Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

The "pro 'gay marriage' crowd like to claim that Americans are coming around to accept homosexuality and gay "marriage" in the 21st Century (which seems to have for them some almost magical meaning).

But is this really true?
"There are currently nineteen states that have legalized same-sex marriage, of those nineteen just three have done so as a result of the popular vote of the people (Maine, 2012; Maryland, 2013; Washington, 2012.) On this topic at least, the desire of the voting public is secondary to the desire of the judicial ruling class. And it is a very small class indeed. Our nation’s direction as it relates to gay-marriage is being determined not by the tabulation of hundreds of thousands if not millions of votes per state. No, it is being determined by men like Richard Young."

"Mr. Young is a U.S. District Court Judge in Indiana who struck down the state’s constitutional definition of marriage (as voted upon by the majority if residents of the state) as being between one man and one woman."

Articles: Gay Marriage -- the Chicken or the Egg?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
No, that's a statistical fabrication. It's a lie. The vast majority of states have voted for marriage as only between one man and one woman.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No, that's a statistical fabrication. It's a lie. The vast majority of states have voted for marriage as only between one man and one woman.
You're counting votes going all the way back to what, 1998?

The OP asked about the trend, and while I would not say there is "overwhelming" support at this point, every recent poll suggests at least a solid majority in support.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You're counting votes going all the way back to what, 1998?

The OP asked about the trend, and while I would not say there is "overwhelming" support at this point, every recent poll suggests at least a solid majority in support.
I know this is an unwinable discussion, but those statistics are purposeful lies to sway public opinion, not reflect public opinion. The polls that say most Americans want gun control or immigration reform are the same. Lies.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
In all fairness, my answer is just "Who cares if two men or two women want to get married?"

Do their "marriages" hurt America? Nope Do their "marriages" threat my heterosexual relationships and life styles? Nope. I will just choose to let them be.

It’s ridiculous, it’s time-consuming to focus on gay/lesbian marriage issue and it’s taking focus away from where it should be — on economic issues.

Gay marriage, Religiously, I don’t agree with it, but at the same time I don’t really care. If marriages make these people happy, I say go for it.

I think gays and lesbians should have the exact same right as heterosexual people. Why shouldn't they?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In all fairness, my answer is just "Who cares if two men or two women want to get married?"
Because it's an immoral union and an abomination to God.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,655 times
marriage should have been a religious thing without government intervention of anything including any subsidies.
but government had to get involved somehow and now gays are complaining.

marriage in reality is in fact religious after all.

government just chose to make it part of government then they gave all these subsidies to the married couple and now gays want them too.

You see. if gov got out of the way from the start and let them be people can marry or associate with whomever they wish, just no tax breaks no one would even complain.

the gays would have to complain to their local minister not the government
but now they are complaining about legalization of it.

WHO THE HELL CARES?

gays are making too much noise and frankly most just don't care except gays and religious folk.

perhaps instead of regulation of marriage at all
government should step aside take away all perks and let religion deal with it

if religious people still want to have a say in what marriage is that is
take away all perks and see if the gays are continuing to badger the government to make it legal or illegal.

at that point government cannot do anything.

but married people tax breaks
may as well give it to everyone then instead of targeting specific groups for tax breaks.

I think that is what their true goal is as they want just the tax perks.
gays+ lesbians moral argument is really directed to the religious people then and not to the nation.

most other people just don't care.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,237 times
Quote:
Can you answer a serious question? What does your God have to do with me? I don't believe.

And marriage is not a religious institution but a civil one, coming forth for the protection of property and assets. Holy matrimony does not grant a marriage license.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times
I like how marriage was "an obsolete relic"...just a "piece of paper" and a "patriarchal ceremony"....until the gays wanted it.

Now it is the most important thing in the world.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
well, as long as they don't turn you gay or lesbian, why worry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies