Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
The business is "open to" whomever the owner wishes to do business with... I am not advocating discrimination, it is stupid, especially when you are in business to make money, but no one is "entitled" to another's property/product/service.
Yes, you are advocating discrimination when you just said "the business is 'open to' whomever the owner wishes to do business with...".

Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,746,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes, you are advocating discrimination when you just said "the business is 'open to' whomever the owner wishes to do business with...".
Okay, if that is what you believe. I believe that it is up to the owner of a product/service/labor/property to decide whom he will make a voluntary exchange with. If you believe that the government controls all business and exchanges among "free" people that is your belief.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
I have a right to refuse to deal with whomever I don't wish to. (Whether the government believes otherwise is up to tyrants.) I could refuse because I don't like a potential client's big nose, or because I am simply tired, or for any reason that I can come up with. No one is "entitled" or "guaranteed" any access to my private property, products, services, or labor. I own myself.
Should the only emergency medical clinic in a community (think rural community - only clinic for 100 miles) be able to have a "no blacks" or "no gays" or "no Jews" policy?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Okay, if that is what you believe. I believe that it is up to the owner of a product/service/labor/property to decide whom he will make a voluntary exchange with. If you believe that the government controls all business and exchanges among "free" people that is your belief.
What I believe is that you advocate discrimination with that very statement.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
What is this idiot going to do? Ask for a baptism certificate before anyone can come through her door?

Or is she going to turn away anyone who looks like a Muslim? What does a Muslim look like?

is she going to turn them away for the way their speech sounds? What does a Muslim accent sound like?

Is she going to be one of the boneheads who confuse a Sikh with a Muslim because Sikhs all wear turbans?

Life as an independent business owner is hard. It's harder when you're stupid.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
I did agree that monopolies (both public and private[created by government]) should not be able to discriminate. This thread is about a privately owned business that is in a competitive market (theoretically )

I have a right to refuse to deal with whomever I don't wish to. (Whether the government believes otherwise is up to tyrants.) I could refuse because I don't like a potential client's big nose, or because I am simply tired, or for any reason that I can come up with. No one is "entitled" or "guaranteed" any access to my private property, products, services, or labor. I own myself.
Ever hear the phrase "no man is an island"?

And an ambulance service could be a privately owned contracted service in competition with another privately owned provider but providing dual coverage due to demand and the first ambulance says nope: I don't like the smell of your aftershave so you can wait for the other guy's ambulance.

C'mon here' you do not seriously believe your 'private business' entity gives you autonomy from the normal constraints of legal behaviour while at the same time subjecting you to those issues of licensing, zone compliance, safety provisions and taxation based upon the public's right to fair, safe and legal treatment? Or, do you indeed?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Is she going to be one of the boneheads who confuse a Sikh with a Muslim because Sikhs all wear turbans?
This. Guaranteed.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:20 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Quote:
The business is "open to" whomever the owner wishes to do business with... I am not advocating discrimination, it is stupid, especially when you are in business to make money, but no one is "entitled" to another's property/product/service.
Yes.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Ever hear the phrase "no man is an island"?

And an ambulance service could be a privately owned contracted service in competition with another privately owned provider but providing dual coverage due to demand and the first ambulance says nope: I don't like the smell of your aftershave so you can wait for the other guy's ambulance.

C'mon here' you do not seriously believe your 'private business' entity gives you autonomy from the normal constraints of legal behaviour while at the same time subjecting you to those issues of licensing, zone compliance, safety provisions and taxation based upon the public's right to fair, safe and legal treatment? Or, do you indeed?
I do believe in private property and the free market. I do not believe in initiations of force.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I am advocating the right of the individual to choose what exchanges he makes in the free market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies