Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Please.. Please.. Please... do not take out any student loans to do it! I applaud you doing something to better yourself and wish you great success... but to be honest.. you've done nothing but complain here for ages about your student debt.

Not complaining about the debt...complaining about the monthlly payments on a poverty level income while others with twice my income have no payments.

Although I could complain about the debt, as I shouldn't have had to borrow in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Corporations make millions on the backs of the middle class. They sit back in their cushy office or on in their vacation homes without a care and could care less about their employees.
Oh, joy. Yet another liberal who has no clue whatsoever that the various retirement plans (public/private union pensions, 401Ks, etc.) hold over $27 trillion worth of investments.

Tens of millions of working middle class Americans depend on corporate profits to fund their retirement.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:07 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've tried to try it, but money kept getting in the way.

I feel like I'm getting frammed (sic), I couldn't pay a little now, so I'm paying up the wazoo later.
NOW do you get what your landlord did? Invested HIS money.

BTW I believe (sic) is used when you quote someone who misspelled a word and you realize it's spelled wrong but it's not a quote if you change it. If you want to indicate that you don't know the spelling and are too lazy to look it up (which is fine by me because I just don't want to look up words sometimes too and do this), you use (sp?). Of course now I'm probably going to find out that I've been doing it wrong all these years....

Old 09-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Not really, since he bought it with nothing down.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Not complaining about the debt...complaining about the monthlly payments on a poverty level income while others with twice my income have no payments.
I hate to break it to you sweetie, but you've complained about it. About flipping burgers. About your landlord. About your bad credit. About your student debt. And I've seen you given some absolutely wonderful advice about how to cure what ails you. It's refreshing to see you being pro-active about changing the things that are not working. It shows growth. And that's what we all are working for.....

Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Which means he has a mortgage and is paying interest. The risk is all his. You need good credit to buy without a down payment and you still pay a higher interest rate for doing so. He could lose his shirt if the market tumbles again or he has rental units sitting empty for some reason or tenants damage the property or...or...or...

Do you even realize that if someone stops paying their rent today, it will take him a year to evict them? A year during which it's in his best interest to keep the heat on during the winter so the pipes don't freeze? And quite often when people are evicted they trash the place before they leave because they're mad at being kicked out. If one renter does this, he goes a year without collecting rent, still has to pay the mortgage and the the electric and heating bill (and likely the water if there are children present) and then has to repair the unit before he can rent it again. There goes his "money tree". He can attempt to sue and will win in court but winning and collecting are two different things.

I know of a rental house that may be condemned right now. The owner had to evict the tenants who left a few days before the scheduled eviction date without telling him only they plugged all the drains and left the water running. The basement was full of water when the landlord got in and the water had soaked into the wood in the and wicked up the wood which is now molding. They may not be able to salvage the house. He can sue them but he'll probably never collect. The property is insured for what it's worth but he can't rebuild. They'll tear it down and leave a vacant lot and he'll go buy another house to rent but he's lost a lot here. No rent for the entire eviction process and now no rent until he can clean this house up or it's condemned and he buys another one.

He is taking all the risk. That money tree could turn into a money pit over night. During the height of the foreclosures, almost every house that foreclosed near me was stripped of anything worth anything by the previous owners. Light fixtures, copper piping, conduit, copper wire, air conditioners, you name it was pulled and sold for scrap leaving the bank with a shell of a house that wasn't worth much. Renters can do the same leaving your investment worthless.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-07-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 11:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Why don't you do it yourself since there's no risk?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:12 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
There is no resolution under current money madness.

Congress consistently debases the money system (inflation).

The problem about a "living wage" is that too many recipients are living off the worker, for his wages ever to be sufficient.

A worker in 1900, earning $1/day had more buying power, and far less taxes.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

BTW I believe (sic) is used when you quote someone who misspelled a word and you realize it's spelled wrong but it's not a quote if you change it. If you want to indicate that you don't know the spelling and are too lazy to look it up (which is fine by me because I just don't want to look up words sometimes too and do this), you use (sp?). Of course now I'm probably going to find out that I've been doing it wrong all these years....

I'll have to look it up but I think (sic) also covers this situation; I used it to indicate what I types should be taken as is and is not a typo or a misspelling, i.e. not 'framed'.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
There is no resolution under current money madness.

Congress consistently debases the money system (inflation).

The problem about a "living wage" is that too many recipients are living off the worker, for his wages ever to be sufficient.

A worker in 1900, earning $1/day had more buying power, and far less taxes.
It's not the Congress' fault. It's the fault of the clueless people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies