Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:28 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
In my opinion you are deluding yourself....Any and all corporal punishment is abuse....All it teaches the child is that it is ok for the strong to beat the weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And study after study shows that kids who were subjected to corporal punishment are more likely to be bullies and as adults are more likely to commit domestic violence assaults.
So why is it then, that none of these studies appear to be applicable to me or any of the other individuals in this thread who said they have been spanked?

Can I see a link for these studies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
According to him, discipline was the only intention. Why are we quick to assume that this is the result of him working out anger on the child?
Whatever his motivations, there is never any justification for a grown man to beat the crap out of a 4 year old.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Spanking? You call that spanking? Leaving deep open gashes to his legs, back, *******, hands, and arms is nothing more than child abuse. That man is sick if he thinks there was nothing wrong with what he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Just look at the pictures. What he did to a 4 year old is outrageous.
I saw the photos...where are the "deep open gashes"?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:32 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,453 times
Quote:
According to him, discipline was the only intention. Why are we quick to assume that this is the result of him working out anger on the child?
Did you miss the part regarding the bruising and lacerations visible a week after the event? Did you notice a doctor felt the injury warranted abuse? Did you read that he was indicted for child abuse? Beating, yes beating, a four year old in this manner is not correcting behavior. I think the results of Peterson's beating clearly show this was out of anger. The fact that Peterson admitted to administering the beating and texted the mother with "the one on his leg might make you mad" shows he understood it was wrong and severe. To claim this is discipline is frightening. It makes me wonder how many others are out there disciplining their children into emergency waiting rooms.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,453 times
Quote:
So why is it then, that none of these studies appear to be applicable to me or any of the other individuals in this thread who said they have been spanked?

Here is a link to seven articles and journals all referencing the subject:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/par...hit-your-child

Physical punishment tied to aggression, hyperactivity | Reuters

Is Corporal Punishment an Effective Means of Discipline?

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED502020.pdf

Corporal punishment of children - right or wrong?

http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index....ad/14637/14983

Of course a search on your own may be difficult, but there were many more. I simply took the top seven from the first page.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:31 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:

I will grant that there is a difference between a spanking and a beating. What needs to be established is the definition of a spanking. Having said that I would posit that there is an unstated clause in the statements of "I was spanked and turned out all right". That unstated clause would be, "inspite of it". There is no way to go back and replay each time a spanking happened, undo the spanking, and then see the results if a different, nonphysical, punishment was used. The only thing one can do is to use some deep introspection and try to determine just what lessons were taught by the spanking. Was the lesson taught the surface lesson of don't do this again this is unacceptable behavior or was there a deeper unintended lesson being taught? Might makes right or you better do a better job of covering your tracks to avoid a future spanking? Does a spanking help the offender better understand the thinking patterns that led to the offense and help to change those patterns? Does a spanking help instill empathy if the offense was committed against a fellow child? I know these and other questions were some I wrestled with when I became a parent. I still wrestle with them even though my son is now 24 years old. I might add he is an honorably discharged marine and we have a very honest, caring, and open relationship.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I saw the photos...where are the "deep open gashes"?
I was wondering the same thing. AP clearly went overboard with the switch but the people screaming "deep lacerations" and "he beat the crap out of him" are going a little overboard here.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Even the Governor is talking about this...

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton: Vikings 'should suspend' Adrian Peterson - CBSSports.com

Maybe Dayton should worry about his fellow Minnesotans blowing themselves up in Syria and leave the Viking alone.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Lifetime ban. Domestic violence must not be tolerated!
There's a huge difference between tolerating something and banning someone for life over it.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I will grant that there is a difference between a spanking and a beating. What needs to be established is the definition of a spanking. Having said that I would posit that there is an unstated clause in the statements of "I was spanked and turned out all right". That unstated clause would be, "inspite of it". There is no way to go back and replay each time a spanking happened, undo the spanking, and then see the results if a different, nonphysical, punishment was used.
And, using your own logic, that means there is no way to tell if the person would have turned out worse had the spanking not occurred. So you really haven't made a point there.
Quote:
The only thing one can do is to use some deep introspection and try to determine just what lessons were taught by the spanking. Was the lesson taught the surface lesson of don't do this again this is unacceptable behavior or was there a deeper unintended lesson being taught? Might makes right or you better do a better job of covering your tracks to avoid a future spanking? Does a spanking help the offender better understand the thinking patterns that led to the offense and help to change those patterns? Does a spanking help instill empathy if the offense was committed against a fellow child? I know these and other questions were some I wrestled with when I became a parent.
You can ask the very same questions about any sort of punishment. You can substitute "spanking" with "scolding", "grounding", "taking television privileges away", or anything else you want. Your very same reasoning works for any sort of disciplinary action imaginable. What I see is you having a personal distaste for spanking and then adding in rationalizations to make it seem more well considered than it really is - because nothing of what you said actually applies specifically to spanking.
Quote:
I still wrestle with them even though my son is now 24 years old. I might add he is an honorably discharged marine and we have a very honest, caring, and open relationship.
Or maybe he deeply resents you and would have turned out to be a far happier and more well adjusted adult had you made different choices than you did. As you said before, there's no way to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies