Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 PM

33,632 posts, read 37,288,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
..and the list is growing.

Either we are experiencing catastrophic man-made global warming from CO2, or we are not. Currently we see ZERO global warming this entire century, so there is zero global warming, much less any catastrophic man-made global warming. Unless you are going to claim there is CAGW happening all the past 17 or so years, but it's has been canceled out by catastrophic global cooling.
Zero you say? Good grief....You take the prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 04:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,992,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I'm sure the CAGW crowd is working feverishly to prove CO2 can alter wind and ocean currents.
That would consist of merely insisting it does.

If they say it does, then that proves it does. You know, leftist "science".

Old 09-24-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Because not only are you completely out of your depth, you're also uninterested in weighing evidence and are mostly just latching onto whatever feeds into your outrage or gives you an opportunity to mock 'liberals'. This entire board is about choosing a side and then trying to make the other side feel stupid, usually by making yourself look stupid without even realizing it.
Do you know what the "appeal to authority" fallacy is?

Quote:
What's really frustrating is when you claim that 'seeing through the lies' of AGW is so easy that anyone who doesn't agree, including the scientists with PhDs who are running departments at universities and who are undoubtedly more articulate, more insightful, more experienced and more qualified to discuss the issue than anyone on this board... are somehow morons who can't see the truth.
Do you know what the "appeal to authority" fallacy is?

Quote:
I have to admit, knowing that there are people like you out there and that you might one day gain power is about 200 times scarier to me than AGW, because I suspect that deep down inside you're actually fascists.
Because you write that you imagine someone else is so deeply and completely invisibly a fascist - even though there is NO visible evidence, from anything they say or argue and it is completely contrary to everything they they are - it must absolutely be true, right? I mean, if you can imagine it, it has to be fact... You know, like AGW (which has no scientific support) is fact.

I'm sorry, I know people with PHD's, a number of them. Not one of them has any claim to be smarter than I. Sorry. I do not bow to someone with a PHD. I do not surrender my thinking to ANYONE. Why should I? I have matched wits with the best - I have READ what those people say, and they simply ARE NOT of any superior intelligence. The smartest people I have ever met, when put into a room, would rather fairly represent the education demographic - meaning only a very few have higher degrees.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Whenever a skeptical scientist pops up, they are immediately cast as sellouts to big oil money.
This basically illustrates that science has become influenced by greed and money except that, according to the warmists, it's only the SKEPTICAL scientists who sell out for money!
Of course. Muddy the water, obscure the science, then try to be the loudest shouter. That's the liberal way.

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've been told that you MUST simply accept what those "brilliant scientists" tell you.

I also cannot tell you how many times they've been wrong. Not that SOME of them are wrong, but ALL of them have been wrong. And, anytime someone says that some complex issue (of which is known only a minute fraction of its workings) is "settled", they are just flat out lying. No possible way to sugar coat that it is a naked lie, not even something one can be "mistaken" about.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:18 PM

7,799 posts, read 4,421,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, so what? The fact of the matter is still, AGW has been exposed as a complete hoax. Those who still promote the idea as "settled science" (science is never settled) are utter frauds.

Honestly, I never take anyone seriously who call AGW a "hoax." I take those more seriously who may contest the science, as overwhelming as it is, but to call something a "hoax" that is supported by a vast majority of scientist is just plain juvenile and vacuous.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,293,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I saw a little blurb today that someone is trying to blame AGW for the Ebola outbreak.

You just can't make it up.
That's pretty strange. Not as strange of the reams of bits dedicated to the right's unsubstantiated claims of fraud, though.

About your claim regarding evidence of God's existence. Are you going to pony up, run away, or admit you were speaking nonsense?

Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Honestly, I never take anyone seriously who call AGW a "hoax." I take those more seriously who may contest the science, as overwhelming as it is, but to call something a "hoax" that is supported by a vast majority of scientist is just plain juvenile and vacuous.
There is no "overwhelming" anything about 'global warming'.

The theory is very tenuous, an the "evidence" is so scant as to be little more than carefully selected bits of background noise.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:25 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,293,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Of course. Muddy the water, obscure the science, then try to be the loudest shouter. That's the liberal way.
Garbage. Look through my posts and you'll see that I provide references when I prove denialist claims are false. That's not obscuring the science. Posting articles by right-wing cranks and trying to present their little blog posts as having scientific merit, that's obscuring the science. Your whining about liberals is baseless, and has no merit. I'll disregard it from now on and just mark you down as "whines about liberals when confronted with facts".

Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM

33,632 posts, read 37,288,674 times
Atmospheric pressure systems create strong winds along the eastern Pacific. These northwesterly winds lead to upwelling along the western coast of North America. Upwelling, where cold, nutrient-rich waters are brought to the surface, can drive ocean productivity, supporting most productive fisheries worldwide. Such wind patterns are expected to change considerably due to global climate change. Changes in global air temperatures over land and the ocean, as well as increased temperature variation, will alter atmospheric pressure gradients that drive the strength of winds over the ocean.
Ocean Circulation « Climate Change

Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,287,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Atmospheric pressure systems create strong winds along the eastern Pacific. These northwesterly winds lead to upwelling along the western coast of North America. Upwelling, where cold, nutrient-rich waters are brought to the surface, can drive ocean productivity, supporting most productive fisheries worldwide. Such wind patterns are expected to change considerably due to global climate change. Changes in global air temperatures over land and the ocean, as well as increased temperature variation, will alter atmospheric pressure gradients that drive the strength of winds over the ocean.
Ocean Circulation « Climate Change
As long as you don't blame it on AGW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies