Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Retailers are allowed to say "Merry Christmas" during Christmas season. That was easy.
Of course we are "allowed" to say it. How about this?

as long as retailers are allowed to say it without offending somebody. Better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Of course we are "allowed" to say it. How about this?

as long as retailers are allowed to say it without offending somebody. Better?
How can you control who is offended about something? Just stop caring that they are

Old 09-02-2014, 06:47 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
It happened all the time. As a retailer, we have meetings before holiday season and I always ask "Is it against the mall policy to say Merry Christmas?" The mall manager always says "It is up to you, but if some customers are offended by it we would advice you not say it." Duh, are you kidding me?
If. If some customers are offended by it. "Don't say stuff that may offend customers" seems perfectly good advice to me, but then again, I have so far managed to avoid working retail and intend to keep it that way.

Quote:
Why do I need a back bone to stand up for myself?
Is this some sort of trick question?

Quote:
Why do I need to "fight" for my 1st amendment right. It should be automatically given to me without question. Last time I checked "merry christmas" is not hate speech.
Neither is "Happy Holidays", yet we have right-wing commentators going into paroxysm on national TV whenever the season rolls around.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,043 times
Quote:
Yes, they are. You're either lying or being lied to.
bless you.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
This old lady I know worked for a salad place in the food court is a really nice person. She said Merry Christmas to a person (in all fairness I am not sure if this person is a Muslim), and this person went all the way to the security office and filed a complaint. The mall manager told the lady "Maybe you should stop saying Merry Christmas because it is obviously offensive to some people. We would suggest you NOT saying it."

It happened all the time. As a retailer, we have meetings before holiday season and I always ask "Is it against the mall policy to say Merry Christmas?" The mall manager always says "It is up to you, but if some customers are offended by it we would advice you not say it." Duh, are you kidding me?

Why do I need a back bone to stand up for myself? Why do I need to "fight" for my 1st amendment right. It should be automatically given to me without question. Last time I checked "merry christmas" is not hate speech.
So the mall manager is recommending that you not say it. I don't get why you think that the mall manager is invoking a law or even a contract provision.

I hate to point this out, but plenty of people have had to fight for their constitutional rights, they have even spent time in jail for them. If you won't stand up for yourself, that's your choice.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
If. If some customers are offended by it. "Don't say stuff that may offend customers" seems perfectly good advice to me, but then again, I have so far managed to avoid working retail and intend to keep it that way.
My family owns several retail shops. We don't have control over who say Merry Christmas, who doesn't.

Why should our employees or me be afraid to offend anybody by saying Merry Christmas. It is simply absurd.

It is just a standard greeting last hundreds of years!! Why the sudden change?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
as long as retailers are allowed to say it without offending somebody.
Some customers will be offended by Happy Holidays, some by Merry Christmas, some will probably pout unless greeted with "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh Wgah'nagl fhtan".

People take offense too easily. Be it at Muslim students praying or people extending good wishes while not following a specific formula.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So the mall manager is recommending that you not say it. I don't get why you think that the mall manager is invoking a law or even a contract provision.

I hate to point this out, but plenty of people have had to fight for their constitutional rights, they have even spent time in jail for them. If you won't stand up for yourself, that's your choice.
Did I say that? Where did I say the mall manger is invoking a law. LOL

Old 09-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
pray in school every day in Tucson. Not only that, the school has provided a room for them to pray in. Which, I guess is better so that the other kids don't have to hear it.

N4T Investigators: Church and State | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona
Well when the time comes you'll know when and what room to gas

Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 PM

88 posts, read 107,056 times
Quote:
I don't need to show you any law. I have experienced it.

I am a retailer. My family has several stores in the shopping mall. Yes the mall told us not to say Merry Christmas during Christmas season. Of course it is not against the law, but if we don't want troubles, we would better NOT say it.

and many people have had similar experiences.

You can’t say Merry Christmas anymore? | Cheaper Than Therapy

They may sound like simple salutations, but they have become opposing battle cries in a wintry culture war -- with conservative Christian groups going up against retailers, municipalities and even the White House.

Calling Christmas by Its Name - ABC News

Why bother denying it.
No ! Retailers just figured out that "Happy Holidays" encompasses everything instead of just "Merry Christmas"! Oh you poor Christians being persecuted by the "shopping Gods"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies