Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:39 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times

Advertisements

While some are applauding the NFL taking these players off the field, I'm looking at the situation differently. First off, it's not the NFL's job to punish players for their possible criminal actions off the field. That job belongs to the police. If Justice wasn't fairly served because of favoritism then there are legal avenues to find and correct the problem. But as employers, they do have the right to hire or fire anyone they want. But this being a contractual and union job, there are legal issues to consider when it comes time to fire someone for off the field actions. If the NFL and society in General want better behaved athletes then start in public school. If a star player is causing trouble and breaking school rules, punish him just as you would punish any other student. Don't make exceptions for athletes. Teach them that actions have consequences regardless of how well you can run, throw, block, or jump. For athletes already in the pros, if you have a problem with anger, drugs, or alcohol; it's better to admit the problem and seek help than to ignore the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 05:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Agreed. The athletes are not normal. How could they be? They've been pampered by their handlers from the moment they've scored touchdowns and many cannot make informed decisions for themselves.

Pump them full of prescription drugs but find marijuana or any "unapproved substance" in their system and all of a sudden they've done something wrong.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
The only problem with your argument is the players sign a conduct clause when signing their contract. I do not know if that is the case for every player but my guess would be that all players have the conduct clause. If it was not for that fact I would agree with you that it is not the employers place to punish you before you have been found guilty by the justice system.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
While some are applauding the NFL taking these players off the field, I'm looking at the situation differently. First off, it's not the NFL's job to punish players for their possible criminal actions off the field. That job belongs to the police. If Justice wasn't fairly served because of favoritism then there are legal avenues to find and correct the problem. But as employers, they do have the right to hire or fire anyone they want. But this being a contractual and union job, there are legal issues to consider when it comes time to fire someone for off the field actions. If the NFL and society in General want better behaved athletes then start in public school. If a star player is causing trouble and breaking school rules, punish him just as you would punish any other student. Don't make exceptions for athletes. Teach them that actions have consequences regardless of how well you can run, throw, block, or jump. For athletes already in the pros, if you have a problem with anger, drugs, or alcohol; it's better to admit the problem and seek help than to ignore the problem.

I agree but I don't believe the NFL really gives a rat's ass about players' off field behavior. I think its sole concern is keeping their $ponsors$ happy.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The only problem with your argument is the players sign a conduct clause when signing their contract. I do not know if that is the case for every player but my guess would be that all players have the conduct clause. If it was not for that fact I would agree with you that it is not the employers place to punish you before you have been found guilty by the justice system.
I believe that is in the contract since the league office will suspend the player anyway so he's not useful for his team. Saves the team money. Gives them an out.
Where else can the player go? Limited job field in that occupation.
I wonder if the Raiders have that in anyones contract?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
A football player isn't some backroom employee. He represents the brand, is the public face of the brand, and is part of the marketing strategy. When he takes the field the owners expect him to be cheered and idolized not booed as wife or child beater. In return for a multi year million dollar contract he agrees not to besmirch the brand. Mom, apple pie, and football.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Quote:
While some are applauding the NFL taking these players off the field, I'm looking at the situation differently. First off, it's not the NFL's job to punish players for their possible criminal actions off the field. That job belongs to the police.
Wrong - each player is a representative of the employer, and the NFL brand. Thus what you do, who you do, what you hit, what drugs, whatever all reflect onto the NFL.

A lot of people have been fired for things that they did not related to work. If you impact a companies brand, you can be fired. . if it will make the company look better. NFL players are higher visibility, but if you act bad enough you too can feel your employers wrath.

Quote:
If Justice wasn't fairly served because of favoritism then there are legal avenues to find and correct the problem.
NFL players as brand representatives must continue to be good for the NFL, their team, and the sponsors. As such, actually being guilty is irrelevant. Brands are built on perception.

Quote:
But as employers, they do have the right to hire or fire anyone they want. But this being a contractual and union job, there are legal issues to consider when it comes time to fire someone for off the field actions. If the NFL and society in General want better behaved athletes then start in public school. If a star player is causing trouble and breaking school rules, punish him just as you would punish any other student. Don't make exceptions for athletes. Teach them that actions have consequences regardless of how well you can run, throw, block, or jump. For athletes already in the pros, if you have a problem with anger, drugs, or alcohol; it's better to admit the problem and seek help than to ignore the problem.
NFL, as I understand it, have conduct rules and behavior for their players. I'm sure the Union won't like some of the new rules coming down the pike. . but who the f' cares.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:10 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A football player isn't some backroom employee. He represents the brand, is the public face of the brand, and is part of the marketing strategy. When he takes the field the owners expect him to be cheered and idolized not booed as wife or child beater. In return for a multi year million dollar contract he agrees not to besmirch the brand. Mom, apple pie, and football.
Everything you say is true but blame the team owners and the league for ignoring the conduct clause, it's more important to keep the player on the field rather than lose money at the gate. Does anyone believe that Ray Rice's or Peterson's original suspensions was about anything but loss of money for the teams.

These athletes didn't get just get this way just in the pros, they started this behavior in college, some as far back as high school where the importance of sports trumped good common sense behavior and discipline.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Everything you say is true but blame the team owners and the league for ignoring the conduct clause, it's more important to keep the player on the field rather than lose money at the gate. Does anyone believe that Ray Rice's or Peterson's original suspensions was about anything but loss of money for the teams.

These athletes didn't get just get this way just in the pros, they started this behavior in college, some as far back as high school where the importance of sports trumped good common sense behavior and discipline.
well said. it really starts in high school these days. athletic program boosters do everything they can to make these guys invulnerable to criminal prosecution. then they get into college, usually on an athletic scholarship, and the boosters that spend a ton of money to support the athletic programs also do everything they can to make these guys invulnerable to criminal prosecution, or at least get the law to look the other way for a while.

and it makes the trouble makers prima donnas who think they are entitled to do what ever they want, i mean they have been getting away with things that would have had them in jail many times for years.

like police officers, and others that hold sway over the lives of others, we need to hold these elite athletes to a higher standard, and this needs to start in high school. they cant just take underwater basket weaving for four years, and graduate to an athletic scholarship, and take the same course in college.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree but I don't believe the NFL really gives a rat's ass about players' off field behavior. I think its sole concern is keeping their $ponsors$ happy.
Pretty much right. I'm not sure about on the field either with the concussion disaster. The other thing most of these guys aren't nice guys on the field. Some of them can turn it off, some of them can't.

To do what they do takes a special person at the pro level, it's why so many college stars find out the NFL is a totally different beast. Some of these 350 LB linemen defy physics, running 4.8 speeds in a 40 yard dash, thats just ridiculous.

Look what they all say about being crippled or brain damaged, "I'd do it all over again" even the guys who didn't make a ton of money. I think there's something wrong with a lot of them, upstairs before they even get to the NFL.

I don't make excuses for them, being nuts doesn't give you the right to beat up a woman. I can see how it happens though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies