Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And that's what it boils down to - it's a simple truth and it comes down to having values of the sort that can't be directly exchanged for dollars and cents.
Simple truth? Your math is like 2 + 3 = 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They didn't literally ask me for help. They just paid their employees pathetic wages, knowing that government programs would pick up the slack.
Um, you are the government, and those programs are not necessary. To the extent that they may be necessary or desired, they are best operated by the States and not the inefficient federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Bottom line are we ready for Walmart, Target, McDonalds to double their pay and give benefits for the good of society if it means $15 dollar value meals and $8 dollar gallons of milk?
You forgot the part about "job-sharing."

How do Euro-States lower their perennial 10% unemployment rate?

Lie.

The government simply enacts a law reducing the work-week to 30 hours. That forces employers to hire more employees, and no more perennial 10% unemployment.

Of course, that reduces everyone's disposable income.

Government has a solution for that, too.....force employers to pay higher wages.

Nonetheless, even with higher wages your disposable income is 15% less.

But, hey....the unemployment rate is only 5% and government looks good and that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Lets say Joe is responsible for 10% of the sales in a company, do you really think Joe is getting 10% of the corporate profits, I don't think so otherwise Joe could retire in a few years.
Then Joe should go in business for himself, right?

Oh, wait, Joe is a scaredy-cat and doesn't want to take the risks or assume the headaches of running a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You can not say you do not want min to go up then say there should be no government help you can not have it both ways.
Yes, you can have it both ways.

Are you ever going to justify why I should be buying beer and dope for other people?

Quote:
I periodically check the prices of commercial and residential properties in my area and they are outrageous.
That's Supply & Demand.

Stop demanding and prices will decline.

Quote:
The big box stores come in and offer lower prices because they are sourcing products from slave labor nations....
It isn't slave labor.

Can you send your child to the best private school in the US for $106.54 per year?

If you earned $2.66/hour, then you need only work 1 week in 50 weeks to have enough money to send your child to the very best most expensive private school.

Can you work 1 week and earn enough to send your child to private school?

Because if you cannot.....then you are the slave.

Quote:
however the christian part of me says there has to be a better way. I also understand the bible says if you dont work you wont eat and goes on to illistrate how slaves are to interact, etc.
A better way than murdering people and stealing their Capital?

I sure hope so.

Quote:
But now we have a fiat currancy that is based on nothing....
...no, it is based on the total products and services globally denominated in US Dollars.

That is why you are invading countries and murdering people so that you can force them to sell oil and natural gas and other commodities in US Dollars.

If you have $10 GDP and you have $10 in circulation then what is the rate of Monetary Inflation?

That is a trick question, since there is no Monetary Inflation, and that is proven here:

100% - [($10 GDP / $10 M2) * 100] = 0%

Let's look at Monetary Inflation:

100% - [($10 GDP / $11 M2) * 100] = 9.09% Inflation

Now, let's look at Monetary Deflation:

100% - [($10 GDP / $9 M2) * 100] = 11.11% Deflation

That is for a closed system.

The Zimbabwean Dollar and the Marks issued during the Wiemar Republic were closed systems.

Something else the ignorant and uninformed ignore is Germany's colonies.

Germany had colonies in Asia and Africa. Germany was forced to surrender those colonies under the Treaty of Versailles.

The US and Britain already had colonized China, and they simply divvied up Germany's China colony. Britain and France divided up Germany's colonies in Africa. They point being those colonies used Marks, and once taken over by foreign powers, they no longer used Marks, which worsened the Monetary Inflation in Germany in the post-WW I Era.

The US Dollar is an open system. We are looking at the total value of commodities sold in US Dollars globally.

As I said back in 2010, you can handle another $9 TRILLION to $13 TRILLION before you start seeing anything remotely close to hyper-Monetary Inflation (which I define as 15% or more annually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bottom line is...why do you assume that result? In the past when we have increased minimum wage we didnt have massive price increases like you seem to indicate would occur. Whats different now?
Economics fail......prices did increase.

Consumer Price Index (CPI-W)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Abject self-centeredness and reprehensible callous disregard for others.
But abject self-centeredness and reprehensible callous disregard for the environment and the destruction of resources is both Noble and Moral.

Got it...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Yep

"The government simply enacts a law reducing the work-week to 30 hours. That forces employers to hire more employees, and no more perennial 10% unemployment. Of course, that reduces everyone's disposable income. Government has a solution for that, too.....force employers to pay higher wages. Nonetheless, even with higher wages your disposable income is 15% less. But, hey....the unemployment rate is only 5% and government looks good and that's all that matters."

But they won't get it Mircea

Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bottom line is...why do you assume that result? In the past when we have increased minimum wage we didnt have massive price increases like you seem to indicate would occur. Whats different now?
wrong everytime we have raise the min wage...prices have gone up

this last raise in 07/09(it was a split raise) was PART of the recession

inflation has been near 10-15% for the last 6years

look at the prices in the stores

have you been to the store

prices are going up, and up

coffee is double what it was just 6 years ago in 2008...over 100% in that 6 years....or 20%per year average

coffee up

sugar up

cotton up

corn up

all other vegetables up

all meats up

almost everything us up

REAL INFALTION IS CURRENTLY ABOUT 10-15% or more...unfortunately the government(from either party) doesnt give us the REAL numbers

it certainly is for every working class person or old person

you think that your utility cost being up is not inflation???

you think your medical/pharm costs being up is not inflation???

you think your clothing costs being up is not inflation???

you think your housing (rent and realestate taxes) being up is not inflation???

you think food costs going up is not inflation???

you think building supply costs (ie home depot) being UP is not inflation???

almost EVERYTHING we use has gone up by at least 10% to in some cases 30% in the last 5 years...and you are going to tell me inflation is "only 2% or less"

have you been to the store???...have you SEEN THE PRICES???? milk is nearly $4 a gallon...meats have gone though the roof...in 2004 a 3lb can of coffee was about $3...today its a 2.2lb can of coffee and its $10...over a 300% increase in less than 10 years

sorry you are too blind to see

you certainly do prove that the sheeple are out there for the slaughter

so are you going to tell me YOU BELIEVE the government TELLING YOU that inflation is at 0-3% when PRICES in nearly everything have risen 10-20% or more????

the 'inflation rate' is not REAL INFLATION (ie COST inflation) that real americans (and seniors) feel with almost everything we buy

costs are going up on almost everything..especially food (which is NOT counted in the 'inflation rate')

Junk fish called Tauplia which was selling in 2008 for 1.28 a pound is now close to 6.00 a pound...Catfish that averaged between 3.49 and 3.99 at 6.00 plus.... Not just one store, they are all similar in price. Paper towels are highway robbery.....deli ham/turkey which I used to get for 2-3 a pound...now 6-9 a pound

couple of Thanksgiving ago ,,Sweet potatoes they were 49 cent/pound...now $1.79/pound

breyers icecream HALF GALLON, was (2008) 2for 5...now its 1.5 quarts and its 4/each(on sale)

Even cooking oil 48 fl oz... went from $2.99 (reg. p about 18 months ago) to $3.69 (sale)... and $4.79 (reg. price)....the 64oz is well over $7 now

let me guess you will next say food doesn't count

Old 10-14-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep

"The government simply enacts a law reducing the work-week to 30 hours. That forces employers to hire more employees, and no more perennial 10% unemployment. Of course, that reduces everyone's disposable income. Government has a solution for that, too.....force employers to pay higher wages. Nonetheless, even with higher wages your disposable income is 15% less. But, hey....the unemployment rate is only 5% and government looks good and that's all that matters."

But they won't get it Mircea
exactly...under Obama they have less than 2 million "new" jobs...mostly part time......meanwhile the population has grown by 10 million

Old 10-14-2014, 11:01 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Um, you are the government, and those programs are not necessary. To the extent that they may be necessary or desired, they are best operated by the States and not the inefficient federal government.

You forgot the part about "job-sharing."

How do Euro-States lower their perennial 10% unemployment rate?

Lie.

The government simply enacts a law reducing the work-week to 30 hours. That forces employers to hire more employees, and no more perennial 10% unemployment.

Of course, that reduces everyone's disposable income.

Government has a solution for that, too.....force employers to pay higher wages.

Nonetheless, even with higher wages your disposable income is 15% less.

But, hey....the unemployment rate is only 5% and government looks good and that's all that matters.

Oh, wait, Joe is a scaredy-cat and doesn't want to take the risks or assume the headaches of running a business.

Are you ever going to justify why I should be buying beer and dope for other people?

That's Supply & Demand.

It isn't slave labor.

Can you send your child to the best private school in the US for $106.54 per year?

If you earned $2.66/hour, then you need only work 1 week in 50 weeks to have enough money to send your child to the very best most expensive private school.

I sure hope so.

...no, it is based on the total products and services globally denominated in US Dollars.

That is why you are invading countries and murdering people so that you can force them to sell oil and natural gas and other commodities in US Dollars.

If you have $10 GDP and you have $10 in circulation then what is the rate of Monetary Inflation?

That is a trick question, since there is no Monetary Inflation, and that is proven here:

The Zimbabwean Dollar and the Marks issued during the Wiemar Republic were closed systems.

Germany had colonies in Asia and Africa. Germany was forced to surrender those colonies under the Treaty of Versailles.

The US and Britain already had colonized China, and they simply divvied up Germany's China colony. Britain and France divided up Germany's colonies in Africa. They point being those colonies used Marks, and once taken over by foreign powers, they no longer used Marks, which worsened the Monetary Inflation in Germany in the post-WW I Era.

The US Dollar is an open system. We are looking at the total value of commodities sold in US Dollars globally.

As I said back in 2010, you can handle another $9 TRILLION to $13 TRILLION before you start seeing anything remotely close to hyper-Monetary Inflation (which I define as 15% or more annually).

But abject self-centeredness and reprehensible callous disregard for the environment and the destruction of resources is both Noble and Moral.

Got it...

Mircea
So its probably a good thing that most people are scardy cats becuase commercial building materials and property is already sky high. Could you imagine even more people demanding it.

I wonder what the world would look like if no one murdered people to preserve their economic capitial. Some people are good at kiniving and manipulating markets and others are good at making jets and bombs, we just play to our strengths right. The US is making its own citizens slaves without firing a shot so im not sure sure dropping bombs is really the worst thing out there. If I coudl make an iron man suit I could single handidly draw my own political boarders, well maybe with war machine.

Also right now there are way too many poeple which drives prices of labor down, it was not until the black plauge that people were able to leverage their labor to actually buy anything of value becuase there were not very many people around. That is what started the rennesance.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
So its probably a good thing that most people are scardy cats becuase commercial building materials and property is already sky high.

I wonder what the world would look like if no one murdered people to preserve their economic capitial. Some people are good at kiniving and manipulating markets and others are good at making jets and bombs, we just play to our strengths right. The US is making its own citizens slaves without firing a shot so im not sure sure dropping bombs is really the worst thing out there.

Also right now there are way too many poeple which drives prices of labor down, it was not until the black plauge that people were able to leverage their labor to actually buy anything of value becuase there were not very many people around. That is what started the rennesance.

so are you advocating for the mass eradication of humans??? there have been a few liberals out there that have openly stated we NEED to decrease the human population by half

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,902,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post

100% right about everything you posted but don't expect some retired old-farts who want to protect their fixed incomes and get everything for a nickel, to side with you here. They don't care, they are out of the work force themselves, some used to have well-paying union jobs but now they only want to cut out coupons and buy everything for 99c which of course requires cheap labor. That's the real deal about our "conservatives" here. They're simply cheapskates.
I assume you to be a "young fart" from your reply.

How many ''cheapskate'' liberals fall into your ''old fart'' category? Too many to count.
Lets' see how you would do on a fixed income...ever thought about it? You have worked your entire life and planned for your retirement/old age and some ''young fart'' is moaning/whining about it. You had parents at one time, no? Did you put them to the curb with the trash?

What do retired folk have to do with the topic in any scope?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,412,245 times
Quote:

Joe the business owner doesn't make any profit if his consumers are broke.

Quote:

Are you ever going to justify why I should be paying for emergency room visits for uninsured people?

Quote:
That's Supply & Demand.

Prices all over the world will decline based on demand, which we both know is on the horizon with our aging population. (Hint: Baby BOOMers.)

Quote:
It isn't slave labor.

Go live in a country that allows you to do such.

Quote:

I sure hope so.
I sure hope so as well. For once, we agree.

Quote:

Correct.

The U.S. "debt" is the liability function on the balance sheet. If you look around the world, we have 17 trillion (the debt) USD circulating in the globe between the private and foreign sectors.

But no, the sheep are too busy trying to cut "monetary inflation" despite the obvious direct correlation between monetary inflation and private sector wealth.

So wait... what is monetary deflation then? Taxation. The U.S. government creates surpluses to destroy outlays. It will only make holders of remaining USD's richer at the expense of everyone else. Austerity is the blatant agenda for widening the gap between the rich and the poor. Why else does the GOP want to cut spending when a Democrat President gets elected?

Monetary inflation is monetary creation.
Monetary deflation is monetary destruction.

"Real" inflation is demand-pull inflation.

"Real" inflation isn't measured by the CPI, because the Fed doesn't control how much Joe and John want to pay for their Park Avenue Apartment.

Got it?

Quote:
You have no way of telling that. Even then, hyper-monetary inflation =/= hyperinflation. Hyper monetary inflation is fixable.

How do we fix hyper-monetary inflation? Taxation and interest rates.

Quote:

If prices increased, it had nothing to do with the minimum wage.

Quote:
Got it...

Mircea
Yes, I do.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
... if im always having to force them to give me more money just to keep up with inflation.
You're not supposed to keep up with Inflation.

The Laws of Economics are inviolable.

Two things the Laws of Economics do is prevent destruction of Capital and the environment, and coerce the most efficient use of Capital.

When any product or service is over-consumed, the Laws of Economics move to stop the over-consumption by forcing prices to rise.

So how stupid is it to insist that you be paid more money, so that you can continue to over-consume, and drive prices even higher?

The whole point of higher prices is to force you --- the consumer --- to discriminate.

That is the essence of Demand-pull Inflation. You are 100% responsible, since no central bank on Earth is responsible.

With Demand-pull Inflation, it does not logically follow that Capital is being wasted or used inefficiently, but the likelihood is very high, and it is even higher in the absence of Free Markets.

Capital is subject to the Laws of Physics: Capital cannot be in two difference places at the same time.

Corn can either be in your gas tank, in your beverages and sports drinks, or on you plate, but it cannot be in all three places at the same time.

All of these Markets compete for corn:

seed
livestock feed
popcorn
kettle-corn
corn starch
corn flour
corn meal
corn flakes
light corn syrup
dark corn syrup
corn-in-the-husk
corn-on-the-cob
canned corn
creamed corn
succotash
ethanol
alcoholic beverages
flavored beverages
sports drinks
chicken
beef
pork
turkey
households
restaurants
canneries
wholesalers
retailers
etc etc etc

Those are all classes of consumers that compete for corn. Their competition for corn drives up the price of corn, since corn is fixed and finite...like all Capital.

Again, how stupid is it to raise wages to match "Inflation?"

Is putting corn in your beverages and sports drinks an efficient use of Capital?

No.

The land is not being used efficiently, and neither is the labor, the farm machinery and implements, the entire infrastructure for transporting corn to the processing plants and so on and so on is completely wasteful.

If you cannot afford sports drinks, then stop buying them.

What about the people who work in those jobs?

Who cares?

Those jobs should have never existed in the first place.

BRICS is 100% responsible for Globalization. This process of Globalization will continue for the rest of this Century. You need to learn how to deal with it, because developing and emerging States will put continued demand pressure on Capital, causing prices to rise for the rest of your life due to Demand-pull Inflation.

But, then, you claim to be a Christian, so I know you support Globalization 100%.

Because to oppose Globalization is to reject Jesus and all of His works. Even for non-Christians, opposition to Globalization is immoral.

Everyone is going to have to learn how to do less, with less. If that means altering your Life-Style, then that's just the way it is.

If you have to share housing with in-laws, or your parents or siblings or children, or even total strangers, in order to have enough money to live the Life-Style that you believe you are entitled to have, then do it.

If you have to get up an hour earlier in order to drive your spouse to work and then drive yourself to work, because you can only afford one car and you cannot afford public transportation, then I hope you're a good conversationalist.

Your school system, your government, your infrastructure, your pension plans, you'll have to find new ways to fund it, and take new approaches to management and administration in order to ensure the highest level of efficiency possible.

If that means breaking up the big mega-school district with 5,000 seniors in the graduating class and go back to the old township system with 96 seniors in the graduating class in order to eliminate or reduce the grossly inefficient costs of administration and overhead to avoid raising taxes, then do it.

If you can't compete against China, then how on Earth will you be able to compete against India when they move into their 2nd Level Economy?

How can you possibly compete against Orluk the Turk in Central Asia?

Ndela in Sierra Leone makes $0.03/hour now, but by 2065 she'll be making over $0.45/hour.

How can you possibly ever compete against her?

I'll put it another way, the Chinese Middle Class is going to be buying cheap Indian imports, and then later the Indian Middle Class is going to be buying cheap Central Asian imports, and then near the end of this Century, the Central Asian Middle Class is going to buying cheap imports from sub-Saharan Africa.

Where is the US in all of this? Nowhere.

B-b-b-b-b-but China's manufacturing will be out-sourced to India.

Yeah, so?

That's the best thing that could ever happen to China, because that will free up Labor and Capital to allow China to move into it's 3rd Level Economy.

B-b-b-b-b-but India's manufacturing will be out-sourced to Central Asia.

Yeah, so?

That's the best thing that could ever happen to India, because that will free up Labor and Capital to allow India to move into it's 3rd Level Economy, while China moves into its 4th Level Economy.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

You cannot win, but you can re-invent yourself and start making the changes now to deal with the Future. That will be traumatic for a lot of people. I suspect it will also be the source of tremendous conflict, since Conservatism is the only thing that will work here. That will require total restoration of the Constitution and the federal government giving up the power it confiscated from the States.

Keeping up...

Mircea

Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
Quote:
I like that you started with this.....because when you responded to me you said:
Quote:

This is hilarious in its foolishness. you state that prices increased because of minimum wage increases....and used a steady increase in inflation to demonstrate it.

So we haven't had a minimum wage increase in a long long time, and yet...the CPI keeps going up.

Weird.

And...theres no bumps in the cpi that are attributable to minimum wage increases either.....

weird.

Mircea, your response shows a lack of understanding in correlation and causation. If there was some then you would be able to see it in the data. but...look-there isnt one.

I will let others respond to your wall of text, I've chosen to only respond where you quoted me and responded. Except for this bit of repeated misinformation:

Quote:
The Laws of Economics are inviolable.
There are no laws of Economics that are inviolable. there are theories, and they often have exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies