Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,593 posts, read 16,568,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I can't imagine being single and on the dating scene and telling my date that I am a college graduate living at home.

I suppose when critical mass is reached, everyone will be living at home so both people on the date will have no reason to be concerned about the other living at home still.

But, men, let's be clear. You will be outmoded by someone who is not living at home if a woman is given the opportunity to weigh two otherwise equivalent men/personalities against each other. If you think starting off living in the basement is the threshold a woman really and truly is comfortable with, you are sorely mistaken and have a lot to learn!
If a women only judges you by where you live, then that women is only looking for status, and isnt worth perusing.

just 1 comment ago, you were saying millennial where foolish for wanting to drive BMW's as graduation presents, now you think people should buy houses they cant afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
Apparently skyrocketing debt accumulated to obtain degrees that the market just isn't demanding in a prolonged, weak job market is just not a good combination.

An entire generation of people has to put off major life decisions until things improve. Inflation adjusted net worth per household is off 30% from what it was 12 years ago (much of this due to stagnant housing market), and student loan debt is climbing to catastrophically high levels.

Could this be the lost decade for the United States?

I suspect that the lack of upward mobility in this sorry economy is why these minimum wage arguments are gaining traction in at least a few areas.
84% of the people living at home under 35 don't have a degree, so I don't see how student debt can be a factor for the overwhelming majority of them.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
I am no fan of the millennials, bit I don't see anything wrong with this.

In fact, bucking the stupid notion that you should eschew savvy financial strategy in order to seem more "adult" in the eyes of a bunch of morons who don't even realize that this is how most of the world operates...THAT may be one of this generation's biggest breakthroughs.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If a women only judges you by where you live, then that women is only looking for status, and isnt worth perusing.

just 1 comment ago, you were saying millennial where foolish for wanting to drive BMW's as graduation presents, now you think people should buy houses they cant afford.
This is why I rarely engage you in conversation anymore. You take my comments and misconstrue them into something that I did not say or even remotely imply.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am no fan of the millennials, bit I don't see anything wrong with this.

In fact, bucking the stupid notion that you should eschew savvy financial strategy in order to seem more "adult" in the eyes of a bunch of morons who don't even realize that this is how most of the world operates...THAT may be one of this generation's biggest breakthroughs.
It's not bucking a trend....it's done out of necessity in most cases. Bucking a trend would be someone who can afford to buy a house...afford high rents....afford to pay student loans...and still choosing to live at home to save money.

Doing it out of necessity is someone who can't do any of that and is forced to live at home.

I believe the latter is likely the driving factor of today's boomerang generation, unfortunately.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:

But, men, let's be clear. You will be outmoded by someone who is not living at home if a woman is given the opportunity to weigh two otherwise equivalent men/personalities against each other. If you think starting off living in the basement is the threshold a woman really and truly is comfortable with, you are sorely mistaken and have a lot to learn!
This generation doesn't even want to get married, so what's your point. I almost feel sorry for the girls out there these days that want to get married. The pickings are slim. This generation is so up on divorce and being used by both parties, they are not naive when it comes to relationships at all. Quite the contrary. They seem to take their relationships very casually. Once gone, another tomorrow. I think social media has a lot to do with that too. Lot of fish in that there murky water

Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,593 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:
This is why I rarely engage you in conversation anymore. You take my comments and misconstrue them into something that I did not say or even remotely imply.

Quote:
be outmoded by someone who is not living at home if a woman is given the opportunity to weigh two otherwise equivalent men/personalities against each other. If you think starting off living in the basement is the threshold a woman really and truly is comfortable with, you are sorely mistaken and have a lot to learn!
Quote:
No, they want a job that pays $75K for a degree that everyone and their brother has, want their student loans forgiven, expect to have fat savings account and a $100K in a 401K by the time they're 30, drive a BMW 3 series as their personal graduation present, and wouldn't dare step foot into a JC Penney.
How am I misconstruing you by quoting you ????

this is the i didnt say it, but i said it argument.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:36 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,572,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
This generation doesn't even want to get married, so what's your point. I almost feel sorry for the girls out there these days that want to get married. The pickings are slim. This generation is so up on divorce and being used by both parties, they are not naive when it comes to relationships at all. Quite the contrary. They seem to take their relationships very casually. Once gone, another tomorrow. I think social media has a lot to do with that too. Lot of fish in that there murky water
I don't know about that. My nephew who is 25 I think?, is getting married next weekend. His fiancee is great but truthfully, I think 25 is way young to get married. My 25 year old niece has been w/her boyfriend since high school. My 20 year old nephew has been dating his girlfriend for maybe a year? The others are either too young or just got out of a relationship. Maybe it's just my extended family but the 20-somethings aren't treating their relationships casually.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:04 PM

680 posts, read 1,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Do you believe that we can pay off our debt?
Also not the same as bankruptcy.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:08 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
And people wondered why our generation "Occupied"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies