Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,124,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Unfortunately things like this can happen these days. Had the school done nothing and it turned out to be a cryptic message and the kid later brought a gun to school to "take care of business" then people would be calling out for the school to have done something to prevent this from happening and fault them for missing these signs.

If anything, the kid has learned a lesson about joking and when it is and isn't acceptable.
This is a ridiculous stretch, even for you Urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,608,205 times
Quote:
Unfortunately things like this can happen these days. Had the school done nothing and it turned out to be a cryptic message and the kid later brought a gun to school to "take care of business" then people would be calling out for the school to have done something to prevent this from happening and fault them for missing these signs.

If anything, the kid has learned a lesson about joking and when it is and isn't acceptable.
He was suspended and arrested.... There are ways to handled the situation without making the kid out to be a criminal.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,755,789 times

Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,440,542 times
Quote:
And yet when a kid brings a gun to school and shoots up other students, you guys act shocked and confused on why this wasn't caught sooner.

Joking about getting business done with a gun isn't a funny joke. This isn't anything about being a police state, this is about understanding that we have a gun problem in our schools and it isn't good to overlook potential warning signs anymore.
Let me start by saying I'm 53, I don't own any guns, never have and have no plans on ever owning any in the future. The same holds true for my entire extended family. We're just not gun people although, I have no problem with people owning guns legally.

Having said that, when I was a kid we played cops and robbers, cowboys and indians and all that other now politically incorrect kind of stuff. Most of my friends had BB guns (I didn't) and we all loved to watch cartoons like the roadrunner and the coyote on Saturday morning.

If what this kid wrote was a potential warning sign, then the kids I went to school with (including my self), all displayed warning signs that were much worse, on a weekly (if not daily basis) and yet there was no such thing as a gun problem (in or out of schools).

Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,846,640 times
Quote:

Troll post for the win.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 AM

29,696 posts, read 14,791,616 times
Quote:
And yet when a kid brings a gun to school and shoots up other students, you guys act shocked and confused on why this wasn't caught sooner.

Joking about getting business done with a gun isn't a funny joke. This isn't anything about being a police state, this is about understanding that we have a gun problem in our schools and it isn't good to overlook potential warning signs anymore.
Isn't it more like we have a problem with violent people or mentally ill people using firearms to solve their problems rather than just a firearms problem ? Just saying...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,865,851 times
Age 16.....I was thinking of girls, fast cars, sports, food,...but Guns? I guess we have to know the context but it is kind of weird to me.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,862,452 times
16 year old was arrested for disorderly conduct suggests there is more to this story than "16 year old says...."

Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,051,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
16 year old was arrested for disorderly conduct suggests there is more to this story than "16 year old says...."
Nothing additional is coming out here on our local news to suggest there is more to the story. Time will tell I guess.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,862,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Isn't it more like we have a problem with violent people or mentally ill people using firearms to solve their problems rather than just a firearms problem ? Just saying...
Likely true. The challenge is no one knows anyone's potential for violence until they become violent.

Mental health is a slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies