Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,825,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How much do you think those things cost? My hip replacement cost $76K for 3 days in the hospital. Most of that was NOT the dr., it was the hospital expenses.
How much of that did your insurance actually pay? I've seen far cheaper prices than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How much of that did your insurance actually pay? I've seen far cheaper prices than that.
The insurance paid most of it. There's not much you can do about hospital prices, and my local hospital's are lower than many in the area. I doubt you've seen "far cheaper".

Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,279,027 times
Quote:
How much do you think those things cost?
Anywhere from $10K to $125K.

How much does hip surgery cost? Somewhere between $10,000 and $125,000. - The Washington Post

Quote:
My hip replacement cost $76K for 3 days in the hospital. Most of that was NOT the dr., it was the hospital expenses.
That's because hospitals have tremendous pricing power and don't really reveal their pricing structure. I had stitches a few years ago after a concert, at the hospital my bill was $900, but my bill at a private ER clinic was $250. At the clinic I had a Dr and at the hospital I had a nurse and spent 5 minutes with a Dr. I had 2 bills because I went to the concert 2 days in a row and needed stitches after both concerts.

Quote:
There have been few states where one could get a "catastrophic" plan in several decades.
Mine was one of them. If very few states were offering them there wouldn't have been any reason to get rid of those plans and deem them "substandard".

Old 09-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
The insurance paid most of it. There's not much you can do about hospital prices, and my local hospital's are lower than many in the area. I doubt you've seen "far cheaper".
The top 25 hospitals in the US for that type of surgery on average charges around $30k. As of last year. So I've read.

I've read that Medicare pays $10k-$25k. So if a surgery like that costs say $30k, Medicare would pay $24k.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,679,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nobody pays the actual chargemaster price. Insurance companies negotiate the price down on all procedures. They only use chargemaster if you're paying cash, with no insurance involved. If you can't pay, then it's a total write-off for the hospital. What cost $100,000 on the chargemaster, will settle with BCBS for 32,000 and Medicare for 27,500.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Nobody pays the actual chargemaster price. Insurance companies negotiate the price down on all procedures. They only use chargemaster if you're paying cash, with no insurance involved. If you can't pay, then it's a total write-off for the hospital. What cost $100,000 on the chargemaster, will settle with BCBS for 32,000 and Medicare for 27,500.
Very true.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,345,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Anywhere from $10K to $125K.

How much does hip surgery cost? Somewhere between $10,000 and $125,000. - The Washington Post

That's because hospitals have tremendous pricing power and don't really reveal their pricing structure. I had stitches a few years ago after a concert, at the hospital my bill was $900, but my bill at a private ER clinic was $250. At the clinic I had a Dr and at the hospital I had a nurse and spent 5 minutes with a Dr. I had 2 bills because I went to the concert 2 days in a row and needed stitches after both concerts.

Mine was one of them. If very few states were offering them there wouldn't have been any reason to get rid of those plans and deem them "substandard".
Mon Dieu! What do you do at concerts that requires stiches every time?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,721,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Like I said... Premiums went up. Subsidy is robbing someone else to pay for yours. When we run out of people to rob (we're actually there) this scheme fails catastrophically. Even people deranged by hatred of the TEA Party movement can understand this. So stop posting what you know is false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You have no clue what you're babbling on about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
He sure doesn't. Totally uninformed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I suppose the reason these folks get so confused over insurance is due to the fact they apparently never bought a policy before Obamacare came along and offered them other people's money to offset their premium costs.
Ok one of you is on Medicare and one wont say what government plan he is on. Guess what Medicare recipients often are on Medicaid, Tricare For Life, and VA. Total silence....

Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,279,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Mon Dieu! What do you do at concerts that requires stiches every time?
I was in the mosh pit. The first night I was in a fight and the second night this girl threw a beer bottle at me because she thought I was cheating on her. She didn't even have any proof, just drunk and suspicious.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

I doubt it. Here is a link I could find, pre-"Obamacare", when all plans had to comply.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...74115972,d.aWw

See the chart. Every state had mandates, with Rhode Island having the most (69) and Idaho the least (13). All insurance policies sold in the various states had to comply with the mandates. What was called "catastrophic" insurance was really "high deductible".
High-deductible health plan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"High-deductible health plans are a form of catastrophic coverage, intended to cover for catastrophic illnesses.[2"

The Worst Argument Against Catastrophic Health Coverage - Hit & Run : Reason.com

(It is really hard to find information about policies that existed before the ACA mandates went into effect.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies