Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I would hate to have an accident with an Uber driver as you're more likely to hit the lottery than ever be indemnified for the loss.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes James River to come to the realizations that the exposures present with this whole operation is far greater than any amount of premium you're likely to be taking in each year.
That's a baseless assertion.

What, are you one of those monopolistic taxi drivers or companies trying to protect your rapacious rates while providing sub-par services designed centuries ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
Please state where safety regulations are right out of the Communist Manifesto and not American. If you really think tattoo shops should be free to spread herpes to the general public then please tell them to not wash their utensils before you show up. Maybe we should strip laws on robbery, rape, and murder too, because we just don't have enough freedoms and liberty.

Responses like this are not worth replying to anymore.

The tattoo shop in question, would either be a new start up without a long business reputation, or they hired on someone that didn't care.

Their reputation matters and if word got out they were not running a clean business, they would be out of business, not to mention the civil suit that would surely bankrupt them and the criminal suit that would be looking at negligence. All without regulation.
Intervention takes away so many freedoms, to make you feel good, so you will have a false sense of security.

Is there a regulator/inspector stationed in the business, while they are doing business?

Robbery, rape and murder are all committed everyday, even though they are and always have been illegal. They are acts of aggression.
Show the tattoo shop had intentionally harmed you..... Guess what, in society they hold the same penalty as Rape and robbery. It was proved to be aggression.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
Please state where safety regulations are right out of the Communist Manifesto and not American.
Responses like this are not worth replying to anymore.

Instead of the people having the freedom and liberty to decide and make a choice that best suits them, that choice is made for them by the ruling government. Taking that choice and freedom from the people to make. Control and the power to control.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
It's nonsense. Uber's liability insurance exceeds that of any Taxi or limo co requirements.
I didn't make the accusation. The mayor of Charleston did and I can't say one way or another if your statement is accurate. All I know is Uber will have a hard time making inroads into Charleston because the mayor is gunning for it.

I think what you don't understand is Charleston downtown is a different city than the surrounding area(s). That small peninsula downtown is ran by the Democrat mayor Joe Riley (nicknamed King Riley for the way he runs Charleston). The surrounding area is pretty reliably Republican (home of Tim Scott and the somewhat infamous Mark Sanford). Democrats love their regulations and Uber is not escaping their desire to regulate in Charleston.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I didn't make the accusation. The mayor of Charleston did and I can't say one way or another if your statement is accurate. All I know is Uber will have a hard time making inroads into Charleston because the mayor is gunning for it.

I think what you don't understand is Charleston downtown is a different city than the surrounding area(s). That small peninsula downtown is ran by the Democrat mayor Joe Riley (nicknamed King Riley for the way he runs Charleston). The surrounding area is pretty reliably Republican (home of Tim Scott and the somewhat infamous Mark Sanford). Democrats love their regulations and Uber is not escaping their desire to regulate in Charleston.
That may or may not be the ultimate outcome. I guess we'll see. If the mayor wins, the people lose.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
My take:

Let the free market sort it out. If someone wants a tattoo, let them choose to go to some skanky guy on the corner, or a clean shop that has VOLUNTEERLY educated themselves, and has gotten third-party validation that they are knowledgeable and safe ('credentials'). If people start getting sick, or if the credentials are bogus and people start getting sick, then the market won't accept it.

Let people decide if a cab brings enough extra value than Uber. If people start having bad experiences in Uber, then they won't last long. If they provide a better service than a cab for cheaper, then cabs either need to adjust their business model or suffer the consequences.

Where I am FOR regulation are the big industries:
Energy companies
Insurance
GMO Crops
Cable/Media

etc.

These companies have somewhat of a monopoly due to barriers to entry. Take an energy company (oil, or a coal plant, for instance). They are incented to cut corners, and if there is a disaster (oil spill, coal ash spill) they can't reverse it. It's not like people have a choice to not buy electricity, or they can really decide who they buy their gas from (You could boycott BP for the Horizon incident, but you'd really be punishing the retail store owners. Oil is a commodity, and oil purchased at any station can't be traced back to who pulled it out of the ground, or who refined it).

So I'd say with regards to your question (consumer regulations) that less regulation is best. With regards to big business, there needs to be some regulation because the free market does not do a great job of addressing companies that are not operating in a totally free market.)
Yes, a little hepatitis never hurt anyone. After all, only a few people stay chronically ill from it or get liver cancer! (Sarcasm)

It's funny that someone who would think it OK to have unregulated tattoo parlors wants GMO regualtion! And why on earth should cable companies be regulated?

I think anything involving health should have some regulations. Regulations may not prevent every client of a tattoo parlor from getting hepatitis, but they can cut the cases way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When the word gets out that people are getting sick from your product and the courts hold you liable, the system self polices itself. That business is either soon out of business, or their pockets are deep enough to absorb the litigation and the loss of business and rebrand their product to start building their business back up.

Regulators, just keep the bad businesses going, for the revenue they gain from they taxes they pay.
You don't stay in business if your product is bad. Regulators or not.
Yeah, what's a little sickness, maybe even a few epidemics? Litigation solves everything doesn't it?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, a little hepatitis never hurt anyone.

Yeah, what's a little sickness, maybe even a few epidemics? Litigation solves everything doesn't it?

It still happens with the false sense of security regulations create.
When are you going to pay for an inspector to be held accountable, that is on premises every day to monitor everything is to standard?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It still happens with the false sense of security regulations create.
When are you going to pay for an inspector to be held accountable, that is on premises every day to monitor everything is to standard?
As I said earlier, it won't reduce the chances of disease to zero, but it will greatly decrease them. The concern about random inspections can keep everyone on their toes. I know my beauty shop is always worried about that.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 AM

No staffing, to police it well enough.

Here business pay out the snoot for licensing and fees to stay in business.
A tattoo shop will get inspected only if someone files a complaint.
A food service business will have an inspection only once a year, unless a complaint is filed.

In both of these situations, no business is fined. They get told what to fix and there is a follow up inspection to see if it is fixed. No business is put out of business. People get sick, from thinking the places they patronize, are inspected daily.

I run a business with my wife, that needs an agricultural license. The only time we have been inspected, was the day we opened up shop, 15 years ago.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Those that ate regulated are done so for a reason. All the more so if they are inexperienced and new. Tattoo shops are so that you aren't taking a gamble on which shops/artists are clean. Plus those that are can show their compliance and history on demand by customer that they are not a fly by night scam that's a risk to customers health.
Adding mercury to the tattoo ink would reduce infections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies