Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It is the nature of transiency.

You're claiming to be a college graduate?

I don't believe that for a moment.

In any event, you are asking the land-lord to violate State and federal fair-housing regulations.

Although there are federal fair-housing regulations, States many have their regulations, provided the regulations are more stringent than the federal regulations.

Of course I have. His views are questionable, since his research was sloppy.

Education and IQ are not the same thing. And then the EQ -- the Emotional IQ -- is something else entirely.

Crime is a product of Emotion, not Intelligence or Education (or the lack thereof).

You are free to do whatever you wish, provided you cause no harm to others.

That is the underlying operating principle.....Do No Harm.

Harm can be physical or financial.

Do all the drugs you want.....but the second it costs me even 1¢ you just forfeited your right to have any say in the matter at all. I now dictate to you how things will be, and if you don't like it, move to another Planet.

See this....

...that's you.....a Free Market of Excuses.

You are the problem.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from having a part of the municipality zoned 'L' (for Loser), where you can build your little Loserville-housing in an area that will not cause harm to anyone.

What?

I'm supposed to immediately come to Loserville to talk to the zoning board, talk to realtors, write up a petition, circulate the petition around town getting signatures and then represent you at a hearing before the zoning board?

No can do...I'm right in the middle of sipping wine, eating cheese and listening to Etta James and Billie Holiday. You'll have to do it yourself.

Excusably....

Mircea

Since when did "college graduate" become an unlawful qualification for renting an apartment? The Falcon Art Community in Portland owns and rents apartments to artists. Is that also illegal? Why don't you turn them in?

Falcon Art Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Sweden does not have a min. wage so we should drop it in the USA too. Let the economy and your own skills determine your wages.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
If thats your philosophy, I hope you don't mind people begging on street corners or people selling drugs to keep a roof over their heads/feed their family.

Employers sometimes like to EXPLOIT those in hard times. It's either take the job in this economical mess or do as I stated above.

I personally think workers should get a living wage. How can a homeless person get off the streets if the work doesn't even afford them to have a place to shower and sleep safely? I don't want nasty people handling my food.

Roommates are not as easy to find either depending on the city.
Begging is hardly an effective use of one's time but it's an option for those too lazy to apply themselves otherwise. Selling drugs is not acceptable due to the harm it causes to others and to society at large. (When I get to be king even low level drug sellers will face capital punishment!)

I've had to work two jobs to make ends meet. 50 hours during the week followed by 25 hours more each weekend. I've had to eat ramen noodles until I was sick of it. I've clipped coupons and taken in lousy roommates a spart of keeping a roof ever my head. I lived in one room over a biker bar with a shared bathroom down the hall. I worked full time while going to school. I didn't allow myself to be terminally stuck in a MW job and looked for ways to develop skills to pull myself up, if not immediately then with an eye towards the future. In the big picture I made a "living" wage - but not for working 40 hours each week in a job that I liked or was comfortable at, or would ever get a raise for staying at.

If you don't want "nasty people" handling your food, then prepare your own. Even the best restaurants can be gross behind the scenes, and if you think any McD's is a wonderland of cleanliness, you'd better think again.

Everyone is entitled to pursue happiness. Some of us even manage to catch it eventually.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Sweden does not have a min. wage so we should drop it in the USA too. Let the economy and your own skills determine your wages.

Then housing providers should be able to sell or rent housing that the lowest--paid workers can afford. Either that or allow the homeless to pitch tents and camp out.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Begging is hardly an effective use of one's time but it's an option for those too lazy to apply themselves otherwise. Selling drugs is not acceptable due to the harm it causes to others and to society at large. (When I get to be king even low level drug sellers will face capital punishment!)

I've had to work two jobs to make ends meet. 50 hours during the week followed by 25 hours more each weekend. I've had to eat ramen noodles until I was sick of it. I've clipped coupons and taken in lousy roommates a spart of keeping a roof ever my head. I lived in one room over a biker bar with a shared bathroom down the hall. I worked full time while going to school. I didn't allow myself to be terminally stuck in a MW job and looked for ways to develop skills to pull myself up, if not immediately then with an eye towards the future. In the big picture I made a "living" wage - but not for working 40 hours each week in a job that I liked or was comfortable at, or would ever get a raise for staying at.

If you don't want "nasty people" handling your food, then prepare your own. Even the best restaurants can be gross behind the scenes, and if you think any McD's is a wonderland of cleanliness, you'd better think again.

Everyone is entitled to pursue happiness. Some of us even manage to catch it eventually.

Nothing wrong with taking in roommates, when YOU are the gatekeeper. It totally sucks when you have NO control over who else moves in.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Bwahahahhaa. I love comments like these. They are made by people who dont know anyone from Sweden, or have never talked about sweden with them. Its true there is no minimum wage.....however....there ARE minimum wage standards in different sectors that are set via collective bargaining. 90% of all workers are covered by those collective bargaining agreements. The AVERAGE wage is around $26/hr.

Basically they don't need a minimum wage because everyones part of a union that sets the minimum wage for their sector.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then housing providers should be able to sell or rent housing that the lowest--paid workers can afford. .
why, they have a right to make a profit, let them live with mommy and daddy till they learn to grow up and quit smoking weed all day

Old 08-06-2014, 05:52 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If the working conditions and wages aren't acceptable, why take the job?
To be able to pay the rent and eat noodles instead of being homeless?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
To be able to pay the rent and eat noodles instead of being homeless?
Then there is something which does make it acceptable and there's no reason to object to taking that job.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
A worker is ENTITLED to the wage and benefit package he/she agreed to accept when the employer made the job offer. A worker is ENTITLED to be paid regularly, and not have the paychecks bounce.
IMO, those are the ONLY "entitlements" that a worker has.
If the wage and benefit package is not enough, the worker should not accept the job.
Many years ago, I quit a $10 per hour job because I had put up with all the profanity and obscenities I could stand. The way the boss and his sons talked to each other and screamed at each other was downright frightening! That was pretty good money for a mechanic in those days, but not even close to enough to justify staying there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies