Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Sounds like you'd be an excellent candidate for sending a letter to the editor of the Washington Post. I'm sure you'd be a snap to get published. You write well and get right to the point.

Definitively different tribes were talking about. I know that personally, the 6 tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy generally find the term offensive. I also know first hand that the National Congress of American Indians which basically represents the vast majority of all tribes in America find the term offensive. They actually made the video.
I'm not that fond of Native American either but use it when it's appropriate for communicating. I prefer NDN, Indian or Mohawk, Navajo, etc.

Your Quote:
"While the term Redskin can be offensive when used in a derogatory manner, naming a football team the Redskins doesn't equate with calling an Indian a Redskin."
See how this reads.....
While the term Ni**er can be offensive when used in a derogatory manner, naming a football team the Ni**ers doesn't equate with calling a person a Ni**er.

Certainly not from a white person's point of view. Not being part of the culture they're offending, they can't see or understand the offensive connection between the two. For some strange reason, when we tell them it's offensive, they insist it's not.

I guess our words, writings and videos on the subject carry no weight and mean nothing.
I find it amusing how some lump everyone of their ilk, uninviting, together into a "culture" and some within that "culture" hate being lumped.
The "black community" would be inclusive, no? I have heard many black men respond to another with "I'm not your brother" when addressed as such.
I image this to be true within all "communities".

Why is there no such entity as the "white community"?
Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Oh I see, so I am supposed to take you seriously when you tell me the the term "redskin" is offensive, but when I tell you why I find the term "white person" offensive, you just dismiss it?

Why is that?
When did I dismiss it? In fact I acknowledged your concern and changed my address to you, in the future, to 'Mr. Snapper". I also referred you to the Washington Post link, which was the story I was reporting and started the thread, on so that you could take your complaints to their editorial desk. I thought that was very honest of me to do, as I'm only the messenger and reporter of an editorial decision by a major newspaper. If you have complaints concerning their decision, take it up with them. If you want to attack me personally, then that's another issue entirely.
Which is it?

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-23-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Liberals are so afraid of words. Probably because they don't ever actually DO anything but write or talk about people who do accomplish things.
This is quite succinct.

To add - Liberals love to play the victim so therefore don't have to accomplish anything. They are subsidized to spew their propaganda through some media outlet for brief periods of time.

Afraid of words=facts? Most certainly, yes!

They have their own narrative/conjecture going on and it swings around so much it is dizzying. They make up their own obtuse facts/laws/rules/interpretations on a day to day basis. And expect the rest of the world to go along for the ride.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
When did I dismiss it?
I felt your eyes rolling as I read your post.
Quote:
In fact I acknowledged your concern and changed my address to you, in the future, to 'Mr. Snapper". I also referred you to the Washington Post link, which was the story I was reporting and started the thread, on so that you could take your complaints to their editorial desk. I thought that was very honest of me to do, as I'm only the messenger and reporter of an editorial decision by a major newspaper. If you have complaints concerning their decision, take it up with them.
No, you also expressed your opinion that you agree with their decision.
Quote:
If you want to attack me personally, then that's another issue entirely.
Which is it?
When did I personaly attack you? I wouldn't do such a thing, as that would be against the terms of service I agreed to when I signed up to use these forums. Rather, I am attacking your opinions...... important distinction.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This is quite succinct.

To add - Liberals love to play the victim so therefore don't have to accomplish anything. They are subsidized to spew their propaganda through some media outlet for brief periods of time.

Afraid of words=facts? Most certainly, yes!

They have their own narrative/conjecture going on and it swings around so much it is dizzying. They make up their own obtuse facts/laws/rules/interpretations on a day to day basis. And expect the rest of the world to go along for the ride.
I suggest you cut and paste this to your clipboard as it is the extreme generic, liberal hate speech that could apply to every thread on P&OC and looking at the source, it has probably appeared in every thread with slight modifications. This sentiment certainly has no bearing on the Washington Post's decision to NOT use the Term, "Redskin".

Old 08-23-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Why is there no such entity as the "white community"?
Seriously.
Because the acknowlegment of such a community would be "politicaly incorrect"....

Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Because the acknowlegment of such a community would be "politicaly incorrect"....
I'll bet you're not aware that there is no 'Political Correct" law on the books. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that you think President Obama signed in the 'Political Correct" law under executive order.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I'll bet you're not aware that there is no 'Political Correct" law on the books. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that you think President Obama signed in the 'Political Correct" law under executive order.
Political correctness is more about social trends, taboos, and mores, rather than laws..... but you knew that.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Political correctness is more about social trends, taboos, and mores, rather than laws..... but you knew that.
Yeah,......I'll give you that. I did know that.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 PM

Actually, I take that back. Political correctness is a fancy term for speech codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies