Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
More uneducated youth is just what we need, leads to groups like ISIS.
Yeah, pot leads to murderous Muslim extremist groups like ISIS...that's an incredible slipperly slope!

Except pot is pretty easy to get for people who want it...and ISIS never showed up in the US.

This is the kind of stupid claim that makes sure the people who don't want it legalized are not taken seriously. Please, keep saying stuff like this so others can use it as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I had no problem with legalization myself. But now I have a curious 15 year old who wants to know what the big deal is now that it's being legalized.
My daughter has been educated and told everyone has choices in life and then told there is a time and a place for everything.
Has she smoked pot... Yes and she even told us about it and her experience with it. It is not something that she enjoys and she has her athletics at school that would end if she was at school doing anything unbecoming of a student athlete.
She asks us if she can have a drink of our margarita's. She hates the taste of beer and if she is going to a party, she lets us know that she may have a drink and what time to come pick her up.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
This is my life, not yours or anyone elses. If I want to smoke pot all day and night, it is my right to choose how to live my own life, not yours. As long as I'm not infringing on your rights with it, stay out of MY life. If I light up around you, to where the smoke is hitting you, then that is your business. That is infringing on your rights. Otherwise it is NOONE's business how I choose to live my life.

All well and good right up to the point where you develop emphysema from years of smoking pot day and night. Then Medicaid covers your treatment which everyone else now has to pay for. And then you decide to quit so you enter rehab, for which the taxpayer also picks up the bill.

As long as we have the welfare state, we will need a nanny state to go with. The two go hand in hand.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:28 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
All well and good right up to the point where you develop emphysema from years of smoking pot day and night. Then Medicaid covers your treatment which everyone else now has to pay for. And then you decide to quit so you enter rehab, for which the taxpayer also picks up the bill.
How about people who eat all day and night?

"The estimated annual health care costs of obesity-related illness are a staggering $190.2 billion or nearly 21% of annual medical spending in the United States. Childhood obesity alone is responsible for $14 billion in direct medical costs."

Economic Costs of Obesity | Healthy Communities for a Healthy Future

There is little doubt that society also picks up the tab for many of the health issues that result from obesity. Would you support the government prohibiting all fast food restaurants/bakeries/confectioners, etc., because the food they serve is unhealthy and leads to increased medical costs because some people have no self-control?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds
More uneducated youth is just what we need, leads to groups like ISIS.
Yeah, pot leads to murderous Muslim extremist groups like ISIS...that's an incredible slipperly slope!

Except pot is pretty easy to get for people who want it...and ISIS never showed up in the US.
Reading is fundamental: "groups like ISIS" does not mean ISIS, it means a group that has something in common w/ ISIS. I'm pretty sure she was referring to the mindless follower mentality, whether ISIS, Jim Jones's People's Temple, Occupy Wall Street etc.

Insofar as marijuana reduces the capacity to think, it increases the risk of falling for charlatanism. Having lived thru the 60's and 70's hippie era, I can attest that many such groups--TM, Scientology, People's Temple, Hare Krishna, etc--were always lousy with ex-druggies trying to find a new path in life.

3~Shepherds was spot on, and in fact makes an excellent point that I hadn't thought of before.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
How about people who eat all day and night?

"The estimated annual health care costs of obesity-related illness are a staggering $190.2 billion or nearly 21% of annual medical spending in the United States. Childhood obesity alone is responsible for $14 billion in direct medical costs."

Economic Costs of Obesity | Healthy Communities for a Healthy Future

There is little doubt that society also picks up the tab for many of the health issues that result from obesity. Would you support the government prohibiting all fast food restaurants/bakeries/confectioners, etc., because the food they serve is unhealthy and leads to increased medical costs because some people have no self-control?
Obviously the same principle applies to any unhealthy behavior, whether it is overeating, smoking, lack of exercise, drinking, smoking pot, or engaging in unprotected anal sex, or playing NFL football.

As long as we have the vast welfare state, we will need an equally vast nanny state. In fact I think it's almost inevitable. Eventually the bureaucracy will realize that all those dollars going to treat people for various behavior-derived health problems are dollars that could be going into the pockets of bureaucrats. That was what happened w/ tobacco, and it will happen with a range of other behaviors.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
People often get drunk at weddings, then they get into their cars with predictably tragic results.

Georgia groom charged with killing wife in drunken crash hours after wedding

You don't ever see anything like this happening with pot.

"Two new University of Colorado studies paint an ominous picture of the direction of the state since marijuana commercialization, but neither provides conclusive evidence that legal pot is causing harm.

One study shows more drivers involved in fatal car accidents in Colorado are testing positive for marijuana — and that Colorado has a higher percentage of such drivers testing positive for pot than other states even when controlled for several variables. But the data the researchers use does not reveal whether those drivers were impaired at the time of the crash or whether they were at fault."

Too soon to tell but the research is not looking too good.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Legalization is not meant for teenagers, yet this is where is going. More uneducated youth is just what we need, leads to groups like ISIS.

Occupy was a lot like ISIS....

Old 09-14-2014, 11:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
and this is coming from someone who was initially pro legalization, but was unaware of what was going on in washington.

my mom was there a few weeks ago(sister getting married) and she told me they advertise it constantly on television.

she said my cousins would sit inside the bathroom all day and smoke pot, and that even at the wedding there was an area for them to smoke.

she even took a hit herself(i think the first time in her life) and didn't like it, made her feel sick.

i think in the end this is going to come back and bite us.
Hows that different from sneaking a flask into a wedding?

Punishing responsible smokers for irresponsible ones would be like outlawing alcohol for all, when one guy kills someone drunk in a car.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Again, this is only true if you as a non-user are not required to pay for the health consequences of those who choose to use. This is not currently the case, and is unlikely to be the case anytime soon.
Creating more initiations of force by government is not a solution to other initiations of force by government. That I "have" to pay for other's health costs is just as immoral as drugs being illegal. Two wrongs do not make a right. It's like saying, well because the government is oppressing me, I would like to see others oppressed. It is a vicious downward spiral into complete tyranny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies