Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
One, the nation isn't bankrupt. It is corrupt as hell, but not bankrupt. Two, our parents did this to the nation. Ronald Reagan.. the worst thing to happen to America.

The parents' generation created the problem. They shouldn't ***** about it.
Another rant about baby boomers? Without any specific actions to truly blame on boomers.....

Be specific instead of simply blaming millions of people that are not a homogeneous group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
Just remember, these young skulls full of mush are what the public education system is turning out these days. It's no wonder they know so little about so much.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Well... this millennial is 20, has $22000 in savings, investment, and cash, goes to a university for $2000 a semester (parent's pay the other $2000 and $1500 in scholarship) and lives at home. Things wouldn't be like this for me if I didn't live at home. After college, I should be set to move out.

But you know that whole saving early thing we heard? Staying at home = saving early.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:54 PM

I think you're being smart, Phil. It's the ones complaining how it's everyone else's fault they have to live at home that aren't so smart.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Just remember, these young skulls full of mush are what the public education system is turning out these days. It's no wonder they know so little about so much.
See Phil P's post. Doesn't sound to me like a young skull full of mush.

There are a lot of bright Millennials. Mine is still at home, has his college paid for,
and runs his own business. And, I love him

I think that "kick them out when they are 18" scenario was very flawed.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Uh, read my post above yours.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:12 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
See Phil P's post. Doesn't sound to me like a young skull full of mush.

There are a lot of bright Millennials. Mine is still at home, has his college paid for,
and runs his own business. And, I love him

I think that "kick them out when they are 18" scenario was very flawed.
Or at least very economical. Unless they join the military.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It depends. There are some nerdy people who can't get jobs now. Times are hard, even for the college educated. Nowadays, it isn't even enough. The saying "it's who you know" is becoming more important, now more than ever.
We are hiring. Except like I saw at all my kids math competitions 70% of the top 10 are indian, chinese or pakistani. Soooooooo, the outlook looks a whole lot more bleak depending on what social circles you run in.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw an American kid (regardless of race) put 20+ hours a week into sprots? Probably all the time.

When was the last time you saw one of the new immigrants or otherwise driven US kids put int 20+ hours a week in math, science and so forth?

But don't worry we have lots of complaints that Google having too many asians is racist while I pull up an NFL game and see half the field black.

I guess the NFL is just raicst and needs sactions and reforms eh?b

P,.S. The whole racist discussion is getting to the point in this country that if the Jamaican Bobsled team had instead been out of Florida....that their failure to do well against white nordic teams would be classified as a "disparate impact" and thus racism. SIgh.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
It's the ones complaining how it's everyone else's fault they have to live at home that aren't so smart.
I'm sure these are the same folks camping out for their new iPhone.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We are hiring. Except like I saw at all my kids math competitions 70% of the top 10 are indian, chinese or pakistani. Soooooooo, the outlook looks a whole lot more bleak depending on what social circles you run in.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw an American kid (regardless of race) put 20+ hours a week into sprots? Probably all the time.

When was the last time you saw one of the new immigrants or otherwise driven US kids put int 20+ hours a week in math, science and so forth?

But don't worry we have lots of complaints that Google having too many asians is racist while I pull up an NFL game and see half the field black.

I guess the NFL is just raicst and needs sactions and reforms eh?b

P,.S. The whole racist discussion is getting to the point in this country that if the Jamaican Bobsled team had instead been out of Florida....that their failure to do well against white nordic teams would be classified as a "disparate impact" and thus racism. SIgh.
It doesn't help that every little Johnny playing high school football is going to be the next star in the NFL or so their parents think, but not too many parents say " My little Johnny is going to be a financial adviser or the next CEO of Microsoft".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies