Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 AM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You get a student loan which covers living expenses as well as tuition and you go get some job skills that will let you make more than $10/hr.
Or you win the lottery. Isn't that simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 AM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Then you're responsible for A) Increasing your value, or B) get a 2nd job.

Or simply crawl into a whole and die. Is that too much to ask?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:40 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Someday we all be replaced by robots and artificial intelligence but does that mean that we should just crawl under a rock and die?

Every worker deserve a decent pay and decent life.
move to Cuba...everyone gets the same of everything. What you are seeking, from what I've been able to read in this thread so far from you (40 pages out of 101+) is equal everything for everyone....communism.

What will persuade a doctor, a scientist, a fighter pilot, a lawyer, etc... to go to school longer, potentially work harder/more stressful conditions, when he could get the exact same from working at a burger joint.

Why take on 100k + in debt and 6-8 years of school for no benefit? Why sacrifice so much? Or furthermore, what about the paramedics who are LITERALLY saving lives daily and get paid less than 15 an hour in my region. What about educators that barely squeek by with that much? and i'm not in the middle of nowhere, but a metro of 4 million people.
What about the various trade services? Here electricians and the like don't make over 20 an hour, nor do mechanics or anything in between. All which require more skill than microwaving a burger.
shoot bank tellers don't make much more than a mcdonalds worker, yet their responsibilities are considerably higher.

i'm not professing to be "better" than people in the FF industry. everyone does what they can to get by. It is a means to an end...It is not, however designed to be the last time for a career choice for the masses. We need diversity in employment and employees. You start increasing the minimum wage to more money than some graduates make, and suddenly graduates are working at mcdonalds...What then, happens to the low skill workers who just got to boot?

You mentioned early on that auto mechanics are not skilled labor. How about you go and change your timing belt and water pump in < 6 hours. After you finish that you should go diagnose that random ticking sound in the engine bay and the mysterious electrical problem causing a faulty CEL.

Truck driving is so mindless to you, but try driving a 40,000lb load up a 5% grade for 40 miles in 4" of snow and then come back down the other side of the mountain over bridges of black ice and every tourist in the area jockying to pass eachother after a weekend at the local ski resort.
Then once you've reached you destination, go ahead and get the trailer loaded back up and make another 2,000 mile treck over the next 3 days and phone your family while you can. Watch the medical bills rise as you grow older because all you can do is sit in your rig and drive, strain your eyes and drive, eat whatever is on the road because you don't have a full on kitchen in the rig and drive.
All while getting paid MAYBE 40k a year for the first few years, taking the worst loads that none of the veteran guys want.
don't forget the qualifications...You don't have to have a perfect driving record to work at McDonalds...You do to drive a truck. There are numerous others but that is a quick example.

i don't even drive trucks, I work medical. But I have dipped my feet in various trades...i get paid decently now. And I've gotten paid poorly before. But I can recognize the difficulties, hazards, and skills needed in other fields that i may not be as well versed in.

You have insulted numerous people here with your "my business school was better than yours" and "its basic ECON101" but in reality, these are all of the lazy answers...the deflections and the pedastal you put yourself on. When, if you just considered others opinions, and potentially opened your eyes, if only for a short time. YOU MIGHT SEE THE REAL WORLD AND HOW IT WORKS!!!!

I haven't multi-quoted your posts...but I have replied to many, feel free to read em.

People have broughten up the differences in burger prices in european countries, and the difference in wage. Your reply is that the minimum wage has zero affect as to why a gallon of milk is 3x more expensive there, or why a burger costs twice as much.
Then do tell, WHY are things more expensive there? And how then is their minimum wage in correlation with their cost of goods any better than ours? What you want is their wages, and our prices? It doesn't work that way....sorry.

You also were very sure that people must have of deserve cell phones and a car. Public transit IS far cheaper and readily available for 85+% of the population. And ive never seen a job posting require a cell phone. At least not a stationary job. You are confusing wants with needs

Edit: i do want to add though, if minimum wage had kept pace with inflation it should be 11-12 an hour now. Which I am completely fine with...But the people making 15 right now would likely be wanting/should be at 18-20 and so on. people making 30 would be or should be making 35+ an hour and so on

Last edited by enigmadsm; 09-15-2014 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Or simply crawl into a whole and die. Is that too much to ask?
So you rather crawl into a hole and die than taking a second job or improving yourself? Got it!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default Accountibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So you rather crawl into a hole and die than taking a second job or improving yourself? Got it!

Make these retail clerks and fast food experts accountable for sales? See how that fly's?

Guarantee major push, and the old tire saying I hear" Its not my Job".:cryi ng:

Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That's not the question I asked, you moved the goal posts. I repeat:
If your $10 an hour wage is the lowest and you cannot afford the basic costs (housing, food, transportation, health, etc.) BUT you cannot get welfare because your idea of having a job eliminates you from welfare, how do you live?
Actually, the goal posts are exactly where they were. However, I'll answer your question since you insist.

What do you do when you make $10 an hour and can't afford the basic costs of living? You do the exact same thing that you would do when you make $20 an hour and can't afford the basic costs of living. You cut your budget, you stop spending money on frivolous expenses, and you either find a job that pays better or you get a second job to make up the difference. It happens every day, in every city, in every state. There are people out there who will do whatever it takes to take care of their and their family's needs, and there are people out there who want to sit back and whine about their situation in life. Personally, I think it's better to be in the former category.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:22 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
move to Cuba...everyone gets the same of everything. What you are seeking, from what I've been able to read in this thread so far from you (40 pages out of 101+) is equal everything for everyone....communism.

What will persuade a doctor, a scientist, a fighter pilot, a lawyer, etc... to go to school longer, potentially work harder/more stressful conditions, when he could get the exact same from working at a burger joint.

Why take on 100k + in debt and 6-8 years of school for no benefit? Why sacrifice so much? Or furthermore, what about the paramedics who are LITERALLY saving lives daily and get paid less than 15 an hour in my region. What about educators that barely squeek by with that much? and i'm not in the middle of nowhere, but a metro of 4 million people.
What about the various trade services? Here electricians and the like don't make over 20 an hour, nor do mechanics or anything in between. All which require more skill than microwaving a burger.
shoot bank tellers don't make much more than a mcdonalds worker, yet their responsibilities are considerably higher.

i'm not professing to be "better" than people in the FF industry. everyone does what they can to get by. It is a means to an end...It is not, however designed to be the last time for a career choice for the masses. We need diversity in employment and employees. You start increasing the minimum wage to more money than some graduates make, and suddenly graduates are working at mcdonalds...What then, happens to the low skill workers who just got to boot?

You mentioned early on that auto mechanics are not skilled labor. How about you go and change your timing belt and water pump in < 6 hours. After you finish that you should go diagnose that random ticking sound in the engine bay and the mysterious electrical problem causing a faulty CEL.

Truck driving is so mindless to you, but try driving a 40,000lb load up a 5% grade for 40 miles in 4" of snow and then come back down the other side of the mountain over bridges of black ice and every tourist in the area jockying to pass eachother after a weekend at the local ski resort.
Then once you've reached you destination, go ahead and get the trailer loaded back up and make another 2,000 mile treck over the next 3 days and phone your family while you can. Watch the medical bills rise as you grow older because all you can do is sit in your rig and drive, strain your eyes and drive, eat whatever is on the road because you don't have a full on kitchen in the rig and drive.
All while getting paid MAYBE 40k a year for the first few years, taking the worst loads that none of the veteran guys want.
don't forget the qualifications...You don't have to have a perfect driving record to work at McDonalds...You do to drive a truck. There are numerous others but that is a quick example.

i don't even drive trucks, I work medical. But I have dipped my feet in various trades...i get paid decently now. And I've gotten paid poorly before. But I can recognize the difficulties, hazards, and skills needed in other fields that i may not be as well versed in.

You have insulted numerous people here with your "my business school was better than yours" and "its basic ECON101" but in reality, these are all of the lazy answers...the deflections and the pedastal you put yourself on. When, if you just considered others opinions, and potentially opened your eyes, if only for a short time. YOU MIGHT SEE THE REAL WORLD AND HOW IT WORKS!!!!

I haven't multi-quoted your posts...but I have replied to many, feel free to read em.

People have broughten up the differences in burger prices in european countries, and the difference in wage. Your reply is that the minimum wage has zero affect as to why a gallon of milk is 3x more expensive there, or why a burger costs twice as much.
Then do tell, WHY are things more expensive there? And how then is their minimum wage in correlation with their cost of goods any better than ours? What you want is their wages, and our prices? It doesn't work that way....sorry.

You also were very sure that people must have of deserve cell phones and a car. Public transit IS far cheaper and readily available for 85+% of the population. And ive never seen a job posting require a cell phone. At least not a stationary job. You are confusing wants with needs

Edit: i do want to add though, if minimum wage had kept pace with inflation it should be 11-12 an hour now. Which I am completely fine with...But the people making 15 right now would likely be wanting/should be at 18-20 and so on. people making 30 would be or should be making 35+ an hour and so on
This may be the best post in this thread.

As a former truck driver, your description is spot-on accurate when it comes to some of the things that truckers have to deal with. You left out a few things such as dispatchers who don't know how to read a map and warehouse personnel who can't figure out how to operate a pallet jack, much less load a truck properly, but other than that you're on target. Oh, and the little things like brake lines freezing up and tires blowing out at 60 mph. You haven't known anxiety until you blow a steer (front) tire on a loaded tractor trailer while going down the highway.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 AM

here's what I really want to know...What happened to the drive and competitive spirit of our country? That desire to be the best! Why is it that we now reward averageness. We give out participation trophies to kids (I get it, keep the positive mentality and the feel good attitude) but here we are now with my generation holding their hands out expecting everything to be given to them. Expecting that being average makes you just as great and worth while as the NASA scientist down the road. There is nothing wrong with wanting the "best" for each person in society. But we can't provide that FOR them. They have to want it, and go out and try to achieve it.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
here's what I really want to know...What happened to the drive and competitive spirit of our country? That desire to be the best! Why is it that we now reward averageness. We give out participation trophies to kids (I get it, keep the positive mentality and the feel good attitude) but here we are now with my generation holding their hands out expecting everything to be given to them. Expecting that being average makes you just as great and worth while as the NASA scientist down the road. There is nothing wrong with wanting the "best" for each person in society. But we can't provide that FOR them. They have to want it, and go out and try to achieve it.
They didn't ask you to reward the average. They ask you to give out participation trophies - just because I have a job so I deserve to be paid X.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This may be the best post in this thread.

As a former truck driver, your description is spot-on accurate when it comes to some of the things that truckers have to deal with. You left out a few things such as dispatchers who don't know how to read a map and warehouse personnel who can't figure out how to operate a pallet jack, much less load a truck properly, but other than that you're on target. Oh, and the little things like brake lines freezing up and tires blowing out at 60 mph. You haven't known anxiety until you blow a steer (front) tire on a loaded tractor trailer while going down the highway.
Haha. I didn't even think about that. It has to be insanely stressful. Missing a gear on a climb, or coming back down.
I'm sure tire blow outs are pretty common with the amount of recaps out there too.

then you've got the drivers carrying hazardous goods and what not. Yet again more qualifications needed.

Lets not forget that the majority of stores in the country don't keep more than a 2-3 day supply to stock the shelves AT MOST and the vast majority of it is brought in by truck. without the drivers, who and how do people get their essentials week in and week out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies