Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 01:08 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post

PS Switzerland has extremely strict gun control
Making things up again I see.......

How Switzerland Has Developed A Gun Culture That Works
Quote:
Kids as young as 12 belong to gun groups in their local communities, where
they learn sharpshooting. The Swiss Shooting Sports Association runs about 3,000
clubs and has 150,000 members, including a youth section. Many members keep
their guns and ammunition at home, while others choose to leave them at the
club. And yet, despite such easy access to pistols and rifles, “no members have
ever used their guns for criminal purposes,”
I found this bit from the TIME article particularly interesting....

Quote:
“Social conditions are fundamental in deterring crime,” says Peter Squires,
professor of criminology and public policy at the University of Brighton in
Great Britain, who has studied gun violence in different countries
snopes.com: Gun Ownership in Switzerland

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess when you just make up your own facts, anything can be true if you need it to, but unfortunate for you, that's not how things work in the real world....

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-10-2014 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

I guess when you just make up your own facts, anything can be true if you need it to, but unfortunate for you, that's not how things work in the real world....
They do indeed have very strict gun control:

Firearms-Control Legislation and Policy: Switzerland | Law Library of Congress

"Until the late 1980s, this lack of uniformity in gun control worked well for Switzerland. Crime rates were low and the Swiss were comfortable with private gun ownership because of the militia system. In the early 1990s, however, the crime rate increased, and Swiss guns were frequently implicated in the European terrorist scene and in the wars that ravaged former Yugoslavia. These circumstances led to a climate of domestic and international pressure that persuaded the Swiss to abandon their laissez faire attitude toward firearms and start the cumbersome legislative process of enacting a federal weapons law."[7]

Imagine that; their "laissez faire" attitude towards firearms creating problems for their neighbours caused them to act. Imagine such an intelligent approach. Gollllllly; that intelligence ain't a'gonna happen on this continent. that's a fer sure!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Someone a while back mentioned Japan and their low crime rate. Sure , crime is lower there than here in the US but they are not without their own problems. Culturally Japanese are raised completely different then we are, from birth on. They more or less internalize everything, so lashing out isn't their nature. What that causes is an extremely high suicide rate there. Jumping in front of trains is a popular way to take ones life over there. It happens so often that they actually charge the family of the deceased for the clean up.
This basically point the issues of crime , violence whatever to something far deeper than firearms. Anti's just like to call out the firearm because it is a fast feel good type of thing, make them feel like progress is happening. Eliminate firearms and we will all be safe... completely ignoring the elephant in the room that we have a decaying of society and that those issues are the deep ones that no one wants to address because they aren't going to be pretty, they aren't going to be PC and they are going to hurt a lot of peoples feelings. Instead of facing up to the real problems we will continue to just throw band aids on things to make people feel good so they can keep on drinking their latte's and playing with their latest smart phones.

Japan's suicide rate exceeds world average: WHO report | The Japan Times

Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I'm talking about your scenarios of a kid hitting another kid with a rolled up piece of paper or something and using that as the reason to carry.
Quote:

I used that example because it seemed like an object that a first grader could easily get his hands on in a talent show. But I agree, the aggressor could easily pick up some other object and start whaling on the plaintiff's kid.
Half the reason why folks want to be able to carry INTO someplace is the trip from the car to the door, that's hardly a secured area. Then what do we do with the firearm once we're there? I personally wouldn't mind a compromise, especially at courthouses and the like, that provides people a locker to check their piece in, and a "clearing barrel" to unload the weapon safely. Without those measures in place, the only safe place for a firearm, is in its owner's holster (meaning I don't want the procedure to just be to hand the loaded weapon over to the secretary).
I can understand the father being fearful during the trip from the car to the schoolhouse door. That's scary business. However, that wasn't mentioned by the plaintiff and the article made it sound like he wanted be armed during the show.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can understand the father being fearful during the trip from the car to the schoolhouse door. That's scary business. However, that wasn't mentioned by the plaintiff and the article made it sound like he wanted be armed during the show.

According to the constitution of these United States of America, he has every right to be armed where ever he chooses to travel.
Also, according to the US Constitution, nothing short of an amendment can change that fact.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
What's the other option? Leave the gun in the car?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
According to the constitution of these United States of America, he has every right to be armed where ever he chooses to travel.
Also, according to the US Constitution, nothing short of an amendment can change that fact.
Exactly.

Not only that, it's just plain common sense not to go into some first grade talent show without your firearms. Things can get ugly fast in that environment.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
What's the other option? Leave the gun in the car?
Good point.

I wonder how many people are willing to walk all the way from their car to the schoolhouse door without their firearm? And then sit through an entire first grade talent show completely unarmed? The ones who do apparently don't realize that it's a scary world out there.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Good point.

I wonder how many people are willing to walk all the way from their car to the schoolhouse door without their firearm? And then sit through an entire first grade talent show completely unarmed? The ones who do apparently don't realize that it's a scary world out there.
It's not just the walk to and from the car. What about the rest of the day this man will spend out in public?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times
Buahahaha. Somebody would like to see Switzerland as another Texas where in fact gun laws in Switzerland are way more restrictive. I would actually like to see these laws transferred to the us. Wouldn't you? Lol

- Swiss men have an option to keep their military grade rifles issued upon entering compulsory army training, in their houses but can have no bullets for these rifles. All rifles are registered and all owners have to be licensed.

- To carry a loaded firearm in public or outdoors (and for an individual who is a member of the militia carrying a firearm other than his Army-issue personal weapons off-duty), a person must have a Waffentragbewilligung (gun carrying permit), which in most cases is issued only to private citizens working in occupations such as security.[14] It is, however, quite common to see a person serving military service to be en route with his rifle, albeit unloaded.[15]"

-Transporting guns
Guns may be transported in public as long as an appropriate justification is present. This means to transport a gun in public, the following requirements apply:

The ammunition must be separated from the gun, no ammunition in a magazine.
The transport needs to be as direct as possible and needs a valid purpose:
For courses or exercises hosted by marksmanship, hunting or military organisations,
To an army warehouse and back,
To show the gun to a friend or a possible buyer
To and from a holder of a valid arms trade permit,
To and from a specific event, i.e. gun shows.[16]

Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies