Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 07:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Adam Smith was NOT the "father of capitalism".

Capitalism is nothing more than defending ownership and freedom to do what you want with what you own.
Yes he was. Here:

Smith, Adam*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 08:32 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,796,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not really. It's more like calling them out for being unmotivated and lazy.
You're probably right but someone has to do those jobs.

Walmart employs 1.3 million in the US, our nations largest employer, which means about 600-650 hundred thousand qualify for food stamps not including other government benefits.

Yum Brands is number 2 at about 500,000. Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell. So tack on another 150-200 hundred thousand people qualifying for government assistance.

McDonalds is 3rd at 450,000. So I figure another 300-350 thousand employees, with government assistance.

Republicans and democrats don't want illegals doing these jobs and they're right, but again someone has to do these jobs whether we like it or not. So as long as everyone is happy about the low wage payers, then why cry about the drain on society these companies cause. Or the employees need to marry better, lol.

McDonalds had 27.5 billion in revenues in 2012 and 5.5 billion profits.

Yum Brands, looks about 1 billion in profit for 2013, but I can't find a good number on them for either revenue or profit.

Walmart revenues are around 470 billion for 2013. They just introduced a dress code for their employees, lol.

Anyone who thinks our nations top employers can't afford to pay their employees a little more money is a complete imbecile. I would love to know Walmarts revenues on food stamps, since they double dip by paying their employees so low, the employee then turns around and use their food stamps at Walmart. Freaking genius, btw.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Nothing but realize that if they get rise then other more skilled jobs will get bigger raise and they are where they were. Raises are not governed by politics except in public sector. You earn money by what your worth on job is to other positions. Unskilled labor will always be the lowest.Service workers encompasses a large segment and many make very good wages. Sells can be among the highest paid if your good at it on wholesale level. Even retail industrial sales with a knowledge base can make very good money. Staying in what was once a teen job all your life isn't going anywhere.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:54 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,416,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

Walmart employs 1.3 million in the US, our nations largest employer, which means about 600-650 hundred thousand qualify for food stamps not including other government benefits.

Yum Brands is number 2 at about 500,000. Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell. So tack on another 150-200 hundred thousand people qualifying for government assistance.

McDonalds is 3rd at 450,000. So I figure another 300-350 thousand employees, with government assistance.

Republicans and democrats don't want illegals doing these jobs and they're right, but again someone has to do these jobs whether we like it or not. So as long as everyone is happy about the low wage payers, then why cry about the drain on society these companies cause. Or the employees need to marry better, lol.

Yum Brands, looks about 1 billion in profit for 2013, but I can't find a good number on them for either revenue or profit.

Walmart revenues are around 470 billion for 2013. They just introduced a dress code for their employees, lol.

Anyone who thinks our nations top employers can't afford to pay their employees a little more money is a complete imbecile. I would love to know Walmarts revenues on food stamps, since they double dip by paying their employees so low, the employee then turns around and use their food stamps at Walmart. Freaking genius, btw.
Hello, one of your complete imbeciles here.

You toted up 2.25 million employees of our three largest employers. Do you realize that these millions of your fellow Americans have judged that the highest and best use of their time is to report for work at one of these employers? In other words, these millions are taking advantage of the best opportunity available to them. Of the other hundreds of thousands of other potential employers, not one has a better deal for these folks. The only logical conclusion one can draw is that each of these fine folks is getting paid the fair market value of the labor they have for sale. It isn't like any of them have a medical degree but did not realize they could be working as doctors.

The "drain on society" that you reference is not these employers, it is the employees who have failed to make themselves sufficiently valuable to the rest of society so as to be able to pull their own weight. But we are a kind people, so the better off among us pay taxes to provide food stamps and Obamacare and government housing to those who qualify and apply.

Now, your preferred approach evidently would criminalize the sale of low-skill labor for its market value. This would have a hugely negative impact on the people on the bottom rungs of society. These groups, disproportionately minorities, suffered millions of lost jobs when the minimum wage was raised 40% in 2007-2009. I do not know what you have against them.

I still find it interesting that nursing homes are paying $10-$12 for low-skilled labor even in small towns in the middle of the country, yet lower-paid retail and fast food workers are evidently too good to take on a more valuable position.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,588,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

So they can afford it, so they need to pay above market rate right?

Would you mind putting your money where your mouth is?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:52 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
THIS!!
I saw it many times during my years working at a closed-shop union job. WE got a contract mandated pay raise from our employer (one of the largest in the area in terms of number of employees), so the prices in the grocery store went up, so the employees of other businesses wanted a pay raise, so the prices in other stores went up, and within a month our buying power was at the same level as it was before the pay raise! Sometimes our real net increase turned out to be a decrease.
Then the union bragged about what a great job they were doing for us.
Besides, the starting wage at the local McDonalds is $9.50/hour!
By the way, I just passed the local McDonalds tonight, and the readerboard is advertising for workers to be hired at $10.50/hour for some shifts. They are hiring for the existing store, AND for the new store that is being built about 3 miles away!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The majority of burger flippers are kids.

And as far as the adults that have made McDonald's their "career"..I seriously doubt any of them could do better.

Most FF workers only stay 6 months on the job before they move to the next FF place.
FF is the most transient job out there. That's why it pays min wage.
Maybe it depends on the area. In my community, there are only adults who work at fast food restaurants.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,760,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe it depends on the area. In my community, there are only adults who work at fast food restaurants.
Yea, but if they choose to work at a low paying job for what ever reason, why should the deserve to get paid more?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Yea, but if they choose to work at a low paying job for what ever reason, why should the deserve to get paid more?
They deserve the right to ask and even unionize if they so choose.
Why? Because they are free. This isn't China where they can be thrown in jail for 15 years.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They deserve the right to ask and even unionize if they so choose.
Why? Because they are free. This isn't China where they can be thrown in jail for 15 years.
Nothing is stopping them from unionizing if that is what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies