Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,833,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
My question to you is why do you need to regulate a private system when we'll have a public system for all.
Because the government cannot run something more complicated than tic tac toe without screwing it up.

I'll take greed over incompetence every day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
My question to you is why do you need to regulate a private system when we'll have a public system for all.
You're being contradictory. You brought up private insurers and recommend they have less regulation. If they're going to be in the picture, they need to be regulated. Otherwise, they'll be selling a pig in a poke.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,213,755 times
Quote:
Which will be done via a single payer system, and not an NHS. The main reason is as follows: pragmatism and well, crap, we already have one in this country anyway, Medicare.

Is the current system a disaster? Yes. Will a single payer system be a disaster? Probably not, but it won't be a "good" system. Probably very average.

I came to this conclusion upon thinking about how much of a burden providing health insurance must be for businesses. Even pre-ACA, it's like a $5,000/year tab for a healthy employee. Also, I think compassion has entered the equation as well. And finally, people being bankrupt from medical bills essentially takes that person out of the economy for life.

I just don't see why we can't have it in this country.

THAT said, I have a message to the left: In this country, a public health care system WILL NOT work without having a ROBUST and THRIVING private health insurance and health care system with which millions of Americans with the means can be taken off the dole and not even use the public system. This will be vital. We do not have resources for 330 million unhealthy people to be on a public system.

So the left needs to do the following:
  • You need to completely and totally repeal the affordable care act in its entirety.
  • You need to roll back private health insurance regulation to the level of auto insurance.
We need to provide ample incentives for companies to provide private health insurance for their people as a benefit. If the bottom line just doesn't work, particularly for minimum wage workers at restaurants, then they just use Medicare.

The ultimate goal here is to prevent people from going into financial ruin due to circumstances they did not choose. We can also reduce the burden on businesses.

While I'm usually wary of government involvement, but simply put, I've concluded that healthcare exists outside of free market forces. It's one of those things that everyone will need at some point

Am I becoming a Democrat? Absolutely not. But I have a long road ahead of me to convince the right-wing in this country.

actually in a way, I am also for UHC. it is just that I think UHC will bring the USA to bankruptcy sooner than later. all these social plans and programs will bring about the demise of the federal government, and when that happens, limited government will become a religious subject.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
actually in a way, I am also for UHC. it is just that I think UHC will bring the USA to bankruptcy sooner than later. all these social plans and programs will bring about the demise of the federal government, and when that happens, limited government will become a religious subject.
Government can't be "limited". It's like saying you're a little bit pregnant.

People need to take personal responsibility and form small voluntary associations freed from force/regulation. The government exists for one purpose: to initiate force.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Government can't be "limited". It's like saying you're a little bit pregnant.

People need to take personal responsibility and form small voluntary associations freed from force/regulation. The government exists for one purpose: to initiate force.

yes it can be limited. I can get rid of 90% of government in the 1st day in office as potus.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes it can be limited. I can get rid of 90% of government in the 1st day in office as potus.
Lol.

I see your force...and raise you my force.

Any association not of free will is tyranny. Even if you "cut 90%" that only means the 10% that remains will have to exert more influence (force) for the government to do its bidding.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:07 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Lol.

I see your force...and raise you my force.

Any association not of free will is tyranny. Even if you "cut 90%" that only means the 10% that remains will have to exert more influence (force) for the government to do its bidding.
You have free will.

Expedia Travel: Vacations, Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets & Airfares

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...somalia+flight

Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 AM

Love it or leave it???

Really?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:14 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,598,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Well you do know, those "Private" insurance companies wrote the ACA.
They can AFFORD to jack up your rates because the new law says they can
Crony capitalism is another reason to disentangle government from our lives as much as possible.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:22 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,598,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Where the hell do you live? The average increase is 7%, with most states having a premium decrease as the lowest rate change.
VA. When I lived in NY the rates were very high, because like the ACA insurers couldn't prohibit or charge more for pre-existing conditions. California was the same way and also had very expensive insurance.

When I moved to VA I got vastly superior coverage for much less.

We were paying $1,154/month in NY for not very good coverage, but $699/month for the best insurance I've ever had when we moved here in December of 2010.

Now that all plans here must cover everyone regardless of health/gender/weight, the price has gone up.

A lot.

We were paying $699/in 2010, and it's been going up steadily and now under the full ACA they want that 26% increase on top of all the over double digit increases I've had since 2010.

We're at $1,401 per month right now.

Prior to 2010 and the ACA it's my understanding health care plans in VA increased at about 2%-5% a year.

Plus they're cutting coverage (higher deductible, higher co-pays), so I get to pay more for less.

Thank you for "helping" me government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies