Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM

2,434 posts, read 1,451,233 times

Advertisements

A lot of people say affirmative action helped the black community. The older generation often state how it helped them (Colin Powell for example), but when you look at the stats and history, affirmative action may lead to something of a death knell for the black community. Why do I say this? Before affirmative action, we had more black businesses and black people patronizing those businesses. Of course they had no choice back in those days, but black people had a measure of wealth as a result. More money stayed within the black community. Yet after the Civil Rights Movement, integration, and the introduction of affirmative action, black people started to leave their own businesses and began working for white ownership. Today we are no better than our sharecropping ancestors, who owned nothing and given scraps to live on. The worse of it all, those scraps, the money black people earn, doesn't stay within the black community. We go out and spend our money at Wal-mart, Sears, Chinese Restaurants, Japanese Restaurants, Italian Restaurants, and so on. Very few black people support their own, and in fact we jump over black own businesses to give our money away to other groups.

We are the only racial group who don't support their own businesses. As a result, black people have no wealth today. We own as much of the country's wealth today, as free black people in 1860, when most black people were slaves in this country. With all that said, black people need to get smart and protest for the end of affirmative action. (By the way it's funny when white women sue schools over affirmative action, when in fact they have benefited from it more than all black people.)

Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Id say you are a racist if your point is that blacks should only do business with blacks.

Fine with me.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Id say you are a racist if your point is that blacks should only do business with blacks.

Fine with me.

I'm saying black people should support black businesses so the money can circulate. People talk about how immigrants succeed, so why can't black people? That's why. They support their own, but you wouldn't accuse them of being racist would you? Only black people are racist if they do the same. Yet back with affirmative action, it caused us to abandon our own businesses to work for essentially white businesses. (Getting jobs with more established businesses in this country)

Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
A lot of people say affirmative action helped the black community. The older generation often state how it helped them (Colin Powell for example), but when you look at the stats and history, affirmative action may lead to something of a death knell for the black community. Why do I say this? Before affirmative action, we had more black businesses and black people patronizing those businesses. Of course they had no choice back in those days, but black people had a measure of wealth as a result. More money stayed within the black community. Yet after the Civil Rights Movement, integration, and the introduction of affirmative action, black people started to leave their own businesses and began working for white ownership. Today we are no better than our sharecropping ancestors, who owned nothing and given scraps to live on. The worse of it all, those scraps, the money black people earn, doesn't stay within the black community. We go out and spend our money at Wal-mart, Sears, Chinese Restaurants, Japanese Restaurants, Italian Restaurants, and so on. Very few black people support their own, and in fact we jump over black own businesses to give our money away to other groups.

We are the only racial group who don't support their own businesses. As a result, black people have no wealth today. We own as much of the country's wealth today, as free black people in 1860, when most black people were slaves in this country. With all that said, black people need to get smart and protest for the end of affirmative action. (By the way it's funny when white women sue schools over affirmative action, when in fact they have benefited from it more than all black people.)
Supporting black businesses has nothing to do with affirmative action.

If your argument is to support black businesses, then put that in your title. I agree blacks don't support black businesses but the issue with that is black people in general don't establish the skills and / or network necessary to thrive as business owners. That would be the first problem to tackle.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I'm saying black people should support black businesses so the money can circulate. People talk about how immigrants succeed, so why can't black people? That's why. They support their own, but you wouldn't accuse them of being racist would you? Only black people are racist if they do the same. Yet back with affirmative action, it caused us to abandon our own businesses to work for essentially white businesses. (Getting jobs with more established businesses in this country)
Unrelated. Your hypothesis is that white-owned businesses (which most businesses are) should stop hiring blacks so that they can go work for black business owners.

I'll use myself as an example. I have an Engineering degree. Minority owned engineering firms do exist.. but they are extremely rare. The only one I ended up interviewing with had all white employees other than the owners. They did not hire me. That is their perrogative. Affirmative action really has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Supporting black businesses has nothing to do with affirmative action.

If your argument is to support black businesses, then put that in your title. I agree blacks don't support black businesses but the issue with that is black people in general don't establish the skills and / or network necessary to thrive as business owners. That would be the first problem to tackle.
It has everything to do with it if you look at the stats. Before affirmative action, there were way more black businesses. After it, with all the "opportunity" now available to us, we left ownership to become employees. As a result, we own nothing. Wealth is what really determines equality in this nation, or are we not a capitalistic society? Black people own close to nothing. It doesn't matter how rich a lot of us have become through our jobs. Jobs still make us employees, and most of that money goes toward other communities, believe it.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
It has everything to do with it if you look at the stats. Before affirmative action, there were way more black businesses. After it, with all the "opportunity" now available to us, we left ownership to become employees. As a result, we own nothing. Wealth is what really determines equality in this nation, or are we not a capitalistic society? Black people own close to nothing. It doesn't matter how rich a lot of us have become through our jobs. Jobs still make us employees, and most of that money goes toward other communities, believe it.
They are not mutually exclusive.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
They are not mutually exclusive.
I bet you if we got rid of affirmative action, you would see more black businesses popping up, and yes they would hire black people. (Much like chinese restaurants hire chinese people, and other immigrant type businesses hire their own to keep the money in their communities) Everyone else have benefited from this program more than black people. I'm tired of all these civil rights groups helping out every other community than their own black community. Let's get rid of this program.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
I had to edit because this has nothing to d with Affirmative Action. This is actually about intergration (sp).

I "kinda" agree when it comes to circulating Black dollars but that is up to US to spend in our community. We have been duped by entertainers and rappers to spend our money on high priced items in malls and other stores instead of buying affordable clothing and accessories from local businesses.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
It has everything to do with it if you look at the stats. Before affirmative action, there were way more black businesses.
I'd love to see these 'stats'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies