Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 03:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,890,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
They go to the DVM and get one.
They go to the DPS (Department of Public Safety) and get one.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If the document she is submitting for a name change is a marriage license based on a same-sex marriage, it does.

If she had another type of document with the legal name change, you'd be right.
She had THE documentation that the State of California issues for such a thing.

She also had the fruits of her legal name change - a California driver's license with her new legal name on it, her Social Security card with her new legal name on it, her tax returns filed under her new legal name, etc, etc, etc.

Were I the governor of California, I'd issue a statement that as a matter of reciprocation, California no longer will recognize official change of name documentation from the State of Texas, and that if Texans moving to California who have in the past changed their last names want driver's licenses, they have to petition the California courts for permission.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
She had THE documentation that the State of California issues for such a thing.

She also had the fruits of her legal name change - a California driver's license with her new legal name on it, her Social Security card with her new name on it, her tax returns filed under her new legal name, etc, etc, etc.

Were I the governor of California, I'd issue a statement that as a matter of reciprocation, California no longer will recognize official change of name documentation from the State of Texas, and that if Texans moving to California who have in the past changed their last names want driver's licenses, they have to petition the California courts for permission.
And would you do that for the other 31 states that also don't recognize same sex marriage ?

Sorry but the majority of states do not recognize same sex marriage and most do not grant same sex divorce.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, she can sue, and should. What part of "Texas law does not matter" are you unable to comprehend? The US Constitution supersedes State laws, even federal laws.

Marriage is a public act, and all public acts by one State must be recognized by every other State. Texas has absolutely no choice in the matter as long as they are part of the Union. Now if Texas secedes from the Union, they can do whatever they want. But as long as they are part of the United States of America, they will abide by the US Constitution or pay the consequences.
There is no section of the US Constitition which says that states must recognize out of state marriages.

States will USUALLY recognize out of state marriages, like common law marriages but they dont have to..

Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
That also violates the Full Faith & Credit Clause of the US Constitution, for the exact same reason. When a State issues a driver's license, marriage certificate, or concealed carry permit, or any other legal public document, they are public acts. All public acts that are legal in one State must be recognized by every other State even if other States have laws against them, without exception.
Well obviously many states don't follow that law that you speak of.
You might want to contact the AG in all these states.
Also let Holder know about the law you speak of so he can use his fist of justice on them.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And would you do that for the other 31 states that also don't recognize same sex marriage ?

Sorry but the majority of states do not recognize same sex marriage and most do not grant same sex divorce.
I know of no other instances where a state has refused to recognize a legal change of name issued by another state. Do you?

Old 09-21-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I know of no other instances where a state has refused to recognize a legal change of name issued by another state. Do you?
Oh they recognize a legal change of name if you provide valid legal documents.

Oh..and Florida 2012 and Nebraska 2014 are 2 other examples that show up in google.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
That also violates the Full Faith & Credit Clause of the US Constitution, for the exact same reason. When a State issues a driver's license, marriage certificate, or concealed carry permit, or any other legal public document, they are public acts. All public acts that are legal in one State must be recognized by every other State even if other States have laws against them, without exception.
That is complete bull ****.

For example, when state A issues a concealed carry permit, other states do not have to recognize it..

For example, only 7 states recognize Alabamas concealed carry permits
Which 7 states recognize Alabama's concealed-carry permits with stipulations? | AL.com

Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh they recognize a legal change of name if you provide valid legal documents.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I just posted 2 examples..Florida 2012 and Nebraska 2014.
Try google and you'll get examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies