Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a waste of time, effort, and resources if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Another bad program was the 1st time home buyers program.

It spurred buyers for about 6 months, then after they bought houses the market went flat for 6 months since all the 1st timers were no longer in the market.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Cash for Clunkers was an incredibly stupid program. It's EXACTLY the type of moronic thinking I expect out of government.

To say nothing of the fact that it forced us taxpayers to subsidize rebates and discounting that was always between the auto manufacturers and their distribution partners (car dealers), it also took 750,000 cars out of the hands of the secondary market, thus driving up prices for people that were shopping for used cars. It also did damage to the parts recyclers, as these 750,000 cars were crushed and sold for scrap metal, instead of being parted out.

The real losers? As usual, the taxpayers, especially those that actually participated in the program. A fair amount of these sales were to people who honestly couldn't afford them, and weren't planning on making a car purchase at that time. Not surprisingly, another study by CNW Market Research found repossession rates among low-credit Cash-for-Clunkers buyers more than double the industry average.

Most people don't realize just how damaging this program was. But given how our President couldn't run a lemonade stand by himself, and had surrounded himself with worthless deadweight (remember his "car czar"?), it's hardly shocking that this worthless program had its origins in the Obama Administration.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I was just having a conversation about this with my father-in-law this past weekend..... before I was even aware of this study. I will forward this news story to him so that he can remove any skepticism he may have over my comments on this failed program. He didn't seem to think I was right...... he should know by now that I'm rarely wrong LOL

Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
I was looking at buying a used car for my oldest daughter. Prices are thru the roof. There was a big hole left in the market. Cars that should be selling on wholesale lots are retail prices 100k and above for darn near new prices.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
I was looking at buying a used car for my oldest daughter. Prices are thru the roof.
Yep. We bought our oldest a 20 year old car after the program was done, and we paid a lot more than I would have expected to pay for it prior to Cash for Clunkers.

We're going to be looking for something for our youngest soon - I'm not looking forward to seeing what older used cars are going for again.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What it did was destroy a LOT of good, marketable cars, that people who are not rich would normally drive. This raised the cost of used cars, and destroyed a lot of valuable vehicles that had a lot of life left in them.

Paying to destroy valuable things... it's what liberals do.
This, this, and this. All this did was remove a lot of mid-grade used vehicles out of the market. The true clunkers are still sitting in the backyard.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
It was a giant stimulus program disguised as an environmental exercise (get thirsty vehicles off the road and replace with more efficient ones). It hardly did anything at a national level for fuel consumption, and it temporarily drove the price of used cars up. It was environmentally wasteful because it destroyed 600,000 vehicles that otherwise had many years of service left.

It was a terrible idea.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What it did was destroy a LOT of good, marketable cars, that people who are not rich would normally drive. This raised the cost of used cars, and destroyed a lot of valuable vehicles that had a lot of life left in them.

Paying to destroy valuable things... it's what liberals do.
But the goal of the government has been achieved: more people can't afford a car, can't find a good job, need welfare or other support. And the government is happy to provide it to them.

The government grows at the expense of the middle class.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The idea that we can stimulate the economy by destroying useful assets is ludicrous on it's face. Nonetheless it does seem to come up regularly. It was debunked by 19th century economist Frederick Bastiat.
What is the broken window fallacy?

Cash for Clunkers may have been the dumbest of many dumb ideas to come out of this admin.
Oh sure throw common sense, reason and logic at us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies