Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Surprised the media guys didn't raise the red flag when they heard the term 'Advisor'.

When I first heard obama use that term, my head spun. does not anyone inn the media or journalism realize that was the green flag to the troop buid up in VN?

Each week more advisors would be sent to make up for the advisors killed. Proves history is a lost cause when Obama felt no one would catch on when they heard 'advisors' vs troops were being sent? Guess not.

So now we have boots in the air vs boots on the ground and there is a difference? especially to the 'boots'?

What a circle jerk Obama is running.

Then to hear Kerry today was to realize what a waste of space that blowhard is. He spews random nonsense to eat up time and never answers any questions. He is as unqualified as Obama for the position he is in. Kerry is a sad caricture of a cartoonish career politician acting in a human tragedy stage play.

It was Kerry a while back that said the biggest threat to our safety was human caused global warming.
Did ISIS replace Kerry's biggest fear and cause of our mass destruction, human caused global warming???
Hope someone asks him that question.....but they'd have to wait an hour while for JK to circle around in the bushes before giving no answer.
There is very little chance of danger to the pilots in the region. If we do have to get involved, and I don't believe we do mind you, I'd much rather it be an air campaign then a ground invasion.

I believe its none of our business and we need to let them sort their own problems out. It is impossible to protect a people who are unwilling to protect themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Not at all. For Vietnam we weren't given a choice we were just drafted and after 4 to 5 months training it was off we went for a year!

Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Memphis makes a good point though that the Vietnamization of our involvement in the Middle East goes way, way back. He says '48...I say '53 when we overthrew Mossadegh in Iran. The implications of that action has thrown the Middle East in tumult that we could've never imagined when we did it. The implications over these decades is astounding.
Neither Memphis nor you is making any good points. The parallels between Vietnam and the Middle East are minimal at best.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Neither Memphis nor you is making any good points. The parallels between Vietnam and the Middle East are minimal at best.
Yeah. Uh huh.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You fail to substantiate your claim.

The middle east is the very definition of quagmire.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I wonder which contractor will make a trillion dollars on THIS one or if it will be the same ones.
Obama uses pretty much the same contractors that Bush did ..... there is a good reason for that.
The Media never, never mentions it of course.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It could also be said, "if we don't stop this threat, then you will have to pay 5 dollars a gallon for milk, instead of 4 dollars a gallon"

And people would still be willing to sacrifice other peoples children, simply for that aspect. All in the name of "patriotism"
Unfortunately you are most likely right...as long as it wasn't THEIR kid though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Most of us have a problem with a trillion dollars being striped collectively from the paychecks of american workers. The question is why don't you?
And Frank knocks it out of the park...that's a question I wonder about myself..all of these big biz suck ups thing the money grows on tree and are to stupid to get the picture where that money comes from
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We care when they're furtively controlling people that make big decisions on whether or not to go to war.

This "defense contractor" moniker is politically correct anyway. There was a time when they were called War Profiteers...And that name is quite appropriate.

And this is coming from a defense contractor.
+1

Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The entire middle east is Vietnam 2.0

We are only there to stabilize world oil prices, because our economy depends on it. Of course, if the President said "We have to make sure our petroleum based economy is secure by making the dictators of the region with 25% of the worlds oil reserves stable and in place." That wouldn't fly well. But beheading Americans and saying they threaten our country does play well.

I understand the need to try and stabilize the middle east. I have repeatedly and often asked that many who support our oil dependency to back energy independence at home. This will include oil, for sure, but we need to lower the percentage of our nations economy that is based on that petroleum. We need to use coal, gas, and yes, solar, wind, and nuclear, and any other damned energy supply we can conjure up within the borders of these United States.

That way the citizens of the middle eastern countries can run around cutting each others heads off, and we won't suffer for it at home. Fuel prices, food prices, clothing prices, almost everything you buy is based on the price of oil in the world. The more we take that power away from the middle east and those nuts over there, the better.
Excellent, excellent post.

But I don't know about stabilizing the ME. Just like Vietnam, once we leave, it reverts.
We should have known better before ever going into Afghanistan or Iraq, now Syria.
Unless Americans want perpetual war, we need out of the region, and be independent
for our energy. And yes, that does include Coal, whether folks want to hear that or not.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:01 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Only to Conservatives

I guess Conservatives don't realize how ludicrous they sound, continually attacking every move this great President makes, when they have no record of success. No, this is not Vietnam. How absurd.

I thought the President was very clear. We are not committing our troops to another Republican-style war, where we think we can change someone else's ideology simply by a "shock and awe" display of military might. This is Neanderthal diplomacy, Republican-style. This effort requires many facets, and includes a coalition of nations. Military personnel may exist to facilitate this smarter, more sophisticated mission, but they are not there to "lead a charge".

References to "Vietnam 2.0" is just more deceptive marketing, more fear-mongering, more nonsense spinning, which continues to prove that Republicans are clueless and don't viable solutions.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
simply by a "shock and awe" display of military might.
Shock and awe is not some catch phrase, it's a military strategy which evolved because of the Vietnam war. Overwhelming force, you fight to win instead of fighting not to lose. The fact of the matter is trying to piecemeal a war is a setup for failure. Either do it or don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies