Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 02:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,921,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You ever had your life put on hold because of a bogus case by Police?

Which is more valuable? Your well being or an over zealous cop?

I'm tired of submitting to terrorist.
I think his point is you need to survive until you get your day in court where you have a fighting chance. If you know there are bad cops out there don't set them off. Go to jail and call a lawyer.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:48 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,077,400 times
Exactly my point, but additionally how I responded to Gtwonoe. To place the decision about detainment/arrest in the hands of anyone other than law enforcement opens the door to anarchy. We are a nation of laws, or are supposed to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think his point is you need to survive until you get your day in court where you have a fighting chance. If you know there are bad cops out there don't set them off. Go to jail and call a lawyer.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,944,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
since when is a 18 year old adult an 'kid'
Legally this age is considered an adult in most places, but frontal lobe development, which is critical brain development, isn't even finished til mid-late 20s. NM the set of experiences needed. Not sure how this really changes the story though. (article stated teenager) There is also newer evidence suggesting how results of traumatic experiences could be passed onto offspring.

Frontal lobe

complete article
quote:
strongly suggesting that exosomes are the carriers of a flow of information from somatic cells to gametes. Together, these results indicate that somatic RNA is transferred to sperm cells, which can therefore act as the final recipients of somatic cell-derived information.

Last edited by CDusr; 08-10-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 06:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Because you will get killed for snitching. That's why some communities don't talk to the Police.

You need to understand your speaking about a culture and community your not familiar with. Obviously.
So you're saying its better to do nothing than risk your life for a greater good? If everyone thought that way, the civil rights movement wouldn't have happened if people were afraid to die. The same with blacks cleaning up their neighborhoods, it has to start somewhere. About 16 blacks are murdered everyday in the US and I seriously doubt that many witnesses would die everyday if they chose to stand up and rat out all the bad elements in their neighborhoods.

Also don't they have anonymous snitch lines that they could call and give info and even police protection if necessary? Seems like most blacks DON'T WANT TO turn in their own kind rather than not being able to. Most look like they'd rather live with the status quo and blame everyone else for their problems rather than taking a stand and making a serious effort to work with police to get rid of most or all of the most dangerous thugs from their communities.

We see how quickly blacks can rally together when one of their own is killed by a cop or a non-black, but why can't they rally and be just as angry and come out and protest just as loudly when blacks are killed by other blacks daily? Why are blacks who witness black on black crime not going to the police to help and also to demand justice like they are here?

Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,146,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I know what your saying. Just know that the expense of going through a trial to prove your innocence, whether you win or not, can be financially, physically and emotionally exhausting. It can be a huge setback in your life even if you did nothing wrong.

I speak from personal experience. Nearly lost my business.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
So you're saying its better to do nothing than risk your life for a greater good? If everyone thought that way, the civil rights movement wouldn't have happened if people were afraid to die. The same with blacks cleaning up their neighborhoods, it has to start somewhere. About 16 blacks are murdered everyday in the US and I seriously doubt that many witnesses would die everyday if they chose to stand up and rat out all the bad elements in their neighborhoods.

You say that from the comfort of your own home and from behind a computer. I agree with you in theory. But know reality is totally different.

And also, do you ever think that if there's corrupt Police (hence the likely reason for this thread), that there's not a risk that you could get killed even for doing the right thing?

Of course everybody can make their own decisions.

Also don't they have anonymous snitch lines that they could call and give info and even police protection if necessary? Seems like most blacks DON'T WANT TO turn in their own kind rather than not being able to. Most look like they'd rather live with the status quo and blame everyone else for their problems rather than taking a stand and making a serious effort to work with police to get rid of most or all of the most dangerous thugs from their communities.

You talk like we're all cousins and brothers and know each other. Do you feel the same for every white person you see? I kind of look at people in general. There's certain customs I use towards my own race, but that's about it. It has NOTHING to do with, "not wanting to turn in our own kind", and a lot more to do with survival.

There may be ways you can talk to Police. But that doesn't guarantee your safety.

We see how quickly blacks can rally together when one of their own is killed by a cop or a non-black, but why can't they rally and be just as angry and come out and protest just as loudly when blacks are killed by other blacks daily? Why are blacks who witness black on black crime not going to the police to help and also to demand justice like they are here?
There's lots of things "blacks" are doing that you don't know about. Hell, I'm working my ass off trying to help the problem. Others are risking THEIR LIVES. Your typing on a keyboard.

There's a lot of people working hard on the issue but it doesn't help when the policies and tactics being implemented and used are set by a completely different body not sensitive to the issue. From the War on Drugs to community development to job opportunities and social programs.

And don't act like its a "color" problem. There's distressed communities all over this countries and places where white people will kill you as fast as anybody. Don't be mistaken.

It's not an issue of race and more an issue of Socio Economics, culture and history imo.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,206,678 times
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/friend-of...apons/27397446

Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Completely different story than what the Police are saying.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,664,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Look, none of us know what happened at this point. There are conflicting reports at this time.

One thing for sure, whether in this or any situation where police are involved. The citizen does not get to decide if they were doing anything wrong. The smartest and safest thing to do is to not resist. Simple.

In a book by a former cop called--- "Arrest-Proof Yourself: An Ex-Cop Reveals How Easy It Is for Anyone to Get Arrested, How Even a Single Arrest Could Ruin Your Life, and What to do if the Police Get in your Face"----- the author talks about "proactive policing" practices that are so common now.

This policy calls for zero tolerance of petty offenses, like jaywalking, loitering. Supposedly this policy may have reduced crime a little, but in order to catch the rare bad guy, a lot of innocent people are scooped up and arrested for very petty offenses.

His advice is to not resist, and to answer all questions with minimal information, never let the police search you or your car (although under some conditions they have the right to), and pretty well say, "My name is......I want to see my lawyer so-and-so." He also recommends that if a cop is hassling you, you can at some point ask "Officer, am I free to leave?" because at that point legally the cop is required to state a reason for further engaging with you, otherwise they have to let you go on your way.

And you keep your arms and hands visible and at your sides, and don't wave them around in the cop's face or God forbid, touch the cop.

Last edited by ellemint; 08-10-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM

Another story that sounds like a completely different version of accounts than the Police/media gave.

Missouri Town Erupts In Protest After Police Shoot Unarmed Black Teenager | ThinkProgress

Piaget Crenshaw, a witness to the shooting, told Fox2 St. Louis that Brown and a friend, Dorin Johnson, were walking in the street when a police officer drove up and told them to get on the sidewalk. After a verbal confrontation, Crenshaw said the officer got out of his car and fired a shot and when the teens started running, fired another. “Crenshaw and Johnson say the teen [Brown] held up his hands to show he did not have a weapon, however the officer fired at him two more times and he collapsed and died in the street,” the news channel reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies