Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times

Advertisements

Sorry, much as I wish it would work... this won't.

Obama basically said two things: (1) airstrikes, and (2) giving weapons and money to others in the region to fight on the ground.

Airstrikes alone are insufficient for a force of this size, and in terms of effectiveness, the military's hands will be tied. They will have to conduct these airstrikes in a way to avoid civilian casualties, so they'll avoid a lot of shots. And when civilians will inevitably be killed, anger against the USA will grow and ISIS will have a recruitment field day and our allies in the region will find it hard to be seen as helping the USA. ISIS, knowing this, will hide supplies and troops within the civilian population.

Giving weapons and money to other shady Middle Eastern groups to fight on the ground will be ineffective and backfire. If these people in Iraq and elsewhere were capable of mounting a meaningful resistance, they would have already done so. They are no serious fighting force. The rebels in Syria are fractured and beleaguered from their civil war. The people we will be arming will be highly questionable in terms of their effectiveness and motivations, and the weapons may well end up being used against Americans. It's happened in the past.

The only way this really works is with US and European boots on the ground, or with unrestrained bombing campaigns that result in a lot of collateral civilian deaths. And that will only happen after this gets bad enough and they make some serious strikes against US interests, here or elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 11:59 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
Hmmm, where is your exit strategy? or once boots are on the ground do you embrace the McCain doctrine of baby sitting the region for a 100 years? how is this being paid for or are you just adding more debt?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Like always too many special interest groups to contend with to do anything effective. Much different than Bush I allies standing up to be counted in on his leadership and plan. Truth is we are no better off and deeper in debt and worse off in Iraq than when he came into office; plain and simple. Its called leadership failure. If you read the French ministers comments today ;you will understand even his failure in Syria action taken earlier and why they will not follow blindly trust Obama.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sorry, much as I wish it would work... this won't.
IMO Obama has been dragged kicking and screaming into this, and I wonder why. To make matters worse, we have a president who doesn't believe in projecting military force around the world, so every decision is going to be half-a$$ed. What a mess.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:55 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
IMO Obama has been dragged kicking and screaming into this, and I wonder why. To make matters worse, we have a president who doesn't believe in projecting military force around the world, so every decision is going to be half-a$$ed. What a mess.
You mean as opposed to the "full-assed" decision that got us into this position in the first place?

It's a mess either way. We can keep our noses out of it, ignoring the problem we played no small part in creating. Or we can strike from the air. Or we can put boots on the ground for a while. Or we can put boots on the ground forever.

On the ground forever is not workable. Boots on the ground for a while gets our people killed. Air strikes kill them but not us, but they'll be back about twenty minutes after we stop bombing - the best we can hope for is containment. Or we ignore the problem and let Iraq become a terrorist-run failed state of our very own creation.

There are no good solutions.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:34 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,164 times
Let the middle east tackle this middle east issue.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:37 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You mean as opposed to the "full-assed" decision that got us into this position in the first place?

It's a mess either way. We can keep our noses out of it, ignoring the problem we played no small part in creating. Or we can strike from the air. Or we can put boots on the ground for a while. Or we can put boots on the ground forever.

On the ground forever is not workable. Boots on the ground for a while gets our people killed. Air strikes kill them but not us, but they'll be back about twenty minutes after we stop bombing - the best we can hope for is containment. Or we ignore the problem and let Iraq become a terrorist-run failed state of our very own creation.

There are no good solutions.
The bolded is what I think we should do at this point, please do not ask me what that would look like I am not a military expert. The U S should with drawl all bases and embassies in the region and tell Americans if they stay it is at their own risk. Then let the Shia and ****es fight it out and let the best Muslim group win.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:05 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,303,353 times
Maybe if we just put a sign at our borders, "Jihadists, Do Not Enter", all will be OK.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times
Wow, you guys actually want to send in ground troops again?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I would like to see the locals deal with ISIS. Are they that disorganised over there that the Governments don't have a reliable fighting force to deal with rebels? Of course I never understood how it was OK for some radical idiot with a suicide vest to blow up a market and then it seems that steps are not taken to prevent it from happening again. When those clowns set off those bombs at the Boston Marathon the entire city was on high alert until they were caught.
America should not give arms, money or anything else because as history has shown it goes to waste or the weapons are used against us.
War is a way of life for many in the Middle East and America getting involved once again has disaster written all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies