Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You've never heard of a capital strike, have you?
Neither have I, but I am happy to learn something new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The stagnation isn't happening in all countries.
GM is building 5 new plants in China and spending $12 billion so they are spending their money.
Aren't ya glad we bailed them out and took the loss for them ?
This is the new business model.

It use to be post WW2 that a business built a factory overseas to SELL product into the local market. Since the 80's, businesses increasingly build a factory overseas and IMPORT the product back into the USA.

Can we look forward to the Japanese auto companies to shut down their American plants and build elsewhere and follow the example of GM?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Grow up or stop posting to me, tired of the childish behavior you insist on displaying when replying to my posts.
YOU are the one acting like a child. I posted FACTS, dont want to address them, dont..

Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHero View Post
Actually, their right. American Businesses are greedier then ever. I grew up in America where a man knew that he could live just as well with 250 million dollar as he could with 500 million. Today, that man is hoarding it, because America has become the land of greed. I got mine. ********* if there none left for you.

Wal-mart is a prime example of this. I've worked at Waltons-era Walmart. It was still a slave shop, but it at least had soul. We met Sam Walton personally at one of his shops. He wasn't likeable, but I'd take him any day over one of his greedy kids. I've never worked in the new Walmarts, but seeing how they treat their employees, I'll never shop there.
Explain to me how someone hoards $500m?

To my knowledge, they put that money in the bank, the stock market, which then gets reinvested out into society..

Please explain to me this new found method of hoarding money and not putting it back out into society.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When auto workers in Detroit are effectively getting paid 40 dollars an hour, and cars cost 30,000 to buy a decent one, yeah, I don't mind them lowering their cost if its passed on to me as a consumer.

I am not in favor of trying to save manufacturing jobs from going overseas. I feel that automation will take most of those jobs, so what do I care if they are in China? The jobs of the future will be engineering, technical, food production, or service industry.
In the dawn of the microcomputer age, there were pundits who said with a straight face that we should export all those "dirty"' jobs offshore, and retrain all those steel workers and auto workers to be computer programmers.

How's that worked out over the last 35 years?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
YOU are the one acting like a child. I posted FACTS, dont want to address them, dont..
I see you made your choice, done wasting time with you.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
I see so business should run more like the federal government...hmmm...18 trillion in debt and climbing.

Gee I wish I could run a business with 18 trillion in debt and still stay in business while golfing in Martha's vineyard.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-do...153656998.html
run for President...

Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When auto workers in Detroit are effectively getting paid 40 dollars an hour, and cars cost 30,000 to buy a decent one, yeah, I don't mind them lowering their cost if its passed on to me as a consumer.

I am not in favor of trying to save manufacturing jobs from going overseas. I feel that automation will take most of those jobs, so what do I care if they are in China? The jobs of the future will be engineering, technical, food production, or service industry.
LOL..yeah just hold your breath that GM is going to "lower" the cost of cars in the US.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
This is the new business model.

It use to be post WW2 that a business built a factory overseas to SELL product into the local market. Since the 80's, businesses increasingly build a factory overseas and IMPORT the product back into the USA.

Can we look forward to the Japanese auto companies to shut down their American plants and build elsewhere and follow the example of GM?
In the case of Japan it was just the opposite. Toyotas and Hondas used to be too expensive when imported.
Remember that ?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, you got what I mostly meant. The only exception is that the CEO class often goes on capital strike more often with Democrats is because they want to put a damper on the Democrats so they don't get too uppity in enacting reforms and policies that matter more to the non-CEO class among us.
That's part of it, for the CEO class, sure. I was speaking in terms of the broader base of the "business environment" as a national entity. That entity hates uncertainty, and Democrat politicians excel at gold medal levels where creation of uncertainty is concerned.

The CEO class strongarms both parties as you say, but yeah, they do it to Democrats more often because Democrats talk tougher about attacking the CEO class in the name of the unwashed masses. Obama is seeing a bigger capital strike than normal because he's so unrepentant about his attacks on the corporate class. You cannot excoriate people every time you get in front of a microphone and not expect them to defend themselves with what resources and tactics they are good at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies