Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:07 PM

13,493 posts, read 9,043,793 times

Advertisements

I think Malta should join the UK. Formally under British rule & independant for 50 years next Sunday, after Malta's gallant efforts during WW2 the nation was awarded the George Cross (Britains highest award) & in the 1950's Malta was actually asked if they would like to join the UK... They declined & instead wanted to go it alone, something that many Maltese have always regretted...

Old 09-12-2014, 02:33 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,116,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I think Malta should join the UK. Formally under British rule & independant for 50 years next Sunday, after Malta's gallant efforts during WW2 the nation was awarded the George Cross (Britains highest award) & in the 1950's Malta was actually asked if they would like to join the UK... They declined & instead wanted to go it alone, something that many Maltese have always regretted...
Actually it was the other way around, Malta asked and was told no.

History of Malta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
A UK integration referendum was held on 11 and 12 February 1956, in which 77.02 per cent of voters were in favour of the proposal,[23] but owing to a boycott by the Nationalist Party and the Church, only 59.1 per cent of the electorate voted, thereby rendering the result inconclusive. There were also concerns expressed by British MPs that the representation of Malta at Westminster would set a precedent for other colonies, and influence the outcome of general elections.[24]
According to the UN Charter a colony has the right to integration with the metropolis, as well as the options of independence and retention of the colonial status provided it has clear support.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:57 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times
Malta join the UK? Another drain on the public purse? We already have Northern Ireland.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:09 PM

13,493 posts, read 9,043,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Actually it was the other way around, Malta asked and was told no.

History of Malta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the UN Charter a colony has the right to integration with the metropolis, as well as the options of independence and retention of the colonial status provided it has clear support.
Well not quite as black & white as that...

Quote:
In addition, the decreasing strategic importance of Malta to the Royal Navy meant that the British government was increasingly reluctant to maintain the naval dockyards. Following a decision by the Admiralty to dismiss 40 workers at the dockyard, Dom Mintoff declared that "representatives of the Maltese people in Parliament declare that they are no longer bound by agreements and obligations toward the British government..." (the 1958 Caravaggio incident). In response, the Colonial Secretary sent a cable to Mintoff, stating that he had "recklessly hazarded" the whole integration plan.

Dom Mintoff resigned as Prime Minister, and Giorgio Borg Olivier declined forming an alternative government. This led to the Islands being placed under direct colonial administration from London, with the MLP abandoning support for integration and now advocating independence. In 1959, an Interim Constitution provided for an Executive Council under British rule.

While France had implemented a similar policy in its colonies, some of which became overseas departments, the status offered to Malta from Britain constituted a unique exception. Malta was the only British colony where integration with the UK was seriously considered, and subsequent British governments have ruled out integration for remaining overseas territories, such as Gibraltar.

In 1961, the Blood Commission provided for a new constitution allowing for a measure of self-government and recognizing the "State" of Malta. Giorgio Borg Olivier became Prime Minister the following year, when the Stolper report was delivered.
Referenda in Malta

So the referendum vote was a 'Yes' but because of the boycott the total of those voting against, abstaining or invalidating and 'non-voters' exceeded the yes vote by almost 10%.
And the Maltese PM at the time basically buggered it all up after the referendum, which led to his resignation causing the British cabinet, (influenced mostly by the Admiralty), to have second thoughts & the British government decided not to abide by the referendum vote...

Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 PM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
I think that the United States and the United Kingdom should become one country, because whenever I go to London it feels like an American city in an alternate universe.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
When hell freezes...
I don't know what to say, except sorry?

It's so cold that now HELL has frozen over: Michigan town falls victim to record cold temperatures | Mail Online

Old 09-12-2014, 07:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,444,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Typical Canuck.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:42 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,867,208 times
No way, Britain would be such a burden. It's just too poor, we already have Mississippi.

Britain Poorer Than Any US State: Yes, Even Mississippi

Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,584,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Leave it up to CNN to put forth more meaningless dribble for the masses LOL

Actually it used to affectionately known as "Clinton News Network" for many years..

I for one, don't think the Scots really have it in them to leave the UK. They'll loathe the day if they do. Besides the real heart, the real power of the UK is merry old England, to hell with the Welsh and Scots!!! "Long live England!!!" " God save the Queen!!!"
Meh, I don't go around saying "God save the Queen" as that's not my thing! But I certainly believe we are all better together... If the Scots leave the union that would mean economic turmoil for both sides of the boarder! Plus Scotland, to me, being slightly Scottish, is part of what makes Britain great - without a Scotland in the union, there would be no Great in Britain! I've course, I suspect there are many Argentinians routing for that?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,584,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
No way, Britain would be such a burden. It's just too poor, we already have Mississippi.

Britain Poorer Than Any US State: Yes, Even Mississippi
Yer, But it basically states on there the Britain has much more equality... So what do you say to that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies