Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

I hate corruption and hypocrites. That's why I'm so brutal against both parties although left wingers are worse than the right.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The political left's fundamental premise is the state controlling the life of the individual - this is the opposite of liberty. Thus, you cannot be a left leaning libertarian.
Good post. State control of our choices is the opposite of Libertarianism. Obama is the poster child for someone who is the complete opposite of a Libertarian.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
1. Respect for Property Rights: if it is not yours you have no right to it.

2.Nationality Sovereignty: keeping America, its sovereignty, its borders, and its culture of liberty secure from all enemies both foreign and domestic.

3. Understanding and Defense of the Constitution: Understand the few roles of the Federal and State Government and restricting the government to those roles.

4. Protecting and Securing the Borders: Understanding that borders matter, and immigration can aid a nation as surely as if left unchecked and tightly monitored, all people and cultures are not equal in the values, views, and politics.

5. Free Markets: Allowing people to succeed and fail based on their merit, skill and hard work, not picking and choosing people based on who they know, or how gave more to your election bid.

6. Understanding the Value of Liberty: Must know that trading liberty for security is a faustian deal that never ends in anything other then tyranny and war...“A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.” ― John Adams

7. Sound Money: Must know the value of a currency back with precious metal and know the dangers of inflation and fiat currency.

8. Defense of the 2nd Amendment: Must understand the reason and purpose of the 2nd Amendment, its value, and the horrors of what happens to a disarmed or under armed citizenry. Must work to repeal laws on the books.

This would go a long way toward solving a lot of problems including poverty.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The more you try to rationalize the corrupt perspectives you support, the more you make my point about how irrationally self-serving the right-wing perspective you advocate is. I wonder if you think that you can browbeat the moral repudiation of the egoistic claptrap you spew with large volumes of typing. The reality is until you actually adopt a moral perspective, you'll be unsuccessful in convincing anyone other than weak-minded sycophants that your nonsense defends your perspective from the legitimate condemnation I've posted. But heck, keep spinning your wheels, and doubling-down on the offensive self-centeredness you prefer. It's a useful demonstration of what I've pointed out.

This post is a perfect example of moralizing self-righteous ranting.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The more you try to rationalize the corrupt perspectives you support, the more you make my point about how irrationally self-serving the right-wing perspective you advocate is. I wonder if you think that you can browbeat the moral repudiation of the egoistic claptrap you spew with large volumes of typing. The reality is until you actually adopt a moral perspective, you'll be unsuccessful in convincing anyone other than weak-minded sycophants that your nonsense defends your perspective from the legitimate condemnation I've posted. But heck, keep spinning your wheels, and doubling-down on the offensive self-centeredness you prefer. It's a useful demonstration of what I've pointed out.
you're very long on self righteous condemnation of disagreement.

But non-existent when it comes to defending your own beliefs.

So, explain for us, then, what you believe and why it is moral.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
If there is no line, then there is no line.

Government will grow its power and influence until the nation collapses into chaos.

You HAVE TO HAVE A LINE, or there are no limits ,and if there are no limits, then you have no complaint.

Leftists want no limits.

If your neighbor comes into your house and takes $10 from your cash jar each week to spend for his own wants, is he stealing?

If so, why allow it?

If not, what is theft?

If the government does it, is it theft?

Why or why not?

Tolerating a central government taking your earnings merely for the benefit of some other person is tolerating theft. It's not a matter of degree.

So, pick a morally defensible line, or don't bother.

I'm a bit confused by your comments. Where do you get the opinion I don't advocate a line ? My point is that my line quite obviously must to further along the continum than yours...but I still have a line. I stated clearly that we've gone way beyond what I think is prudent. See my previously quoted comments below and note bolded part:

"I'm not totally hard edged about it, realizing that a certain amount of spending (weather it be for reasonable national defense, some core social programs, shared infrastructure etc...needing to be raised through taxes), is justifiable and prudent, but we seem to be moving WAY beyond that as the years roll by"

Yes we have a serious problem with the government spending our tax money on things they shouldn't be.....but I equally don't want to live in a country with no government taxation, no social safety net should I lose my job, become disabled, or wish to drive my car on a government funded highway and trust it's built to some safe standard or another. Can you imagine how our roads would be designed if there were no central authority planning and/or inspecting them and they were all built and designed privately and tolls were charged ever 1/4 mile depending on who owned the road ? I have no idea what you're really advocating by stating that government taxation for the benefit of others is always theft from the individual. Is government taxation for roads/infrastructure/ public water & sewer systems etc... theft since I don't necessarily need to drive on all the roads or use the same water/sewer line my county builds across town from where my house is ?

Is your line zero taxation unless your tax dollars are building/financing something that only benefits you (the taxpayer) personally ?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,459 times
I consider myself a Moderate Republican.

Gay Marriage should be legal Nationwide.

Instead of banning certain guns we need to focus on expansive background and mental health checks.

Although I don't like abortion we really can't ban it.

These are just three of the problems are country needs to find a solution to.

Zach

Old 08-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I'm a bit confused by your comments. Where do you get the opinion I don't advocate a line ? My point is that my line quite obviously must to further along the continum than yours...but I still have a line.
What line would that be? Please explain how that line is defined. What moral principle drives that line? What is the defining characteristic that says "this is where it is, not over there"?

Quote:
I stated clearly that we've gone way beyond what I think is prudent. See my previously quoted comments below and note bolded part:

"I'm not totally hard edged about it, realizing that a certain amount of spending (weather it be for reasonable national defense, some core social programs, shared infrastructure etc...needing to be raised through taxes), is justifiable and prudent, but we seem to be moving WAY beyond that as the years roll by"
You don't get it, do you? If you buy a home sitting on a lot... Your property lines are defined and measured. If your neighbor infringes on that line, by building a fence 10 feet on YOUR side of the line, is that "too far"? If so, is 5 feet ok, then? If not 5 feet, then is 3 feet ok? Of course, none of them are ok. He HAS to stay on the legal line.

If it's ok for the government to take $10 a week from you to give to someone else, just because it wants to... then is $20? $50? $200? $2000? When you've turned over to the politicians to decide just how much theft is tolerable, with the justification that you're comfortable with "some", how do you reclaim the moral stand that it's "too much" or "too little"? Those are just personal preferences, with no principled OR objective measure.

Quote:
Yes we have a serious problem with the government spending our tax money on things they shouldn't be.....but I equally don't want to live in a country with no government taxation, no social safety net should I lose my job, become disabled, or wish to drive my car on a government funded highway and trust it's built to some safe standard or another. Can you imagine how our roads would be designed if there were no central authority planning and/or inspecting them and they were all built and designed privately and tolls were charged ever 1/4 mile depending on who owned the road ? I have no idea what you're really advocating by stating that government taxation for the benefit of others is always theft from the individual. Is government taxation for roads/infrastructure/ public water & sewer systems etc... theft since I don't necessarily need to drive on all the roads or use the same water/sewer line my county builds across town from where my house is ?
Straw man, much?

Quote:
Is your line zero taxation unless your tax dollars are building/financing something that only benefits you (the taxpayer) personally ?
I said exactly what meant.

Go back and read it, words have meanings. And instead of just ignoring what I say, and inventing something else, how about precisely what I said?

Quote:
If your neighbor comes into your house and takes $10 from your cash jar each week to spend for his own wants, is he stealing?

If so, why allow it?

If not, what is theft?

If the government does it, is it theft?

Why or why not?

Tolerating a central government taking your earnings merely for the benefit of some other person is tolerating theft. It's not a matter of degree.
It isn't as if 9% is virtue and 10% is theft.

Or 20% is virtue and 21% is theft.

It's not as if 22% is good and 23% is evil.

You have no line at all, no principled defense of your opinion that it "takes too much" to just give to other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies