Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,774 times

Advertisements

Throughout my life I have lived in several "bad" neighborhoods where I have been the minority as a single middle-aged white male. Through my observations while living in a lower income majorly black neighborhood and also a lower income mixed about 30/30/30 black, white, hispanic neighborhood, life has been miserable. The main factor in this is the people living in and around the area. The neighborhoods are badly neglected; trash all over the place. They are also high crime areas. After living in one of the areas for 2 months, my house was robbed, my prescription medication was stolen out of my mailbox, and my car has been vandalized. The behavior of the people around here is unacceptable. I constantly hear people yelling and cussing, occasional fights, VERY LOUD rap music day and night, large groups of people hanging out in the middle of the street being loud and ignorant.... this behavior is exhibited all through the area on the streets and in the stores. The thing is that the majority of these people that I have witnessed all throughout this city have been black.

On the flipside, I also lived in a lower income majorly white part of the city and my experience has been MUCH BETTER. The yards and houses are well kept, much quieter at night time, and safer streets. Not that there isn't any crime in this white neighborhood, but much much less.

I have seen this situation in multiple cities in multiple states. The majorly black neighborhoods have been filled with crime, trash, and ignorance. I have NEVER been in a majorly black neighborhood that is considered a "nice" part of town. Now am I being racist for speaking my mind on my observations or what? Can somebody please explain this phenomenon to me?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:28 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
This phenomenon has more to do with things like culture than race (though some culture involves racial inclusion and exclusion).

Old 09-11-2014, 09:35 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Move to a middle class neighborhood.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Move to a middle class neighborhood.
Don't you think I would if I could? Unfortunately that is not an option for a lot.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:44 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,243 times
poverty and crime go hand in hand

do you know of any poor neighborhoods w/o crime and people loitering outside all day

in majority white neighborhoods you only see people on the streets when they are jogging or walking a dog

thats how it is... thats why people that are able to move to better neighboorhoods, gated communities and shht like that

aint nobody purposely trying to live in gutter ass neighborhoods

Old 09-11-2014, 09:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Throughout my life I have lived in several "bad" neighborhoods where I have been the minority as a single middle-aged white male. Through my observations while living in a lower income majorly black neighborhood and also a lower income mixed about 30/30/30 black, white, hispanic neighborhood, life has been miserable. The main factor in this is the people living in and around the area. The neighborhoods are badly neglected; trash all over the place. They are also high crime areas. After living in one of the areas for 2 months, my house was robbed, my prescription medication was stolen out of my mailbox, and my car has been vandalized. The behavior of the people around here is unacceptable. I constantly hear people yelling and cussing, occasional fights, VERY LOUD rap music day and night, large groups of people hanging out in the middle of the street being loud and ignorant.... this behavior is exhibited all through the area on the streets and in the stores. The thing is that the majority of these people that I have witnessed all throughout this city have been black.

On the flipside, I also lived in a lower income majorly white part of the city and my experience has been MUCH BETTER. The yards and houses are well kept, much quieter at night time, and safer streets. Not that there isn't any crime in this white neighborhood, but much much less.

I have seen this situation in multiple cities in multiple states. The majorly black neighborhoods have been filled with crime, trash, and ignorance. I have NEVER been in a majorly black neighborhood that is considered a "nice" part of town. Now am I being racist for speaking my mind on my observations or what? Can somebody please explain this phenomenon to me?
That depends. Are you arguing in favor that black people are genetically predisposed to listening to rap music really loud, leaving trash everywhere, etc.? Then, yes, you are racist for making that assertion. If it's the inner city sociological environment you are blaming, then no you are not being racist, just pointing out what you believe is true (which I also believe is true). IMO, a lot of poor inner city blacks have opposition-defiance disorder, where leaving your streets and lawn picked up and orderly is "acting white" and not something to emulate

Old 09-11-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That depends. Are you arguing in favor that black people are genetically predisposed to listening to rap music really loud, leaving trash everywhere, etc.? Then, yes, you are racist for making that assertion. If it's the inner city sociological environment you are blaming, then no you are not being racist, just pointing out what you believe is true (which I also believe is true). IMO, a lot of poor inner city blacks have opposition-defiance disorder, where leaving your streets and lawn picked up and orderly is "acting white" and not something to emulate
Great points. Being poor is not an excuse for acting in that manner.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Don't you think I would if I could? Unfortunately that is not an option for a lot.
You could move into a predominantly poor latin neighborhood in a border state for the same effects. You can also move into an area with a majorly poor white population that has a meth addiction going on.

It has nothing to do with race, and everything with things like culture and education and upbringing and economy.

May I suggest looking for a somewhat religious, conservative community in the South, the upper mid-west (or in some state like Utah)?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
This phenomenon has more to do with things like culture than race (though some culture involves racial inclusion and exclusion).
I would imagine that is the case. I've been to very poor countries where people never the less took pride in keeping their homes and neighborhoods clean and free of crime. I've also been to others where crime was out of control and drug addicts were every where so it seems culture & values matter more than ethnicity in my experience.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:

Is your intent to be racist or are you simply questioning the dynamic of the different neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies