Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Because some peoples ideologies/agendas require a strict all or nothing thought process.

If your against the ACA then you want to throw Grandma off a cliff.
If your for welfare reform then you want children starving in the streets.

If you want smaller, less intrusive government then you must be an Anarchist.

It's really all stems from the same low brow, lack of critical thinking skills and blind allegiance to big government, nanny state liberalism.

Yep. That about sums it up.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
forgive me, but I don't understand this:

In one paragraph it says....

[/list]And in another paragraph it says this:

I do not understand and to me, it is great contradiction of each other?

if the protestors vandalize and loot, who will enforce that if the Police Departments stand down?

Doesn't make sense?
I think the distinction is between looters and observers.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think the distinction is between looters and observers.
ok, I'm sorry, draw me pictures b/c I'm unable to understand....

Again, if the police are asked to stand down, who will make the looters accountable, how will they be caught and made to pay the consequences?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
You do realize if there was no government everything would be taken over by private enterprise, right? I'm not going to go as far as to say the government is our friend, but at least they are accountable to the general public on a certain level. Private enterprises aren't always bad, but their prime motivation is profit. Without a government the more unsavory corporations would be free to exploit people in any way they want. Comcast could charge you $200 a week for your Internet connection and you'd just have to pony it up or live like it's 1985.

The police would all be privatized so you'd either have amateur security guards going around and killing people on a regular basis or you would simply have mob rule and people suspected of crimes would be killed in gruesome ways by their neighbors without any trial. I'm not a huge fan of cops myself but I respect them because I know that if the average citizen was dishing out justice they would be far less forgiving and more likely to hurt innocent people.

Piracy and human trafficking would explode in prevalence due to the lack of law enforcement and child labor would become the norm since there would no longer be public schools. It would be like the old days when only rich kids were able to have an education while the rest worked in fields and factories. And all the gun nuts in right wing states would finally be able to go out and become the warlords they have fantasized about being for so long.

Oh yeah and if you're an atheist and support anarchy or libertarianism, you are inadvertently supporting religion too, since aside from private enterprise and government the most powerful organizations are religious ones. Without a welfare system poor people would be forced to rely on religious charity (and theft), and the middle class would live in gated communities ala South Africa to get away from the desperate indigent who will steal from them if it means their kids don't starve. If you think panhandlers are annoying now try dealing with 20 times more of them.

It would be the end of civil rights since nobody could enforce anti-discrimination laws and the wealth gap between the majority and the minority would only grow due to the nature of capitalism. Eventually this would lead to a race/class war as people became more and more desperate. If you think Ferguson is bad...
When you use Libertarianism and Anarchy as if they are similar you lose ALL credibility.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
You do realize if there was no government everything would be taken over by private enterprise, right? I'm not going to go as far as to say the government is our friend, but at least they are accountable to the general public on a certain level. Private enterprises aren't always bad, but their prime motivation is profit. Without a government the more unsavory corporations would be free to exploit people in any way they want. Comcast could charge you $200 a week for your Internet connection and you'd just have to pony it up or live like it's 1985.

The police would all be privatized so you'd either have amateur security guards going around and killing people on a regular basis or you would simply have mob rule and people suspected of crimes would be killed in gruesome ways by their neighbors without any trial. I'm not a huge fan of cops myself but I respect them because I know that if the average citizen was dishing out justice they would be far less forgiving and more likely to hurt innocent people.

Piracy and human trafficking would explode in prevalence due to the lack of law enforcement and child labor would become the norm since there would no longer be public schools. It would be like the old days when only rich kids were able to have an education while the rest worked in fields and factories. And all the gun nuts in right wing states would finally be able to go out and become the warlords they have fantasized about being for so long.

Oh yeah and if you're an atheist and support anarchy or libertarianism, you are inadvertently supporting religion too, since aside from private enterprise and government the most powerful organizations are religious ones. Without a welfare system poor people would be forced to rely on religious charity (and theft), and the middle class would live in gated communities ala South Africa to get away from the desperate indigent who will steal from them if it means their kids don't starve. If you think panhandlers are annoying now try dealing with 20 times more of them.

It would be the end of civil rights since nobody could enforce anti-discrimination laws and the wealth gap between the majority and the minority would only grow due to the nature of capitalism. Eventually this would lead to a race/class war as people became more and more desperate. If you think Ferguson is bad...

Can we have government without class warfare? This simple proposition appears to be less and less likely.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The government is only needed to enforce private property rights.

Which currently amounts to class warfare, protectionism for incumbent property owners, and the exclusion and exploitation of non-owners.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I'm not familiar with Australia (I'm American) but I am familiar with the inner city scum in the city I grew up in and it's appalling they are allowed to go on living like they are with no repercussions. Our children's children will no doubt be in a world of **** when this comes back around to haunt us. As I said it's already kind of here with the crime rate so appallingly high in this country.
I know you don't mean those "homeless" cults who occupy the corners of 94 and Lexington, and 694 and White Bear Avenue. Those people really need help.....

Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I know you don't mean those "homeless" cults who occupy the corners of 94 and Lexington, and 694 and White Bear Avenue. Those people really need help.....:
Not sure the point of your post?

Your sentence doesn't have anything in relation to the (my) post you quoted.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
When you use Libertarianism and Anarchy as if they are similar you lose ALL credibility.
The type of anarchy where people want to riot, overthrow the government, etc. isn't similar to libertarianism, so you're right about that. Something like anarcho-capitalism is actually considered a form of libertarianism because the principles are the same. Respect for property rights, non-aggression...it's just that minarchist libertarians think a limited government is necessary even if it goes against those principles (and the AnCap doesn't compromise those principles for any reason, so they disagree that it's necessary).

Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That's one of the most absurd comparisons I've ever read on this forum.
Why? Its a perfectly accurate comparison, Stalin truly believed his theories would work, he was not trying to starve folks. Its a perfect comparison. You just don't like it because it reflects negatively on people who believe in their pet theories.

And labeling folks disparagingly is a common way of dehumanizing them. Again a VERY common thing to do. Done most famously by Germany towards the Jews (also interestingly enough calling them "parasites", but theres a TON of other examples throughout history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies