Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So they can afford it, so they need to pay above market rate right?

Would you mind putting your money where your mouth is?
At McDonalds I would, I'll pay more if it means getting workers off of food stamps. I don't shop at Walmart, but I can do Taco once in a while if I'm close to home where my toilet is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They deserve the right to ask and even unionize if they so choose.
Why? Because they are free. This isn't China where they can be thrown in jail for 15 years.
Strawman's argument? When did I imply that they did not deserve the right to ask? I asked why do they deserve more pay for doing the same low skilled job.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
At McDonalds I would, I'll pay more if it means getting workers off of food stamps. I don't shop at Walmart, but I can do Taco once in a while if I'm close to home where my toilet is.
What stops you from paying them more now? Why stop at McDonald?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
If you owned that McDonald's, that would be your right to do so. I don't think it should be the government's right to do that for you.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe it depends on the area. In my community, there are only adults who work at fast food restaurants.
Never seen anyone over 25 y/o in my city. It's all college aged kids.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
That's easy. Just don't patronize anywhere that hires a single mother and you won't be supporting a food stamp recipient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Strawman's argument? When did I imply that they did not deserve the right to ask? I asked why do they deserve more pay for doing the same low skilled job.
It was in this thread or a similar thread that people were frothing at the idea that these people could even ask for more. I was making the point that they have the right to ask. I don't know how much they "deserve".

I worked at fast food for around 6 weeks - 3 different jobs 3 different times - and I don't think the job is worth more than $12. For what I did, which was mostly standing around, maybe $7. I was making $10/hr, but the work is so mind numbingly boring that I couldn't imagine staying for long and always quit.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Yea, but if they choose to work at a low paying job for what ever reason, why should the deserve to get paid more?
For whatever reason?? It's a job to support their families. Jobs need to pay a livable wage. These corporations make millions. Without these employees they would not be the millionaires they are. In fact they would be out of business. You should take care of you employees. The premise that they will need to raise prices if they have to pay their employees more is just greed on their part because it means less money in their corporate pockets.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:32 PM

Do you all not realize that there will be a domino effect to raising the minimum wage? What will amount to salary inflation in occur? All other wages, prices of goods, and services will simple readjust but still be the same distance apart. The poverty line will slide up the scale along with the new food stamp income requirements.

My first job as a teen was at McDonalds, and minimum wage was $4.25. Since then, Minimum wage in my state has just about double, yet these people are still below the poverty line aka not making a livable wage... In all states, minimum wage has been raised countless times for decades, yet the people still making minimum wage aren't any better off lol...

How stupid can people be to even feed into this? The fact that they are tells me that they are making the amount of money that they deserve to make...

Old 09-06-2014, 10:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
For whatever reason?? It's a job to support their families. Jobs need to pay a livable wage. These corporations make millions. Without these employees they would not be the millionaires they are. In fact they would be out of business. You should take care of you employees. The premise that they will need to raise prices if they have to pay their employees more is just greed on their part because it means less money in their corporate pockets.
Most of the McD's are franchised though, so the "millions" is more like $500K-$800K at your average store. The McD's employees can start a union if they think they deserve some of that moola.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hello, one of your complete imbeciles here.

You toted up 2.25 million employees of our three largest employers. Do you realize that these millions of your fellow Americans have judged that the highest and best use of their time is to report for work at one of these employers? In other words, these millions are taking advantage of the best opportunity available to them. Of the other hundreds of thousands of other potential employers, not one has a better deal for these folks. The only logical conclusion one can draw is that each of these fine folks is getting paid the fair market value of the labor they have for sale. It isn't like any of them have a medical degree but did not realize they could be working as doctors.

The "drain on society" that you reference is not these employers, it is the employees who have failed to make themselves sufficiently valuable to the rest of society so as to be able to pull their own weight. But we are a kind people, so the better off among us pay taxes to provide food stamps and Obamacare and government housing to those who qualify and apply.

Now, your preferred approach evidently would criminalize the sale of low-skill labor for its market value. This would have a hugely negative impact on the people on the bottom rungs of society. These groups, disproportionately minorities, suffered millions of lost jobs when the minimum wage was raised 40% in 2007-2009. I do not know what you have against them.

I still find it interesting that nursing homes are paying $10-$12 for low-skilled labor even in small towns in the middle of the country, yet lower-paid retail and fast food workers are evidently too good to take on a more valuable position.
That's my point, the largest employers are going to employ hundreds of thousand of workers unless they miraculously go out of business. So let's say the Walmart worker finds a better job, someone is going to take their place, and so on. I'm not saying these workers should make 15 an hour, but if a few dollars an hour gets some of them off food stamps and they become less of a drain on society then so be it.

What I have against them? Guys like Mitt Romney and those on the right have something against them, not me or does it bother you that less people would collect food stamps therefore you would have less to whine about.

I don't want the government involved in any of it, they should have zero say in our life choices much less setting a minimum wage for private employers, if any of these top companies cared about the US, they would make the right choice, but since they only care about profits, they won't, so the rich can cry about food stamps and the 47%, while they pay their workers crap, that's hypocrisy at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies