Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Democrats and Libertarians are are close on the political compass. Democrats are usually social libertarians (well, their voter base is).

You obviously don't know what "left" means.
Democrats and Libertarians are close on the political compass????????

Wowsers.

I guess I'll be a real prick here and ask again: do you believe in the concept of private property as a commodity in the means of production?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Hey op. Libertarians support open borders. You ain't no libertarian.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:05 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
Most republican voting "libertarians" love big government. They want their state governments to give subsidies to big business and they call it "economic development". They also love to use state and local government to impose that restrict freedoms.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Because libertarians often want gay marriage and drugs to be legalized, to use two examples, liberals with a limited capacity for critical thinking see that as being similar to them.

They don't comprehend that the specific points where liberalism and libertarianism agree are not philosophical similarities, but rather specific points where diametrically opposed philosophies lead to the same conclusion on a limited basis.

Like I said in another thread, it's like how both the managers and the auto workers union at Ford would be happy to see restrictions on the importation of foreign cars, but that does not make business management and labor unions similar. America and the Soviet Union both banded together to defeat Hitler, but that did not make America and the Soviet Union compatible allies.

The liberal may applaud the libertarian for wanting to dismantle the ban on gay marriage. But then the liberal will look on in horror as the libertarian proceeds to dismantle the ban on discriminating against homosexuals as well. Because the libertarian has no interest in gay rights per se, but simply wants government power out of things entirely. The libertarian will be more than happy to let the gay couple get married, and will be equally happy to support the cake and dress makers' rights to refuse service to that gay couple. Some liberals don't get this.
Horrible example because the argument here isnt that the people are the same, but that their reasoning is the same.

the auto workers union and the Mangers both have the same reason for doing it, just as Liberals and Libertarians on gay marriage.

and the problem with your second example is the reason why their are currently no libertarians in the US legislature.

Ideology =/= practicality

everyone is ok with other peoples morals until one person deems themselves more moral than the next.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Hey op. Libertarians support open borders. You ain't no libertarian.

That is not really true alot of Libertarians see the flaws of having a open border.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
That is not really true alot of Libertarians see the flaws of having a open border.
If someone can see the flaws of open boarders then can they also see the flaws in getting rid of non discrimination laws ????

Old 08-13-2014, 02:36 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Most republican voting "libertarians" love big government. They want their state governments to give subsidies to big business and they call it "economic development". They also love to use state and local government to impose that restrict freedoms.
How do you figure that because I think both of those conclusions are incorrect. I get aggravated by both parties but will vote against the Dems because they are the party that is the bigger threat to freedom and fights adherence to the Constitution.

I don't love big government and expect that the Fed government not spend more than they take in through taxes. I support economic development, (who doesn't?) but I certainly wasn't in favor of Obama, nancy and Harry giving Trillions to their rich fat cat buddies on Wall Street even though it's personally made me even wealthier. There was nothing worth saddling future generations with Trillions in debt to pay for in that huge immoral drunken sailor spending spree (apologies to drunken sailors).

I voted for legalization of gay marriage and legalization of pot in our state (both passed) last election because I wanted to reduce the power of government to control peoples lives. In this case, my vote was the same as the Democrat but for different reasons....they (Leftist Democrat but not Liberal Libertarian Dem) wanted to support the gay lifestyle for votes and support pot legalization to gain additional monies to buy more votes while I wanted to take the power of government to control away.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:07 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Yes cities do benefit, and the people who live in the are safer and freeer because of them.
Well, I suppose we need to discuss what I mean by "cities".

When I think of cities, I think of a New York City.

While I understand your point that it is nice for citizens to be able to defend themselves. It is somewhat complicated in a place where there are so many people in such close proximity. Take for instance a Japan. With their subways so crowded, they actually have people whose job it is to push people onto the trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0A9-oUoMug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtOdSgf6Ic

Having a bunch of people open-carrying in Tokyo isn't probably the wisest of ideas. And the same logic goes for New York City.

Let alone the fact that an accidental discharge of a firearm in New York City could do a lot of damage.

It isn't unreasonable for a place like New York City to want to abolish any sort of general right to carry a gun(be it open or concealed). Though I would acknowledge there might be a benefit of a right to have a gun in your house. But even then, a discharge in a crowded apartment building, even in self-defense, could actually do more harm than good.

The nature of the disagreement about guns, seems to derive from the inability for people to understand the complexities of varying environments. As a result, society tends towards a single policy for all. Which necessarily ignores and disparages a large fraction of the population.

I don't know the best path forward. But I know that open carrying in New York City just sounds like a really bad idea.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If someone can see the flaws of open boarders then can they also see the flaws in getting rid of non discrimination laws ????
So a lot of libertarians see the flaws in libertarianism and choose to simply start making an exception list. Yeah, that'll work out great.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Lol. Here you are, complaining about certain people claiming to be libertarian, and you yourself are guilty of that which you see in others. Simply amazing.

There are flaws in everything. What political ideology we fall under is not dictated by any ability to see flaws. It is dictated by our support and opposition to issues. As someone who vehemently opposes immigration, you are no libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies