Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:57 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times

Advertisements

The FDA has dramatic lowered the acceptable allowance of nontoxigenic bacteria in cheese because it thinks that reduces the limit of a harmless bacteria will make the cheese safer.

This is the primary problem with regulation as it exists today. It's not about lowering an actual risk, but rather doing something that sounds good, but has no actual effect other than making some things more expensive and putting some businesses out of business.

FDA restrictions keeping some great cheeses out of stores - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 06:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
This is another case where people simply need to say "no" and continue selling it. That will be difficult at first for imported cheese but for cheese made here simply don't play along. The FDA isn't going to do anything. They expect voluntary compliance and if they do not get it they aren't going to push things because that is bad come election day.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
I like proper regulation, but I don't like stupid regulation.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I like proper regulation, but I don't like stupid regulation.
Most regulations are stupid regulations.

They only serve to increase the size and power of government.

A regulation I learned about recently was completely silly. A family member passed away recently. The family wanted to scatter her ashes on a lack in a neighboring state. My state required the family to get a permit and pay a fee of $50 to take the ashes out of state and if they wanted to scatter the ashes in state they would need to hire a ash spreader to do it.

Last edited by shooting4life; 09-05-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is another case where people simply need to say "no" and continue selling it. That will be difficult at first for imported cheese but for cheese made here simply don't play along. The FDA isn't going to do anything. They expect voluntary compliance and if they do not get it they aren't going to push things because that is bad come election day.
Yeah, I wouldn't count on that:

Dan Allgyer latest target in FDA war on raw milk - SFGate

Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
While I agree the regulations on cheese sold is a bit on the weird side. However, the countries with the better cheese tend to have more regulations on productions so they can sell these cheeses. We chose to regulate producers less so outputted products need to be less likely to harbor bacteria. Raw milk in many big farms contains all sorts of nasty things...even including resistant TB and Anthrax (in the soil).

It is always pretty nutty to take issue with one regulation, especially just cheese, and say all regulations are terrible. Regulations on things like doctors having the ability to practice medicine, medications having the effective ingredient instead of 50% morphine (like 19th century snake oils), and so your toothpaste isn't a mix of emulsifiers and Chinese newspapers.

If there is a regulation you don't like, reform it. I would back you.

Most libertarians I have spoken to are of the mind that some are good/bad...but often hem and haw about which ones those might be till you want to slap them for dancing around the issue like a bear in a tutu. Awkward, hilarious, and they just want it to be over.

The other camp just seems to regurgitate "free market" like a brainless parrot. Even when it is pointed out these regulations make sure we prevent illness/death/injury before it happens. Compared to "free market" ideals which is to sell whatever and then bring litigation against producers after people have become harmed (and died) by the products. Bringing the burden on the family/person that was harmed to prove conclusively that it was the product (if the person is still alive), connect with other harmed persons, find the producers, and hope to hell they have some money to pay compensation.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
The FDA has dramatic lowered the acceptable allowance of nontoxigenic bacteria in cheese because it thinks that reduces the limit of a harmless bacteria will make the cheese safer.

This is the primary problem with regulation as it exists today. It's not about lowering an actual risk, but rather doing something that sounds good, but has no actual effect other than making some things more expensive and putting some businesses out of business.

FDA restrictions keeping some great cheeses out of stores - LA Times
The EPA long ago abandoned science and began implementing their religion of "more power, money, control, to us, the sacred ones".

Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
"Regulations" almost without exception, are initiations of force. Supposedly stopping "crimes" before they occur. Assuming guilt of some sort ahead of time instead of a presumption of innocence. Evil, stupid, and destructive State aggression. The law should be designed to retaliate against crimes that have occurred instead of initiating force against crimes that might happen. But that would be too rational for an irrational fictional creation like the State.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
While I agree the regulations on cheese sold is a bit on the weird side. However, the countries with the better cheese tend to have more regulations on productions so they can sell these cheeses. We chose to regulate producers less so outputted products need to be less likely to harbor bacteria. Raw milk in many big farms contains all sorts of nasty things...even including resistant TB and Anthrax (in the soil).

It is always pretty nutty to take issue with one regulation, especially just cheese, and say all regulations are terrible. Regulations on things like doctors having the ability to practice medicine, medications having the effective ingredient instead of 50% morphine (like 19th century snake oils), and so your toothpaste isn't a mix of emulsifiers and Chinese newspapers.

Most libertarians I have spoken to are of the mind that some are good/bad...but often hem and haw about which ones those might be till you want to slap them for dancing around the issue like a bear in a tutu. Awkward, hilarious, and they just want it to be over.

The other camp just seems to regurgitate "free market" like a brainless parrot. Even when it is pointed out these regulations make sure we prevent illness/death/injury before it happens. Compared to "free market" ideals which is to sell whatever and then bring litigation against producers after people have become harmed (and died) by the products. Bringing the burden on the family/person that was harmed to prove conclusively that it was the product (if the person is still alive), connect with other harmed persons, find the producers, and hope to hell they have some money to pay compensation.
It is amazing people were able to survive before the government was around to protect them.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post

When you want to believe that government will save you from yourself, you either have to be blind to reality... Or ignorant.

Can you explain why you believe you have to have government save you from your own ignorance and incompetence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies