Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Seriously?

You seriously believe that dinosaurs became extinct 63 million years before the first hominid stood erect was some how caused by humans that did not even exist at the time?

I did not think so. Nobody could be THAT stupid.
We could get a little closer as in the Wolf........in Idaho was gone reintroduced in 1998.

Now we have wolves clashing with people who think the wolf is evil.
Isn't this the same thought from mountain men and the reason the wolf was almost extinct due to man?

1974: The federal government classifies wolves as an endangered species.

The Grizzly bear is close to being gone.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service listed the grizzly bear as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act in 1975, meaning it is considered likely to become endangered ("endangered" means a species is considered in danger of extinction within all or a significant portion of its range).

Between 1800 and 1975, grizzly bear populations in the lower 48 states decreased from estimates of more than 100,000 to less than 1,000. The grizzly was eliminated from much of the west by the late 1800's. As mountainous areas were settled, development contributed to an increase in human-caused mortality. Livestock depredation control, habitat deterioration, commercial trapping, unregulated hunting and the perception that grizzlies threatened human life were leading causes of the animal's decline.

Some grizzly bears are accidentally killed by hunters who mistake them for black bears, which can be legal game. But the biggest threat to the grizzly is human-caused mortality. Grizzlies become habituated to humans because of what biologists call "attractants," which include garbage pet foods, livestock carcasses, and improper camping practices. This can eventually lead to conflicts between people and bears - not only in populated areas of the grizzly's range but also in back-country recreation sites.

Brown grizzly bear endangered and close to being extinct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:56 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Actually, human hunters are the biggest wildlife conservationists on the planet. Far surpassing the combined contributions of WWF or Greenpeace, or any other tree-hugger organization you care to name.

Statistically speaking, humans will become extinct, as will many other species both currently living today and in the future. That does not require an emotional response.
How so? We are not talking about now.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Actually, human hunters are the biggest wildlife conservationists on the planet. Far surpassing the combined contributions of WWF or Greenpeace, or any other tree-hugger organization you care to name.

Statistically speaking, humans will become extinct, as will many other species both currently living today and in the future. That does not require an emotional response.
I actually support hunting.....my family hunts and we enjoy elk and deer. I call BS that ALL hunters are respectful of the wildlife. Wolf hunters are F'ing mean and I am not sure anyone that hunts a wolf is doing it humanly. Welcome to prove me wrong, live trap hunting is BS hunting!

Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
What if it isn't necessarily rising water levels but instead sinking land mass, or a combination of both? The same effect is achieved either way.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We could get a little closer as in the Wolf........in Idaho was gone reintroduced in 1998.

Now we have wolves clashing with people who think the wolf is evil.
Isn't this the same thought from mountain men and the reason the wolf was almost extinct due to man?

1974: The federal government classifies wolves as an endangered species.

The Grizzly bear is close to being gone.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service listed the grizzly bear as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act in 1975, meaning it is considered likely to become endangered ("endangered" means a species is considered in danger of extinction within all or a significant portion of its range).

Between 1800 and 1975, grizzly bear populations in the lower 48 states decreased from estimates of more than 100,000 to less than 1,000. The grizzly was eliminated from much of the west by the late 1800's. As mountainous areas were settled, development contributed to an increase in human-caused mortality. Livestock depredation control, habitat deterioration, commercial trapping, unregulated hunting and the perception that grizzlies threatened human life were leading causes of the animal's decline.

Some grizzly bears are accidentally killed by hunters who mistake them for black bears, which can be legal game. But the biggest threat to the grizzly is human-caused mortality. Grizzlies become habituated to humans because of what biologists call "attractants," which include garbage pet foods, livestock carcasses, and improper camping practices. This can eventually lead to conflicts between people and bears - not only in populated areas of the grizzly's range but also in back-country recreation sites.

Brown grizzly bear endangered and close to being extinct
First, you need to take anything the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says with a grain of salt. They are motivated by political ideology, not science.

Second, there is a significant difference between a species becoming depopulated in certain areas and becoming endangered or extinct. There are no polar bears in the lower-48. Does not mean that polar bears are endangered or extinct? Of course not.

The government clearly overreached in designating such a large swath of Alaska (187,000 square miles, or an area larger than the State of California), as critical habitat under the Endangered Species Act for polar bears. As a result the federal courts vacated the rule and sent it back to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for reconsideration.

The same thing is true with grizzly bears. There are more grizzly bears in Alaska than people, and their population is growing. The same is also true for wolves in Alaska. In fact, in some areas of Alaska wolves have become a serious problem because they have completely decimated the moose and caribou populations in those areas.

Hunting both grizzly/brown bears and wolves is permitted in Alaska.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I actually support hunting.....my family hunts and we enjoy elk and deer. I call BS that ALL hunters are respectful of the wildlife. Wolf hunters are F'ing mean and I am not sure anyone that hunts a wolf is doing it humanly. Welcome to prove me wrong, live trap hunting is BS hunting!
I never said that all humans respected wildlife. I said human hunters are the biggest wildlife conservationists on the planet. More money is spent on hunting licenses every year than is spent by all the private wildlife conservationist organizations combined.

I am also a hunter. I buy a hunting and fishing license every year, and I am a member of Ducks Unlimited. The very last thing hunters want is to see their favorite game animal become endangered or extinct. We go out of our way to ensure that their populations stay healthy and large enough for future generations to hunt and enjoy.

Why is shooting a wolf mean, but shooting a moose or caribou is not? That does not make any sense.

Wolf pelts are still highly prized in Alaska. Prices will range from $400 to $1,200 per wolf pelt, depending on the condition and size of the pelt. The best way to ensure you get a good wolf pelt is by trapping them. A bullet hole in the pelt knocks down the price considerably.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
What if it isn't necessarily rising water levels but instead sinking land mass, or a combination of both? The same effect is achieved either way.
You would first have to explain what could cause continents to sink.

In the past, at least one third of the planet was covered in ice. The weight of all that ice has caused certain areas to sink. With that ice now gone, the land has been rebounding. Apart from placing billions of tons of ice on land, I can think of nothing that could cause land to suddenly start sinking.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:53 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
I never said that all humans respected wildlife. I said human hunters are the biggest wildlife conservationists on the planet. More money is spent on hunting licenses every year than is spent by all the private wildlife conservationist organizations combined.

I am also a hunter. I buy a hunting and fishing license every year, and I am a member of Ducks Unlimited. The very last thing hunters want is to see their favorite game animal become endangered or extinct. We go out of our way to ensure that their populations stay healthy and large enough for future generations to hunt and enjoy.

Why is shooting a wolf mean, but shooting a moose or caribou is not? That does not make any sense.

Wolf pelts are still highly prized in Alaska. Prices will range from $400 to $1,200 per wolf pelt, depending on the condition and size of the pelt. The best way to ensure you get a good wolf pelt is by trapping them. A bullet hole in the pelt knocks down the price considerably.
Hunting for sport is barbaric and senseless. Why would anyone want to kill the beautiful creatures on our planet for their own entertainment.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Hunting for sport is barbaric and senseless. Why would anyone want to kill the beautiful creatures on our planet for their own entertainment.
Not everyone hunts just for the trophy.

In fact, Alaska law requires every hunter to salvage all the meat from any game animal, whether they intend to eat it or not. They can keep the meat, or give it away, but they cannot sell it. Anyone who shoots a critter just for kicks can expect heavy fines. I, and other hunters like me, will gladly turn in anyone we see violating Alaska fish and game laws.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:04 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Do not knock it until you have tried it.

Smoked igunak (walrus) and muktuk (whale) are damn tasty with beer and chips. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon football game. Think of calamari in texture, with a flavor similar to smoked oysters.
Mmmmmmm........igunak.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies