Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Government should not be involved in co-habitation in my view.

I think this is a philosophical question, multi-spouse marriages are not going to be legal in the US any time soon. There are no Polygamy Community Centers or Polygamy Lobbying organizations. Whereas same sex marriage is legal in Canada, Argentina, England, France, and a score of other countries, polygamous marriages are not. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:26 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
So if polygamy was legal, could a man go to another country and marry 100 women from a poor village then bring them all back to the US legally as his wives?

If there was a polygamous marriage with a man and 6 wives, are the wives married to each other? What if one woman wants to divorce the man, but stay married to the other wives or one of the wives?

If there are 20 children in a polygamous marriage with say 6 people, and everyone gets divorced, can all the people in the marriage claim equal time with each of the children?

Lot's of interesting legal questions...
That is why we have Jerry Springer, they would just show up on his show what he would straighten it out.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I see no reason for you to oppose Utah's lifting of the cohabitation ban. If two people of the same sex can marry each other, I see no moral reason that polygamists (eventually) can't marry. It is neither un-Constitutional, nor immoral.

If you support gay marriage, do you support Utah's lifting of the ban? Why or why not?
I don't care about either. Nice try though.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
I see no reason for you to oppose Utah's lifting of the cohabitation ban. If two people of the same sex can marry each other, I see no moral reason that polygamists (eventually) can't marry. It is neither un-Constitutional, nor immoral.

If you support gay marriage, do you support Utah's lifting of the ban? Why or why not?
<copied from a recent post>
I am in support of America.
I am in support of the right to marry.
I am even in support of marriage (lol, though not always recommended)
any restrictions to the above are antithetical to what America was designed to be, i.e. a land of free and sovereign peoples.

No exceptions. Gay men have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more and nothing less.

Leave them be. When attempts to create long-lasting loving unions are the target of hatred, it is time for Americans to look in the mirror and decide whether they ought surrender their passports for other lands which might better accommodate their ilk.

S.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
So if polygamy was legal, could a man go to another country and marry 100 women from a poor village then bring them all back to the US legally as his wives?

If there was a polygamous marriage with a man and 6 wives, are the wives married to each other? What if one woman wants to divorce the man, but stay married to the other wives or one of the wives?

If there are 20 children in a polygamous marriage with say 6 people, and everyone gets divorced, can all the people in the marriage claim equal time with each of the children?

Lot's of interesting legal questions...
^ This.

What so many opponents of gay marriage and/or polygamy do not grasp...and in fact many who say they want gov out of marriage also don't get... is that the ONLY part that the law need concern itself with is the contractual rights and obligations part.

No one cares if it's "normalizing" or condoning anything. There are plenty of abnormal behaviors that will never really be normal but they're not against the law. And just because you won't get arrested for sewing a pair of sunglasses over the crotch of your pants or walking backwards everywhere you go does not mean "oh noes, everyone will start doing it!" It doesn't matter and there is no reason for the law to care if consenting adults of the same or different or multiple, or ambiguous genders are getting frisky with each other in the privacy of their own home. And as for marriage being meant for breeding couples, that is a farce since no one will prevent a man and woman well past their childbearing years from marrying. Breeding isn't a prerequisite or requirement of marriage. Even a pre-marriage counseling session won't see the counselor telling a couple not to get married because they don't want to have kids.

But there are many issues involved that are legal. Custody. Citizenship. Property. Taxation. Estates. And so on.

I do think that whatever part of the package concerns the law, should be legally available to all...so yes, gay marriage, and yes, polygamy. The law might need to flex some brainpower to find the best ways to deal with it so as not to let third world all female villages immigrate en masse via polygamous marriage. I would say the State should look to the partnership form of business law for guidance.

As for the other part, hey...I will stand by any church's absolute right to not marry anyone. I don't think it's right that the bakery had to make the cake. I think if people want to be bigots, that should be their prerogative. But they shouldn't whine if it costs them business when word gets out. Maybe. Or not. *shrug* Chick Fil A is still doing good business, the gays haven't ruined them yet.

Point being, public policy and private opinion or religious belief should really be different things.

Also don't care if marriage is considered to be an institution of a particular faith since athiests get married all the time, and courthouse "ceremonies" happen all the time, too.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:15 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Government should not be involved in co-habitation in my view.

I think this is a philosophical question, multi-spouse marriages are not going to be legal in the US any time soon. There are no Polygamy Community Centers or Polygamy Lobbying organizations. Whereas same sex marriage is legal in Canada, Argentina, England, France, and a score of other countries, polygamous marriages are not. Why is that?
I agree. Cohabitation laws are ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Morality aside, who cares how legally sanctioned polygamous marriages work? The government's job shouldn't be to decide that. Why should it?
So then you also support gay marriage? (Meaning the Gov't stays out of it, and people can marry as they see fit?) <---That's exactly how I see it.

And as for the Polygomists are concerned, I really don't care if they cohabitate or not. I just can't see how what two (or more) consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home has anything to do with me. More-so, when Insurance finally becomes a single-payer system and when insurance is no longer tied to other things like employment, marriage, or other unrelated 'institutions', then it will effect me even less.

Short answer: I don't care who someone else marries or cohabitates with. NMB

Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Of course. Polygamy isn't hurting anybody as long as both parties are consenting. I guess I don't really get jealous with relationships but if a guy I was with wanted me to share them with another woman, I'd be completely fine with it as long as if I had another guy he would be okay to share me.
It's very dysfunctional on paper but I've seen a show with a woman being married to two guys and they couldn't have looked more normal. I think in some cases, polygamy can actually be better because I'd much rather know than him be sneaking around. I can't stand dishonesty.
The only condition is there should be a limit to how many you can marry because that way there's more of a chance of them marrying for the right reasons.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:33 PM

125 posts, read 159,176 times
Quote:
Great. Do you support it or not?
As long as there isn't any abuse going on in the household, I'm not going to fuss about it. Certainly, I'm not going to advocate maintaining laws that criminalize such cohabitation.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
The sexual behavior of consenting adults and cohabitation of adults is of no consequence to me.

I don't know why people are so obsessed with these topics. I find that those who are capable critical thinking skills, and not parroting talking points from someone else, are much more enlightened and overall, happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies