Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

Community Keeps Calm Despite Questions About Wal-Mart Shooting : NPR

What we know: a 22 year old Black Man, John Crawford was shopping at Wal Mart in suburban Dayton Ohio. A person called 911 saying a Black man was in the store pointing a gun at people. Police showed up and confronted Crawford telling him to set down the BB gun, he refused (maybe he said "chill, it's a freaking BB gun") and was shot multiple times and mortally wounded.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Community Keeps Calm Despite Questions About Wal-Mart Shooting : NPR

What we know: a 22 year old Black Man, John Crawford was shopping at Wal Mart in suburban Dayton Ohio. A person called 911 saying a Black man was in the store pointing a gun at people. Police showed up and confronted Crawford telling him to set down the BB gun, he refused (maybe he said "chill, it's a freaking BB gun") and was shot multiple times and mortally wounded.
Crazy man pointing a bb gun at innocent people.

Was asking to be shot to death by the cops.

Darwin award winner.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:09 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
This sounds like a case of police murder.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
What's his being black have anything to do with anything? Would the outcome had been different had he been green?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Darwin award winner.
Actually the latest report I heard this morning says the 911 caller recanted his statement to operators that the "man was pointing and threatening shoppers with the gun".

from the quoted NPR article-
Quote:
At issue is the testimony of Ronald Ritchie, who called 911.
In an interview with the U.K. newspaper The Guardian, Ritchie says DeWine's office showed him the video of Crawford's killing, and he recants his claim during the 911 call and to reporters after the incident that Crawford was threatening other customers.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Darwin award winner.
Maybe he was buying a BB gun. I've bought them before. I admit you must be careful in a city caring anything that looks like gun. When I take my bb gun out of my apartment I carry it in a bag to conceal it. But this sounds like extreme reaction by the police. The video and witnesses will reveal the truth. We can only speculate.

Also, it's alleged that he pointed the gun at people. The 911 caller later recanted that claim per the NPR story.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:16 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What's his being black have anything to do with anything? Would the outcome had been different had he been green?
if he was green he wold have been tased and flown to Area 51.

WTF

Old 09-16-2014, 02:17 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
This sounds like a case of police murder.

You mean "suicide by cop," right?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
This doesn't make sense. Did the guy take the gun out of the packaging? Any time I have seen BB guns at Walmart they are in boxes. How could the cops not see the box?
Who dialed 911 ? I blame them for panicking, maybe that person is the racist who saw a black man with a "gun".

Why wouldn't the cops give him a chance to put the box down?
It is a real shame that a 37 year old woman died from the panic.

Questions need ot be answered over this one well before sharpton and jackson get down there to stir up the racism hate pot.

The trouble is Fear breeds Fear and compromises peoples intelligence.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Maybe he was buying a BB gun. I've bought them before. I admit you must be careful in a city caring anything that looks like gun. When I take my bb gun out of my apartment I carry it in a bag to conceal it. But this sounds like extreme reaction by the police. The video and witnesses will reveal the truth. We can only speculate.

Also, it's alleged that he pointed the gun at people. The 911 caller later recanted that claim per the NPR story.
Well...

If someone wants to buy a BB gun, the gun should be handled by the STAFF of the store and taken to a REGISTER for him to purchase at the end of his shopping trip.

Shouldn't be allowed to play James Bond in the aisles of Walmart flashing a gun at people.

In my opinion, cops actions were justified, the guy was walking around the store with it in the open flashing it around. If he wasn't giving people a reason to feel threatened, he would be alive today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies