Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Drunk driving and corruption are not the same thing, though she was an idiot to get behind the wheel. However, she's certainly not the first person to get arrested for drunk driving. She plead guilty and served jail time. If she was corrupt, she would have used her authority and connections to get the charges dropped. She did not do this. I do not see a reason she should lose her job over a mistake she paid for.

The entire thing seems like a political fight, and actually could be an abuse of power by Perry.
The issue at hand seems to be that Perry threatened to defund the department before actually doing so. I don't know TX law, but it would seem reasonable to let people know that you will defund something unless a certain convicted person steps down.

Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for veto threat

No one disputes that Perry is allowed to veto measures approved by the Legislature, including part or all of the state budget. But the left-leaning Texans for Public Justice government watchdog group filed an ethics complaint accusing the governor of coercion because he threatened to use his veto before actually doing so in an attempt to pressure Lehmberg to quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,978,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually he set himself up for it.

From a article:
So, let me get this straight...

A governor vetoes legislation, and that's an indictable crime?

And a governor insisting that a "public integrity" office not be held by someone who was convicted of DWI is a "setup for indictment"?

Seems to me this is abuse of a grand jury.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The issue at hand seems to be that Perry threatened to defund the department before actually doing so. I don't know TX law, but it would seem reasonable to let people know that you will defund something unless a certain convicted person steps down.

Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for veto threat

No one disputes that Perry is allowed to veto measures approved by the Legislature, including part or all of the state budget. But the left-leaning Texans for Public Justice government watchdog group filed an ethics complaint accusing the governor of coercion because he threatened to use his veto before actually doing so in an attempt to pressure Lehmberg to quit.
But when the leftists want the IRS to abuse the TEA Party, it's "doing their job".

Hypocrisy is a virtue, apparently, for the left.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 PM

17,455 posts, read 9,288,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Since you were obviously too excited to start a new thread and provide a link, I shall do so for you:

Grand Jury Indicts Perry Over Integrity Unit Veto | The Texas Tribune

You're welcome.

By the by: I predict the indictment will be quashed.
Really? I thought it was a Criminal Offense with Prison time to use VETO power as Governor or even as President. They don't have that right or authority. :roll eyes:

I guess the Leftists are worried about Perry again. How odd that they feel they have to strike hard to try and keep candidates out of races.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balconesfault View Post
Lehmburg is not only an attorney who heads up the office that oversees the "Public Integrity Unit", she is the DISTRICT ATTORNEY for Travis County (Austin). She had to be restrained by the arresting officers and jailers because she was kicking and banging he head on the jail door, cussing out, threatening, and spitting on jailers.

Her BAC was .32

Travis County DA Rosemary Lehmberg Drunk Driving Arrest Dash Cam - YouTube

TRAVIS COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY LEHMBERG'S BOOKING FOOTAGE KOKE FM 042113 - YouTube
Seems pretty drunk to me. After she was released from jail, did she make an effort to have the charges dropped? Is that even possible in this day and age of dash cams? It seems to me that someone should not necessarily lose their job because of a crime she paid for, unless it was a violent crime. Perhaps hypocritical and unethical, but if you got a DUI would you think you should lose your job?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times
Quote:
Seems pretty drunk to me. After she was released from jail, did she make an effort to have the charges dropped? Is that even possible in this day and age of dash cams? It seems to me that someone should not necessarily lose their job because of a crime she paid for, unless it was a violent crime. Perhaps hypocritical and unethical, but if you got a DUI would you think you should lose your job?
For public office? Usually state Gov's are pretty strict on that. Think if Holder was arrested for DWI. He would most likely resign the next day.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Drunk driving and corruption are not the same thing, though she was an idiot to get behind the wheel. However, she's certainly not the first person to get arrested for drunk driving. She plead guilty and served jail time. If she was corrupt, she would have used her authority and connections to get the charges dropped. She did not do this. I do not see a reason she should lose her job over a mistake she paid for.
If you don't understand why someone who willfully breaks the law in a dangerous way to other people should not head a unit whose purpose is to make people obey the law.... Nobody can help you understand it.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It doesn't matter. Rick Perry's political career is over and that has nothing to do with this indictment.

He will never be President and that has nothing to do with this indictment.

He knows nothing about policy, nothing about national issues. He was almost as bad on the stump as Sarah Palin.
Only to you. You voted for Obama, I'm sure, who knows NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING. Palin's policy prescriptions are some of the best ANYONE has offered over the last 4 years, that includes foreign policy, domestic, tax, and even state vs federal matters. Palin's always right on the money. Obama is never not wrong. Period.

Quote:
He will disappear from public after the 2016 elections. Maybe he goes to jail or resigns or maybe not.

He'll probably wind up on some corporate board of some equity firm or defense contractor or oil company heck maybe all three.

But people like Rick Perry are taken seriously by conservatives. Rick Perry like Palin is a collection of word vomit like talking points.

conservatives are truly post policy with men like Rick Perry as their standard bearer.
Your hate is the only consistent thing about you.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I hope he gets a 400 pound cellmate called "Tiny" who thinks he has a pretty mouth.

Grand jury indicts Texas Gov. Rick Perry

Old 08-15-2014, 06:26 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,060,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
wow!!!!!

I wonder which liberal set him up.
Threatening to veto is against the law?

"A special prosecutor spent months calling witnesses and presenting evidence that Perry broke the law when he promised publicly to nix $7.5 million over two years for the public integrity unit, which is run by Travis County District Rosemary Lehmberg's office... Perry said Lehmberg, who is based in Austin, should resign after she was arrested and plead guilty to drunken driving in April 2013. A video recording made at the jail showed Lehmberg shouting at staffers to call the sheriff, kicking the door of her cell and sticking her tongue out. Lehmberg served about half of her 45-day jail sentence but stayed in office, despite Perry's assertions that her behavior was inappropriate."

Texas Gov. Perry indicted for alleged abuse of power for veto threat | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies