Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,986,535 times

Advertisements

How sad and pathetic that a few people have no reasonable, logical or scientific logic to bolster their argument so they always resort to ranting about their personal religious beliefs.

It is circular reasoning.

This thread is about US law, the US court system, the legality of same sex marriages, and public opinion on marriage equality.

Do you have religious issues? TAKE IT TO THE RELIGION FORUM.

Throughout history people have justified prejudice and discrimination in the name of religion.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,900,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Don't force me to ridicule your beliefs as superstitions or fairy tales. It makes me uncomfortable to criticize other people's belief systems, but understand your religious beliefs are your own and are meaningless to me and millions of other Americans.

We do not live in a Theocracy.

You can not force your religious doctrines or dogmas on other people.
And yet, Christian fundamentalists never stop trying. They would be so much happier moving to a Muslim controlled country and living under Sharia Law. It's everything they want in a state religion except the name of the deity. Change Allah to God and they are good to go.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,259,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Agreed, and JJ should follow her own advice and let us live our lives the way WE so shall choose and have chosen and will continue to do so.
No one is stopping you from living as you see fit. You are the one who is trying to stop me from having the same legal protections you have. No one is going to force you to marry someone of the same sex.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,986,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And yet, Christian fundamentalists never stop trying. They would be so much happier moving to an Muslim controlled country and living under Sharia Law. It's everything they want in a state religion except the name of the deity. Change Allah to God and they are good to go.
Personally I think these religious fanatics who are so intolerant of other people - not just gay folks, but Jews, Buddhists, atheists, Wiccans, agnostics, etc. - aren't even true or authentic "Christians." They follow a corrupted form of Christianity and use it to justify their bigotry.

Bigotry in the name of religion is still bigotry.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,022,186 times
Quote:
Personally I think these religious fanatics who are so intolerant of other people - not just gay folks, but Jews, Buddhists, atheists, Wiccans, agnostics, etc. - aren't even true or authentic "Christians." They follow a corrupted form of Christianity and use it to justify their bigotry.

Bigotry in the name of religion is still bigotry.

Not exactly following Christ's teachings of leading others to Christ, spreading the gospel or the good word, are they? Me thinks that the fundamentalists need to rethink their "marketing plan."

Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,016,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In all fairness, my answer is just "Who cares if two men or two women want to get married?"

Do their "marriages" hurt America? Nope Do their "marriages" threat my heterosexual relationships and life styles? Nope. I will just choose to let them be.

It’s ridiculous, it’s time-consuming to focus on gay/lesbian marriage issue and it’s taking focus away from where it should be — on economic issues.

Gay marriage, Religiously, I don’t agree with it, but at the same time I don’t really care. If marriages make these people happy, I say go for it.

I think gays and lesbians should have the exact same right as heterosexual people. Why shouldn't they?
Exactly!
I find it intriguing that the homosexual community wants nothing to do with iron-clad copper bottomed "civil union contracts" that would grant them the same rights and privileges as "married" heterosexual couples. Oh, no, they want the MARRIAGE! Nothing else will do!
OK, I just don't care anymore. Let them have it, along with all the problems associated with it!
I still say it is absolutely hilarious that one of the first homosexual couples that legally "tied the knot" barely lasted a year before filing for divorce! IIRC, they had been a "couple" for something like 20 years, but apparently couldn't survive the total commitment that comes with MARRIAGE!
Even funnier was the couple who filed for divorce, and the judge told them there was no provision in state law to grant a divorce to a same sex couple, they could not have it.
Are the stories true? I don't know, but they are hilarious IMO.
As far as such marriages being an abomination to God, that is God's problem, not mine. HE can deal with it when the time comes. HE sits on the Judgement Seat, I don't.
So, let the GOVERNMENT give them a MARRIAGE LICENSE, and let some official authorized by said GOVERNMENT perform the ceremony for them. I just don't care.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,259,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Exactly!
I find it intriguing that the homosexual community wants nothing to do with iron-clad copper bottomed "civil union contracts" that would grant them the same rights and privileges as "married" heterosexual couples. Oh, no, they want the MARRIAGE! Nothing else will do!
OK, I just don't care anymore. Let them have it, along with all the problems associated with it!
I still say it is absolutely hilarious that one of the first homosexual couples that legally "tied the knot" barely lasted a year before filing for divorce! IIRC, they had been a "couple" for something like 20 years, but apparently couldn't survive the total commitment that comes with MARRIAGE!
Even funnier was the couple who filed for divorce, and the judge told them there was no provision in state law to grant a divorce to a same sex couple, they could not have it.
Are the stories true? I don't know, but they are hilarious IMO.
As far as such marriages being an abomination to God, that is God's problem, not mine. HE can deal with it when the time comes. HE sits on the Judgement Seat, I don't.
So, let the GOVERNMENT give them a MARRIAGE LICENSE, and let some official authorized by said GOVERNMENT perform the ceremony for them. I just don't care.
One little problem, most states banned even civil unions. Some states even ban any contract approximating marriage for same sex couples. That and not one state has a civil union that is recognized by the federal government for the 1,100+ benefits and protections that a marriage license will grant.

The only reason that civil unions are being mentioned now is that those states are losing in court. If there were a serious push to make civil unions the same as a federally recognized marriage BEFORE states started losing, you may have a point, but there hasn't been any bill put forward to make that happen.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM

4,784 posts, read 3,316,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
One little problem, most states banned even civil unions. Some states even ban any contract approximating marriage for same sex couples. That and not one state has a civil union that is recognized by the federal government for the 1,100+ benefits and protections that a marriage license will grant.

The only reason that civil unions are being mentioned now is that those states are losing in court. If there were a serious push to make civil unions the same as a federally recognized marriage BEFORE states started losing, you may have a point, but there hasn't been any bill put forward to make that happen.
That is exactly right. Many that talk civil union fail to realize gay couples come up short.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,798,662 times
Quote:
How sad and pathetic that a few people have no reasonable, logical or scientific logic to bolster their argument so they always resort to ranting about their personal religious beliefs.

It is circular reasoning.

This thread is about US law, the US court system, the legality of same sex marriages, and public opinion on marriage equality.

Do you have religious issues? TAKE IT TO THE RELIGION FORUM.

Throughout history people have justified prejudice and discrimination in the name of religion.

And, isn't it funny how so many posters become so religious, whenever the SSM issue comes up? Why don't we see these posters on issues regarding divorce, birth control, fornication, adultery, children born out of wedlock, working on Saturdays/Sundays, wearing blended fabrics, eating shellfish, support for slavery and against miscegenation? No support for executions of women who are not virgins at the time of their wedding? How about playing god with invitro-fertilization? Why don't we see these people post against gambling, and the sale of alcohol? It seems for these reasons, these same people consider such scripture, now, all of a sudden archaic perhaps.

The real truth is there is no proven reason why gays should not be allowed to marry. There has never been anything negative that has come about by allowing gays to marry, so haters have to make up reasons.

Add to that, understanding the history of a religious institution involves understanding concepts and language within their historical and cultural context, none of which those who use religion as their convenient crutch seem to understand.

Last edited by 9162; 08-29-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM

15,896 posts, read 21,513,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is forbidden by God, our creator. He makes the rules.
Be careful what you wish for. If G-d made the rules, your church would be seen as heresy. Check in with a rabbi for more information. On the other hand, we might both be wrong and Zeus might not be too pleased right now.

But since we're talking about secular, civil law, it doesn't really matter what either of our individual religious beliefs say now does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies