Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Something tells me that you don't really know what this bill does or how far reaching it really is. You just heard "background checks" and went with it...

Are you aware that it outlaws transfers of firearms that have not been approved by a background check? As a "life-long gun enthusiast", no doubt you've shown one of your guns to a family member or friend at some point and let them hold it. Did you run a background check on them first? Well if I-594 passes, you'll have to, otherwise, you both become instant criminals.

Were you aware that this law does this? Please read the bill.
That is nonsense my friend
There is nothing in the bill that states one can't show off their guns or even let others fire their guns.

Transfer refers to new ownership, and I support the notion of not allowing some felon to trade a stolen mountain bike for a handgun with some random stranger he met on craigslist. If this means that now a background check is required to transfer a firearm with one of my fishing buddies from work, then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The law is 18 pages long. You've got to be stone cold nuts to think that 18 pages can be perfectly and entirely summarized in three words: "require background checks."

I think this may prove to be a major hurdle for 1194. The rule of initiatives is, when in doubt voters vote "no." And complexity breeds doubt.
The Devil is in the details and if those details say more than those three words then they will hard pressed to pass the Bill, even in Liberal Washington State. Personally I would think that requiring private sales to have a background check performed would be unenforceable, how can the State know who sells what to whomever unless there is a state registry and that would be a show stopper for many including many gun owners that support background checks.
Ever wonder why Billionaires care about gun control? For me the answer is the same one as the answer to who controls the government. Those that pull the strings are those that might very well be those that would inflict laws on the populace so that if they later decided to impose more draconian laws on the people they will not be able to rise up. Just food for thought.
My favorite instance of someone pointing out that fact was after the shootings at the Luby's in Waco Tx hearings were held in Washington and the panel was questioning some of the survivors. Among those testifying was a young lady that had been there and when asked why she felt Americans should have the right to own guns and was it for protection from criminals, she replied that, no the reason she felt Americans should be able to own guns was to protect them from you (the government). I really need to dig that video up one of these days, her words left the panel speechless.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
That is nonsense my friend
There is nothing in the bill that states one can't show off their guns or even let others fire their guns.

Transfer refers to new ownership, and I support the notion of not allowing some felon to trade a stolen mountain bike for a handgun with some random stranger he met on craigslist. If this means that now a background check is required to transfer a firearm with one of my fishing buddies from work, then so be it.
How can you ever know the "transfer" was ever made without Registration, hmmm?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Anyone that has a problem with this initiative is a complete idiot. I'm I life long gun enthusiast, but I'm not retarded. This initiative will not negatively effect one single law abiding citizen.

I'm getting to the point that I'm starting to assume that most my fellow gun enthusiasts in this country are either nuts or really stupid. Thankfully the wackjobs on this board don't represent the the bulk of gun owners in my state. This will pass easily.

yay common sense!
While I do not have a problem with background checks, we do them here in Texas and they typically take about an hour or less to run, but can take up to 4 days in some rare cases. But how on earth can you enforce private sales backgrounds and how would it even be possible, and who pays for it and without registration of all guns in the State it would be impossible to know who owns what and who sold what to whom, simply unenforceable. Yes, use some common sense, making laws that are doomed to failure from the onset is not using Common Sense.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When I read gun control I got excited and then I read the fine print and what this law does, are you ready for it?.... is to require background checks. No seriously, this is it.

Isn't this just common sense? You've got to be stone cold nut to be against this. Hasn't the gun nuts been saying we don't have a gun problem, we have a mental health problem? Well, here is a law that can help fix that.

Think about, people who are against this law is basically saying, "I don't give a S--- whether I'm selling my gun to a psycho and if my name ends up in CNN as the supplier, hell I just say, hey what he does with it is none of my business!"

The minute I saw you use the phrase "gun nuts" I was pretty certain that you were misrepresenting the law.

I'm just soooooo shocked to see that to be the case.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
How can you ever know the "transfer" was ever made without Registration, hmmm?
You can't

Please don't tell me you're against registering your guns

Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
While I do not have a problem with background checks, we do them here in Texas and they typically take about an hour or less to run, but can take up to 4 days in some rare cases. But how on earth can you enforce private sales backgrounds and how would it even be possible, and who pays for it and without registration of all guns in the State it would be impossible to know who owns what and who sold what to whom, simply unenforceable. Yes, use some common sense, making laws that are doomed to failure from the onset is not using Common Sense.
How do people privately sell cars, houses, or any other item that can't be sold without a paper trail.

I'm not sure if you know this, but it's 2014. We aren't exactly living in the wild west anymore.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
How do people privately sell cars, houses, or any other item that can't be sold without a paper trail.
I can sell you a car without any paperwork. I've bought them without them before.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you know this, but it's 2014. We aren't exactly living in the wild west anymore.
All irrelevant when it comes right down to it. Cities used this argument to curtail ownership but the Supreme Court rejected them.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can sell you a car without any paperwork. I've bought them without them before..
And I can go fishing with dynamite, but it doesn't mean it's legal.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
And I can go fishing with dynamite, but it doesn't mean it's legal.
Its perfectly legal. Its done everyday. You ddo not have to have a title to a car to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies