teacher, taught my own son last year, and I would not hesitate to put my younger son in her class. She does not deserve the harassment or bullying that she has received the questioning of her professional skills or judgment, or the claims that she harmed this child in any way. I stand behind Mrs. Tammy Williams 110% and find it extremely unfortunate that the Advocates for Faith and Freedom have irrevocably caused damage to her good name. The days will pass and this story will not be at the top of the news for long, but the damage that it has done to the good names of Helen Hunt Jackson Elementary School, Mrs. Tammy Williams, and I will be difficult to repair."
Fury growing over Temecula first grader’s Christmas presentation :: The Valley News

Or perhaps you have a link that provides information about the disciplinary measures that the teacher involved in this case undoubtedly received because of her actions? I'd love to see that link.

Actually I'm surprised that Fox doesn't seem to have a follow-up to the story. Wonder why.
What does Fox have to do with the topic of this thread? Nothing, but it should distract people from seeing that there are incompetent, quick to judge, unprofessional people on BOTH sides of any political writing.

For what it's worth, I read Fox's website daily, but avoid the kinds of stories you describe and anything written by that Starnes guy. That's only a drop in the bucket compared to having to avoid ALL of CNN for largely the same reason - obvious bias.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
Quote:
All the interesting threads get shut down, even when folks aren't being hot-headed.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,857,925 times
Maybe they fell for it because Bachmann has said far nuttier things in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies