Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,839,491 times

Advertisements

and this is coming from someone who was initially pro legalization, but was unaware of what was going on in washington.

my mom was there a few weeks ago(sister getting married) and she told me they advertise it constantly on television.

she said my cousins would sit inside the bathroom all day and smoke pot, and that even at the wedding there was an area for them to smoke.

she even took a hit herself(i think the first time in her life) and didn't like it, made her feel sick.

i think in the end this is going to come back and bite us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 AM

45,247 posts, read 26,482,257 times
Freedom to make your own choices is always a good thing. Anyway sounds like your cousins were already pot heads before legalization and your mother made her own choice too. You know at weddings there is typically a place to sit and drink booze and get drunk?
What else would you like banned today mr. John q public?

Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,662,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
and this is coming from someone who was initially pro legalization, but was unaware of what was going on in washington.

my mom was there a few weeks ago(sister getting married) and she told me they advertise it constantly on television.

she said my cousins would sit inside the bathroom all day and smoke pot, and that even at the wedding there was an area for them to smoke.

she even took a hit herself(i think the first time in her life) and didn't like it, made her feel sick.

You are blaming legalization for having a few weed heads in your family?

If weed wasn't legal in Washington your cousins would still get high and your mom would have still tried it because some families like weed.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Lightbulb Marijuana legalization may not be the right thing

I tend to think that if it were legally and commercially available, it would be much less of an issue than it is under the current scheme of things.

The moronic war on drugs is a social and economic failure of epic proportions. After decades of going down this wrong path, it's time for us to wise up and try a new approach. We already have too much of a track record of perpetuating policies that don't work and cost the taxpaying public far too much in the process.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,891,264 times
Default It has been debated

Quote:

It would have to come down to this and all of the studies for and against have been debated. What it really comes down to do you really want to see your family self destruct?

This poster who spoken against, is years beyond his age!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,010,480 times
Quote:

I agree...

Old 09-14-2014, 08:04 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:

Ever count the number of commercials from pharmaceutical companies pushing their drugs on television constantly? Go research the very real dangers posed by prescription drugs, compare that against the non-dangers of marijuana and get back to us.

Quote:
Was there alcohol served at this wedding? Were you upset that people had access to it?

Quote:
Do you believe repealing prohibition "came back to bite us"? As a third generation Italian from Chicago my family has first hand knowledge about the violence and destruction prohibition wrought. The only people who will lament the end of the war on drugs are those who reap billions from incarcerating drug users.

If marijuana should be illegal because your cousins smoke too much, then alcohol should be illegal because some people drink too much, and fatty food should be illegal because some people eat too much. The list could go on and on and on. Why should the majority of us, who are able to moderate our behavior, be prohibited from things because a few cannot?

A little perspective would do you a world of good.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 09-14-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Freedom to make your own choices is always a good thing. Anyway sounds like your cousins were already pot heads before legalization and your mother made her own choice too. You know at weddings there is typically a place to sit and drink booze and get drunk?
What else would you like banned today mr. John q public?
I'm fine with drug legalization as long as I, as a non-user, am not required to pay for the health consequences of those who choose to use.

But that is not currently the case, nor is it likely to be anytime soon.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:09 AM

45,247 posts, read 26,482,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm fine with drug legalization as long as I, as a non-user, am not required to pay for the health consequences of those who choose to use.

But that is not currently the case, nor is it likely to be anytime soon.
Agree, we shouldn't be forced to pay for the consequences someone elses life choices either.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:14 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
"Ever count the number of commercials from pharmaceutical companies pushing their drugs on television constantly? Go research the very real dangers posed by prescription drugs, compare that against the non-dangers of marijuana and get back to us."

As I watch those commercials, my only thought is "If THOSE are the "possible" side effects, I think I would rather put up with the disease or problem! I'm certainly NOT going to take THAT junk!"
Oddly enough, there is evidence, both scientific and anecdotal, that marijuana, properly administered, could be just what the patient needs!
But, grow medicine in your backyard greenhouse? Oh, no, that can't be allowed!

STOP the so-called "war on drugs". It has accomplished nothing but the waste of lives and money. Release anyone who was incarcerated for "Possession". they do not belong in prison or jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies