Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 AM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Taking on Muammar Gaddafi in Libya.

While not notifying Congress.

That turned out well didn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
First, he did very publicly lobby the GOP for their votes. Remember that big televised meeting when Jon McCain brought that stack of papers and Obama scolded him for essentially bringing a prop for the cameras? That was about Obamacare.

Second, reaching out to the Republicans (who from the very beginning, have openly scorned the idea of agreeing with Obama about anything) doesn't enter into it.

Third, without him, it doesn't get passed. Obama couldn't get Harry Reid to dump the filibuster to get a jobs bill passed that might have saved the House Democrats and yet he was able to ram Obamacare through, after the GOP got hold of and framed the issue to their liking (remember all those angry town hall meetings and lies about death panels?), after the left in his own party griped about losing the public option without any input from them, and after the polls made clear that passing it wasn't going to be popular. If this had been left up to the decidedly risk-averse members of Congress, this thing never would have seen the light of day. This was all Obama.

Didn't show any leadership? I don't think there's been legislation in recent history that's required this much arm-twisting from a President just to get passed. Unless something odd and unexpected happens in the midterms, the ACA will go down in history has his one landmark piece of legislation and he was indispensable in making it happen.

Obamacare doomed the House Democrats.

The People did not want it.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
define leadership.

The term seems so simple yet everyone clearly disagrees on what it means so define it so that we have a clear consensus on what you mean.

Is this Leadership?;

* I will have the most transparent administration in history.
* The stimulus will fund shovel-ready jobs.
* I am focused like a laser on creating jobs.
* The IRS is not targeting anyone.
* It was a spontaneous riot about a movie.
* If I had a son.
* I will put an end to the type of politics that "breeds division, conflict and cynicism".
* You didn't build that!
* I will restore trust in Government.
* The public will have 5 days to look at every bill that lands on my desk
* It's not my red line - it is the world's red line.
* Whistle blowers will be protected in my administration.
* I am not spying on American citizens.
* Obama Care will be good for America.
* You can keep your family doctor.
* Premiums will be lowered by $2500.
* If you like it, you can keep your current healthcare plan.
* It's just like shopping at Amazon.

* I found out about it in the news.
* I knew nothing about "Fast and Furious" gunrunning to Mexican drug cartels.
* I knew nothing about IRS targeting conservative groups.
* I knew nothing about what happened in Benghazi.

And the biggest lie of all:
"I, Barrack Hussein 0bama, pledge to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America."

Last edited by bluesjuke; 08-04-2014 at 01:35 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,684,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

Obama did well for what he was in control of, helping rebels defeat Gaddafi and oust him, which is what happened. What happened later is because revolutions are messy, rollercoaster rides and Libya has emerged from 42 years of one man rule. Whether Libya will turn out good, have to wait a decade to judge. Obama is not in control of that, he can only help here and there but that is it. As for Iraq, it is mess because Bush decided to invade the country and turn it to a war zone. Not Obama's fault. And because Maliki's sectarian policies that alienated Sunnis. Oh he got bin Laden two years into office, Bush could not after eight years.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,684,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

Forgot to add, presidents have right to not notify Congress up to 60 days, and previous presidents did the same as Obama. Or is it only white presidents that can not go to Congress? Anyways off to bed, tomorrow is Monday. Good night!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,534,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're basically trying to prove a negative here. In order to "prevent" us from going to war, you would have to prove that his leadership prevailed over another. Congress cannot get us into war. Barack Obama is the only person who can do that. Basically, you're saying that he exerted leadership against himself? That's not really an exercise in leadership. It's more of you agreeing with his decision.
Restraint is not a negative.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Obama did well for what he was in control of, helping rebels defeat Gaddafi and oust him, which is what happened. What happened later is because revolutions are messy, rollercoaster rides and Libya has emerged from 42 years of one man rule. Whether Libya will turn out good, have to wait a decade to judge. Obama is not in control of that, he can only help here and there but that is it. As for Iraq, it is mess because Bush decided to invade the country and turn it to a war zone. Not Obama's fault. And because Maliki's sectarian policies that alienated Sunnis. Oh he got bin Laden two years into office, Bush could not after eight years.

He was in control of leaving Congress out of it.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,659,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Just as the title of the thread says: Name at least ONE policy outcome in which Barack Obama led the way. Tell us where you feel the President has been a decisive leader, where you felt the outcome was such that it would not have happened if Barack Obama had not exerted true leadership.

For the purposes of this discussion, we'll go ahead and knock Obamacare and Osama Bin Laden out of the way. After nearly 6 years as President, I think we can all accept that there would/could/should be more than just these two events in which the President can take credit.

But what are they?
I can't think of any time Obama stood as our "Leader" (but who wants a King or a dictator?)

I don't understand why conservatives want a powerful male "Leader." My girlfriend, my mother, my father, and my uncle are my leaders. Police can also tell me what to do, and my bosses at work can tell me what to do (when I am at work.) But if any other man is going to be my "Leader", he will need a gun pointed at me, or a sharp knife to my throat.

I consider conservative men's desires to have powerful male "leaders" dangerous. These dreams of powerful male "leaders" remind me of the USSR (f--- that.)

Old 08-04-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Forgot to add, presidents have right to not notify Congress up to 60 days, and previous presidents did the same as Obama. Or is it only white presidents that can not go to Congress? Anyways off to bed, tomorrow is Monday. Good night!

When you awake remember the last thing you did last night was to throw the race card out there- Good job!

Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,659,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The President of the united states has had enough leadership to preside over what is now the 5th longest economic expansion in the last 130 years

But as the other poster said, there is no answer that will actually satisfy you. You wouldnt have started this thread if there was.
Obama has also respectfully led us, and cut GW Bush's deficits and national debt growth rate in 1/2.
http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

And Obama has respectfully led us, and slowed the growth of government spending more than any president in the last 60 years.
Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies