Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:20 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times

Advertisements

Two thoughts...and i am no fan of police behavior, on balance, but....

When a cop looks at you, points his cannon at you, and tells you to drop your weapon, you probably want to do so. I am (dangerously) assuming that police gave the man sufficient opportunity to put the weapon down.

But, why do we have these officers armed with spray and Taser guns, and yet they seem to pull out the big stuff right away when there is a problem?

Why not just taze the guy, remove the weapon, and move along?

I guess I don't get the shooting protocol which police feel is warranted.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,524,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You mean "suicide by cop," right?
No, in this case, it's sounds like the cops screwed up and killed, with malice aforethought, an innocent man. That's first degree murder.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,464,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Well...

If someone wants to buy a BB gun, the gun should be handled by the STAFF of the store and taken to a REGISTER for him to purchase at the end of his shopping trip.

Shouldn't be allowed to play James Bond in the aisles of Walmart flashing a gun at people.

In my opinion, cops actions were justified, the guy was walking around the store with it in the open flashing it around. If he wasn't giving people a reason to feel threatened, he would be alive today.
Except the person who said that has stated he made it up, and recanted his story.

Did you miss the article and the other posters pointing that out?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,680,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

When a cop looks at you, points his cannon at you, and tells you to drop your weapon, you probably want to do so. I am (dangerously) assuming that police gave the man sufficient opportunity to put the weapon down.

But, why do we have these officers armed with spray and Taser guns, and yet they seem to pull out the big stuff right away when there is a problem?

Current training says use max. force and don't worry about the consequences it can all be justified by fear.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Clue: when a police officer says drop the gun, do not argue, do not wave it around, do not point it at anyone, Drop the Darn Thing or the next sound you hear will be "Welcome to the Pearly Gates". This is neither New News or Rocket Science, law enforcement has a low tolerance for those with weapons in their hands, they have a public to defend and they have themselves to defend, obey their orders and live to bi*ch about it later, or don't and your time here has run out. Real Simply Folks.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:42 PM

23,582 posts, read 17,262,317 times
NJ for instance make no legal difference between a BB gun and a center fire rifle.

Death by cop scenario.

what did the BB gun look like? a red ryder lever action or a submachine gun?

modern day bb/177 cal guns can equal the muzzle vel of a 22 short... quite deadly.

Details will tell the story.....

Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
NJ for instance make no legal difference between a BB gun and a center fire rifle.

Death by cop scenario.

what did the BB gun look like? a red ryder lever action or a submachine gun?

modern day bb/177 cal guns can equal the muzzle vel of a 22 short... quite deadly.

Details will tell the story.....
I've got a bb gun that looks exactly like a .45 acp and I treat it as such knowing it looks, well, exactly like a real handgun. Waving one around in public will get you shot real fast.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,045,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

You watch too much TV. Maybe the cops should have shot the gun out of his hand like they do in the movies?

Sorry....the cops want to go home to their families after work.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,045,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
No, in this case, it's sounds like the cops screwed up and killed, with malice aforethought, an innocent man. That's first degree murder.
Point a gun at a cop, you're going to lose. The cop isn't going to wait to find out if it's a BB gun or not (plus, that could put an eye out).

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,524,433 times
As a retired LAPD police officer, I think I know about the changes in law enforcement technique over the past 20-30 years. Most of us know the difference between a modern BB gun and a real firearm.

That's not what they sell at walmart. It's a disingenuous image pulled from A MEXICAN WEBSITE: http://co2airgunsmexico.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies