Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
All water under the bridge now. The democratic party leadership in 2003 were in favor of going to war, and they voted in favor of it. John Kerry, the democrats candidate for president, and the current Sec of State, voted for it.

You may not like it, but plenty of conservatives and libertarians were opposed to going to war with Saddam. Died in the wool Conservatives like Pat Buchanan were have shouting matches on TV and radio, stating their opposition to the Iraq war.

Like I said, it became nothing but water under the bridge once the bombs started falling. Once we destroyed the Iraqi military, and Saddam was captured and prosecuted, Iraq became our responsibility.

In 2003, we had this country without a government, without a national leader, and without a military or even police and fire departments. Abandoning them to their fate because "my guys didn't vote for this" is the attitude of a petulant child. Neener-neener-boo-boo is not an adult attitude to adopt when the fate of millions of innocent Iraqi men, women and children are at stake.

Here is one thing you can think on, Obama repeated the exact same mistake as Bush, when he went to war with Libya. Except Obama did not bother to get any votes form anyone in the House or Senate. And just like Iraq, Obama is fleeing the people there and leaving them to their own fate.

Maybe Bush was wrong going into Iraq, but Obama was too freaking stupid to learn from that, and did the same thing.
No it's not water under the bridge. It's objective reality.

conservatives pushed us into this doomed to failure war. conservatives were cheer leaders for this war.

That needs to never be forgotten.

You conservatives still don't get it, when you uninformed people pushed into this war, you were leaving these people to their fate with that decision. There was never a win here. Never a way to win this war. It was a doomed to fail mission.

Again, is any conservative intellectually curious enough to ask why couldn't GWBush remove combat troops even though he had nearly 6 yrs to get it right?

Answering this question gets to the fundamental truth that invading Iraq was a failure from the start. We sealed those peoples' fates when we let idiot conservatives push us to invade Iraq.

President Obama didn't do anything close to equivalent in Libya as GWBush did in Iraq.

To make that argument is just ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes conservatives you got everything wrong about the war in Iraq have proven themselves to be clueless and they should be humiliated and humbled at this epic disaster they cheer learde us into.

conservatives don't believe in small government.

Again, the majority(57%) of Democrats in Congress(house/senate)who voted, voted against the War. There was major opposition to the Iraq War within the Democratic Party.

conservatives were unanimous in there war mongering for the Iraq war. conservatives were pushing and pushing us to war

So the Democratic Party was deeply split on the War, with the majority on Vongress voting against it.

While the conservatives were nearly 100% for the war and pushing for us to invade Iraq.

Only in the fantasy filled minds of conservatives is the Democratic Party equally to blame.

If conservatives would have had 20% of the opposition to the war as Democrats we wouldn't have invaded Iraq.

Instead conservatives were all in and cheerleading is to go to war.

conservatives own this disaster.
You ignore a very important fact.

The dem Senate Majority Leader co-sponsored the bill.

THE HOUSE MINORITY LEADER, a dem also co-sponsored the House bill.

As we know, with Harry Reid, the SML can KILL ANY BILL by NOT allowing the rest of the Senate to act on it.

WITHOUT THE DEM SUPPORT, THE BILL WOULD HAVE DIED.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You ignore a very important fact.

The dem Senate Majority Leader co-sponsored the bill.

THE HOUSE MINORITY LEADER, a dem also co-sponsored the House bill.

As we know, with Harry Reid, the SML can KILL ANY BILL by NOT allowing the rest of the Senate to act on it.

WITHOUT THE DEM SUPPORT, THE BILL WOULD HAVE DIED.
I ignored nothing.

Again the Democratic Party was deeply divided. Given the vote if only a democrats would have voted.

we would not have invaded Iraq that's objective reality.

But because conservatives were nearly unanimous in cheer leading us into this disastrous war, they supplied nearly 100% of their votes in support of the war, and so we ended up going.

Those are the facts.

Democrats deeply split on the war with a majority in Congress voting against it.

conservatives cheerleading us into war with nearly 100% support

Only in the fantasy filled minds of conservatives are Democrats equally to blame.

In fact conservatives are nearly 100% to blame for this disaster.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I ignored nothing.

Again the Democratic Party was deeply divided. Given the vote if only a democrats would have voted.

we would not have invaded Iraq that's objective reality.

But because conservatives were nearly unanimous in cheer leading us into this disastrous war, they supplied nearly 100% of their votes in support of the war, and so we ended up going.

Those are the facts.

Democrats deeply split on the war with a majority in Congress voting against it.

conservatives cheerleading us into war with nearly 100% support

Only in the fantasy filled minds of conservatives are Democrats equally to blame.

In fact conservatives are nearly 100% to blame for this disaster.
I think I know fantasy and I am reading it.

Please explain how the Senate can pass a bill IF the Senate Majority Leader does NOT let it proceed in the Senate as ole harry has done over 300 times.

This ought to be interesting.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
So, no one disagrees with the premise and topic of this thread?

Obama was two-faced on troop withdrawal.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Why are there so many military "advisors" in Iraq? Is "advisor" code for "boots on the ground" until it's officially boots on the ground? This administration seems to rewrite definitions on a daily basis. Illegal went from being illegal, to undocumented Americans, to refugees.

130 Marines and special ops now going on an "advisory" mission. How many "advisors" are in Iraq now 500? 600? More??

US sends 130 more troops to Iraq - US News

Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
I'm not diverting from anything. You or any other poster are free to discuss whatever you want in this thread.

But my point is so compelling because it's reality.

That what GWBush or President Obama did following the horrible doomed to failure decision after we invaded Iraq, is the equivalent of moving chairs on the sinking titanic

The failure was the decision to invade Iraq.

Again, not one conservative has answered the question why couldn't GWBush get combat troops out, he had nearly 6yrs?

Why couldn't he do it?

Answering that question gets to the crux of the issue that this war was never going to be a win as the opponents of the war predicted.
Because bush knew if he pulled all them troops out the country would fall into chaos

Old 08-14-2014, 06:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
let's look at a timeline

2008: bush negotiated a pullout time line and SOFA: It established that U.S. combat forces would withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, and all U.S. forces will be completely out of Iraq by December 31, 2011......In 2008, when George W. Bush negotiated the first SOFA with Maliki, it was understood that additional negotiations would ensure a sufficient military presence in Iraq to maintain stability, and, most notably, to provide the U.S. with a forward operating capability on friendly turf in the region.

2008 candidate Obama: Obama supported removing all combat troops from Iraq within 16 months, saying, “I will remove one or two brigades a month, and get all of our combat troops out of Iraq within 16 months. The only troops I will keep in Iraq will perform the limited missions of protecting our diplomats and carrying out targeted strikes on al Qaeda. And I will launch the diplomatic and humanitarian initiatives that are so badly needed. Let there be no doubt: I will end this war.”

jan 2009 Obama takes office

2011 Iraq refuses to sign SOFA

On October 21, 2011, this headline appeared on the official White House Web site: “President Obama Has Ended the War in Iraq.”

In December 2011, a triumphant Obama declared Operation Iraqi Freedom a success and withdrew U.S. forces having failed to negotiate a status-of-forces agreement... “In the coming years Iraq’s economy will grow even faster than China’s or India’s. We’re building a new partnership between our nations and we are ending a war not with a final battle but with a final march toward home.”

also December 2011, when the U.S. troops were about to come home from Iraq, President Obama gave a speech at Fort Bragg in which he noted this “moment of success” and claimed that America was leaving behind a “sovereign, stable and independent Iraq.”

2012: During his campaign address in 2012, Obama drew applause every time he announced “I promised to end the war in Iraq, and I did.” ...... “Four years ago, I promised to end the war in Iraq. We did. I promised to refocus on the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11. And we have.”

2014 the liar in chief: Pulling All U.S. Troops Out of Iraq Was Not 'My Decision'

Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
let's look at a timeline

2008: bush negotiated a pullout time line and SOFA: It established that U.S. combat forces would withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, and all U.S. forces will be completely out of Iraq by December 31, 2011......In 2008, when George W. Bush negotiated the first SOFA with Maliki, it was understood that additional negotiations would ensure a sufficient military presence in Iraq to maintain stability, and, most notably, to provide the U.S. with a forward operating capability on friendly turf in the region.

2008 candidate Obama: Obama supported removing all combat troops from Iraq within 16 months, saying, “I will remove one or two brigades a month, and get all of our combat troops out of Iraq within 16 months. The only troops I will keep in Iraq will perform the limited missions of protecting our diplomats and carrying out targeted strikes on al Qaeda. And I will launch the diplomatic and humanitarian initiatives that are so badly needed. Let there be no doubt: I will end this war.”

jan 2009 Obama takes office

2011 Iraq refuses to sign SOFA

On October 21, 2011, this headline appeared on the official White House Web site: “President Obama Has Ended the War in Iraq.”

In December 2011, a triumphant Obama declared Operation Iraqi Freedom a success and withdrew U.S. forces having failed to negotiate a status-of-forces agreement... “In the coming years Iraq’s economy will grow even faster than China’s or India’s. We’re building a new partnership between our nations and we are ending a war not with a final battle but with a final march toward home.”

also December 2011, when the U.S. troops were about to come home from Iraq, President Obama gave a speech at Fort Bragg in which he noted this “moment of success” and claimed that America was leaving behind a “sovereign, stable and independent Iraq.”

2012: During his campaign address in 2012, Obama drew applause every time he announced “I promised to end the war in Iraq, and I did.” ...... “Four years ago, I promised to end the war in Iraq. We did. I promised to refocus on the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11. And we have.”

2014 the liar in chief: Pulling All U.S. Troops Out of Iraq Was Not 'My Decision'
"On October 21, 2011, this headline appeared on the official White House Web site: “President Obama Has Ended the War in Iraq.”

And to me this is the rub. The war was NOT over. Did anyone see a signing of surrender?

Did anyone see a great celebration from the Iraq people declaring victory?

We did NOT win. There was still a lot of work to do in getting the Iraq military up to speed. Our job of training them was NOT over.

Obama QUIT, plain and simple.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:57 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Go tell it on the Sinjar moun-tain
Over the hills and Isis everywhere
Go tell it on the moun-tain
That Obama said ain't no trouble there ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies