Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Hockey Player View Post
That's funny you mention conservatives preferring to use science, because I'm sure many of the loons in Texas and Alabama and the like will disagree with you. Conservatives hate science almost as much as they hate minorities.
It's amazing how some (hint: you) believe this to be a valid argument. Bigotry and generalizations towards others isn't a valid argument no matter who it is directed at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
That's funny you mention conservatives preferring to use science . . .
The fact that the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the American Psychiatric Society, and the American Public Health Association disagree with McHugh surely has nothing to do with science.

Just crazy, isn't it.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
That's funny you mention conservatives preferring to use science, because I'm sure many of the loons in Texas and Alabama and the like will disagree with you. Conservatives hate science almost as much as they hate minorities.
So you agree with the liberal bias portion but disagree with the conservative bias statement I made?

I had no idea the articles I posted presented any bias one way or the other.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The fact that the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the American Psychiatric Society, and the American Public Health Association disagree with McHugh surely has nothing to do with science.

Just crazy, isn't it.
I would not get carried away with that. More a propensity by such groups to agree on a view whether right or wrong. And on much of this stuff I think the right versus wrong is about as solid as a coin toss.

A magnificent edifice built on a hill of sand may be less than long lived.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:46 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would not get carried away with that. More a propensity by such groups to agree on a view whether right or wrong. And on much of this stuff I think the right versus wrong is about as solid as a coin toss.
It's a matter of weight. Go with one retired doctor citing old scholarship or that group of organizations? Logic dictates the latter. Exceptions exist, of course. But we are talking about a paradigm shift in a scientific field, when this weighting might be correctly inverted. But a paradigm shift doesn't occur from out-dated research.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:48 PM

31,071 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Really could care less if someone wants to lop off their penis or sew up their vagina. I just shouldn't have to pay for it vis-a-vis my tax dollars.
I wander how you are going to separate gender reassigment from good old fasion genital mutilation. How is splitting someones penis down the middle any different than lopping it off Either way, if they're adults they can pay for it themselves.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
When will bigotry be classified as a mental disorder?

Also, I wonder why he's the former Chief Psychiatrist.

If you want to talk about the medical community allowing people to indulge in their dysfunctional whims, talk about how obesity is more socially acceptable than being LGBT.
McDLT is "acceptable." let me ask you a question. I believe people are born gay. no question about that. people are born sexually attracted to certain people. why the hell do you believe people get to choose their sex? I am not saying they aren't entitled to mutate their bodies, but no one in their right mind is gonna take these idiots seriously.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I wander how you are going to separate gender reassigment from good old fasion genital mutilation.
Choice.

Quote:
How is splitting someones penis down the middle any different than lopping it off Either way, if they're adults they can pay for it themselves.
That is a separate argument.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
When will bigotry be classified as a mental disorder?

Also, I wonder why he's the former Chief Psychiatrist.

If you want to talk about the medical community allowing people to indulge in their dysfunctional whims, talk about how obesity is more socially acceptable than being LGBT.
So you get on your moral high horse and look down your nose at the bigotry of others. You then promptly comment on it being socially unacceptable for someone to eat more than you want them to eat. Nevermind that a thyroid disorder, imbalanced metabolism, side effects from certain medications, disabilities and disorders preventing exercise, depression, etc can all cause obesity.

You are are a real piece of work, my friend. You get an A+ in hypocrisy.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
All I know is, HE has a PhD after his name, and SHOULD know what he is talking about.
All I have after my name is A&P and USN(ret), and I have no idea what he is talking about.
However, I certainly DO have opinions! IMO, any person who is living in a male body (as defined by the genitalia present on the body), but thinks he is a female, most certainly DOES have mental and/or emotional problems!
As for "fixing" what Nature gave him, when the surgeons can do the gender reassignment is such a way that he/she can carry a normal pregnancy, created in the normal way, to a normal full term birth, AND feed the child in the way nature intended, then I may accept her into my family. Until that time, I would not want any of my kids to marry it.
Of course, that applies to gender reassignment in the opposite direction, too.

Oh, and until the gender changeover is complete, that person, IMO, MUST use the facilities required by the plumbing installed by nature in/on the body!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies