Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,803,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Another exposed "America apologist" or "America hater"
How about instead of first grade name calling you try to answer his questions, since yeledaf artfully avoided them?

Maybe we have done some good in our foreign policy on some occasions and done harm on other occasions? Not too hard to comprehend.

And I would love to get your opinion to answer the OP on why we are in Iraq. I have read it is to liberate Iraqis, to get rid of WMD, to get rid of state sponsored terrorism, to establish Democracy in the Middle East, to set ourselves up strategically to protect our oil interests, among others. Sometimes the same posters will offer these various reasons up in different threads as the main reason we are there.

You will notice that most vets that have a somewhat balanced perspective about life, including some that have been over there, will agree this was a major screwed up operation from the get go from a strategic perspective. Still is. Does admitting this obvious truth make them America apologists or America haters in your book, and if so why? You think it is better to just close your eyes and click your heels to Bush's monologues...that is better somehow for our nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:44 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,995,701 times
All I know is diesel is still $3.39 a gallon. We need to get the job done, get the oil flowing, and get the hell out of there.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 PM

756 posts, read 2,002,387 times
Posted by" Yeledaf
Nobody knew about the gas chambers until the GIs pushed into Germany in 1945, either. Although our liberal friends try to deny it (out of their own self-loathing), America is not evil. America fights evil.

Thank you for that post people want to thank we are evil but compared to these guys we are nice!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,004,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Posted by" Yeledaf
Nobody knew about the gas chambers until the GIs pushed into Germany in 1945, either. Although our liberal friends try to deny it (out of their own self-loathing), America is not evil. America fights evil.

Thank you for that post people want to thank we are evil but compared to these guys we are nice!!!!
And compared to Hitler, "they're" nice, but that doesn't make any of us nice in absolute terms.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:44 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,004,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
If I did, I would. Since I don't, I won't.

Now -- since you believe America always takes the immoral course, perhaps you can explain how aiding those like the English (twice), the French (thrice), the Dutch, the Poles, the Czechs, and the Koreans, among lothers, is abetting evil...
Who's said that? You seem to be continuing the pattern of projecting your own hero-vs.-villian perception of world affairs onto those who disagree with you, but with the roles reversed.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,250,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Works right into my constant "multicultural" theme. You're right---it was natural for us to 'assume' a lot of things, because to US, they were obvious. The gratitude that should have been forthcoming, the "logic" involved in who was to be seen as the 'bad guys', and who would be hailed as 'liberators'. The certainty that the weary Iraqis would emerge from the nightmare of life under Saddam--and his two gruesome sons--and RUSH to begin re-building their nation the NEXT DAY. It STILL makes sense to us---but not to everyone.

Culture is stronger than that. Culture can trump logic and 'facts'. And even 'common sense' is by no means common. A good illustration of the folly of 'multiculturalism', and one that should serve as a reminder to ALL of us. Are Middle Easterners congenitally 'inferior' to Westerners? Nope--just culturally very different, and that gap is one that won't go away by wishful thinking. And this 'adventure' in Iraq was WOEFULLY short on 'thinking', wishful or otherwise.
Did we learn nothing from our adventures in Somalia? Have we learned nothing from Israels battle to gain acceptance from her arab neighbors? NO...
Instead we we stubbornly stick to the notion that if it works for us then it will for them. Nation building.... I have an idea. Mind our own business.
Mend our own fences and restore our country to its prime once again. Focus our attention internally. Yes help those who have suffered a natural disaster. But going into other nations to rebuild, shape, or change their society?? No way. It just doesn't work. We try to empathize with their plight , we think we understand their needs. No we tend to tell them what they need and ignore what they say. Why is china popular today? They mind their own business. They are stingy with aide. They give only when it profits them. They never involve their armed forces in others squabbles. Not since the Korean conflict. They learned their lesson well. Playing sugar daddy to corrupt regimes costs to much money and returns to little payback.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,365,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Who's said that? You seem to be continuing the pattern of projecting your own hero-vs.-villian perception of world affairs onto those who disagree with you, but with the roles reversed.
Sincerely, I am doing no such thing.

bily4 did "US is bad." I suggested otherwise.

I have never stated or implied that I believe that America has been blameless in the conduct of foreign affairs. (9/11 would have been better addressed with a nuclear strike on the Rub al'Kaliyh, for example.) But some posters here imply the opposite on a regular basis. I merely try to provide a healthy balance.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,365,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
And compared to Hitler, "they're" nice, but that doesn't make any of us nice in absolute terms.
Not any of us?

Hmm.

You must have met my ex-wife.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,803,239 times
Quote:
Sincerely, I am doing no such thing.

bily4 did "US is bad." I suggested otherwise.

I have never stated or implied that I believe that America has been blameless in the conduct of foreign affairs. (9/11 would have been better addressed with a nuclear strike on the Rub al'Kaliyh, for example.) But some posters here imply the opposite on a regular basis. I merely try to provide a healthy balance.
bily4 did no such thing. Nice try.

Sometimes good, sometimes bad. It is called The Real World.

Yeledaf wrote "America is not Evil. America fights Evil."

Just like his fearless leader President Bush might say. Or my kindergardener.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
If I did, I would. Since I don't, I won't.

Now -- since you believe America always takes the immoral course, perhaps you can explain how aiding those like the English (twice), the French (thrice), the Dutch, the Poles, the Czechs, and the Koreans, among lothers, is abetting evil...

Gee, Thanks for trying to attribute thoughts to me but NO THANKS!

I'm just damn tired of the self-righteous types who **** and moan and cry "America hater" whenever anyone's willing to actually open theIr eyes, look at the whole picture, and admit that yes, even America makes mistakes.

Apparently there are still many who believe closing their eyes to things they don't want to see makes those things go away. I guess they're entitled to their delusions, it's just unfortunate when that attitude influences policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies