Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 09:21 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You don't understand economics. Not everyone can be "skilled." If everyone is skilled, no one is skilled.

I guess when all people with Bachelor's degrees are flipping burgers you will understand supply and demand.
Im not understanding, or you arent?

Not everyone is skilled. But YOU want everyone to be paid as is they are.

And u further make my point. If wages go up the pool of people increase. More become interested in working at McDonald's for double the money instead of using that degree for a lower paying entry level job. So again, what happens to the non skilled?
Its been proven what happens to the lower class when you raise minimum wage and its not beneficial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Irrelevant.
oh.....having SELF PRIDE...being SELF MOTIVATED...LEARNING A SKILL is irrelevant????

you have proven your self to be ignorant of realiity

Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
It is enough to have hungry children. Child hunger is unacceptable in this country.
I feed a family of four on less than $300 a month, and we eat nutritious meals. Get a new argument.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Quote:
It's extortion to demand businesses pay employees a wage so that American citizens and their children can eat without taxpayer subsidy?
Yes, it is extortion to use coercion, the evil thug State, to force somone (either employer or customer) to pay above the market value for a service.

extortion: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 AM

13,931 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
You don't understand economics. Not everyone can be "skilled." If everyone is skilled, no one is skilled.

I guess when all people with Bachelor's degrees are flipping burgers you will understand supply and demand.
Skills and employer value are a continuum, not fixed points.

All these jobs you are demanding pay $15 are zero skill, transitory, starting jobs in a person's life. They are not destinations, but starting points. I've had tons of them, but do not have them any longer because I gained skills over time, thus increased my value over time.

You are advocating paying a transition, essentially temp, job that anyone can be trained for in hours as if it were a career choice. It isn't. Not all work is mean to provide compensation relevant to one standard of living. It simply does not work that way in any economic system, never has and never will. The jobs in question have low pay and high turnover. They're supposed to. The low pay and nature of the work are (or should be) a motivating force to move you along the skills/value continuum.

And if this is so important to you, I would ask once more - when you go to a fast food joint, do you estimate the difference in the actual pay vs what you think it should be and then tip appropriately? Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store to close the gap between minimum and liveable wages? If not...why not? Nobody will say not to your money, and you don't need anyone's permission or assistance to put your plan into action. So do you pay the difference between minimum and liveable for every un/low skilled worker who provides you a service?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Im not understanding, or you arent?

Not everyone is skilled. But YOU want everyone to be paid as is they are.

And u further make my point. If wages go up the pool of people increase. More become interested in working at McDonald's for double the money instead of using that degree for a lower paying entry level job. So again, what happens to the non skilled?
Its been proven what happens to the lower class when you raise minimum wage and its not beneficial
No it hasn't been and the experience of entire civilized and industrialized world proves that when minimum wages go up the entire economy gets a boost.

And no, college graduates are not necessarily going to be better at minimum wage jobs... Lol

Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Of course they don't overpay others because of their conviction that people should be paid more. They fail to realize that they themselves are setting the value of those workers every time that they do business with them. It is like saying that everyone "should" make this amount yet they are unwilling to pay them that themselves...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Skills and employer value are a continuum, not fixed points.

All these jobs you are demanding pay $15 are zero skill, transitory, starting jobs in a person's life.

What do you mean "no-skill, transitory"? I am going to beg you wouldn't be able to do a fast food job as it requires product knowledge, knowledge of POS, customer service and company's methods and procedures. What's that nonsense about fast food jobs being "no-skill"? They certainly require as much skill as letter carriers at post office yet nobody calls mail men no-skill, no ambition, transitory occupation....

They are not destinations, but starting points. I've had tons of them, but do not have them any longer because I gained skills over time, thus increased my value over time.

You are advocating paying a transition, essentially temp, job that anyone can be trained for in hours as if it were a career choice. It isn't. Not all work is mean to provide compensation relevant to one standard of living. It simply does not work that way in any economic system, never has and never will. The jobs in question have low pay and high turnover. They're supposed to. The low pay and nature of the work are (or should be) a motivating force to move you along the skills/value continuum.

And if this is so important to you, I would ask once more - when you go to a fast food joint, do you estimate the difference in the actual pay vs what you think it should be and then tip appropriately? Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store to close the gap between minimum and liveable wages? If not...why not? Nobody will say not to your money, and you don't need anyone's permission or assistance to put your plan into action. So do you pay the difference between minimum and liveable for every un/low skilled worker who provides you a service?[/quote]

Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Raising your children is YOUR responsibility not mine or the society's just like paying for the car is YOUR responsibility!

You do understand that without children this society would simply die off.... Eh, maybe you don't.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
False equivalency.

Burger flipping is a "real job."

I'm glad we're making progress. At least you admit you think people working full time in fast food deserve to starve.

It is enough to have hungry children. Child hunger is unacceptable in this country.
Just skip the formalities and promote pure communism so that we're all "equal".
That is what you want even though you haven't verbalized it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies