Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 06:56 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,508,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Sure, some employers don't like gays. But most of us have no control over that.

It is my personal opinion that if a person performs their job well, orientation should not be an issue.
I agree with you there, women included. Equal pay, equal rights, equal protections. Job performance should be the primary factor on ones pay, not sex, race, age or orientation. The best worker gets rewarded for his/her work.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:01 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,508,665 times
Quote:
At this point in time, that is true. Neither "marriage" nor "civil union" will work here in TX.

I personally cannot accept gay marriage. Quite simply put, a man-man or woman-woman relationship and subsequent "marriage" is not the same as man-woman. Trying to make them identical won't work, either.

But eventually, these two terms will be identical. The thing is, I seriously doubt that the underlying attitudes will ever change, not in a very, very long time.

Gays will have to tolerate those of us who see gay marriage as just plain WEIRD and an off-the-charts aberration.

By the same token, straights will have to tolerate seeing two tuxes or two wedding gowns in photos of ceremonies.

So be it. I plan to just ignore it when it hits, to the extent that I can.
I do not understand. What is it that you cannot tolerate about two men or two women wanting to committ to a legally binding marriage? Is love not love, regardless of the sex, race or age. You do not have to participate in a same sex marriage, not even if you bake the cake, provide the dresses or tuxes. Same with any service that a straight marriage, twice divorced and married again marriage or even same sex marriage. The participation ends with the sale of the product and at that point is out of their hands and not up to them what happens with that cake, dress or tux.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,309,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I have posted this before, The Gay community have sued their way to the top for the Title " Marriage" . I agree with Cathy that it should be label as a Civil Union since Marriage traditional One Man and One Women.
In the work place there are all ready protection in place to protect peoples right. I do not what the big difference if you are gay and or have been discriminated due your color. There are measures in place.

What we are really speaking is equal protection under the law. However Christians may have to respect the law a judge and a result of a law suit. But we don not have to accept in the Life of Christ.
Again, in the majority of places it is legal to fire someone for being gay. Discrimination at Work: Is It Legal to Fire Someone for Being Gay? - Businessweek

Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,309,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I do not understand. What is it that you cannot tolerate about two men or two women wanting to committ to a legally binding marriage? Is love not love, regardless of the sex, race or age. You do not have to participate in a same sex marriage, not even if you bake the cake, provide the dresses or tuxes. Same with any service that a straight marriage, twice divorced and married again marriage or even same sex marriage. The participation ends with the sale of the product and at that point is out of their hands and not up to them what happens with that cake, dress or tux.
It makes her uncomfortable which means it shouldn't be allowed is basically the crux of her argument. I've never heard a solidly good argument on why banning gay people from marriage is a good idea. It's either based on various levels of bigotry, religious belief, or people who just aren't that comfortable with either gay people or the fact that they might have the same status as them.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 PM

4,484 posts, read 3,838,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Oh please, you do not.
Actually, I do, but nice of you to know the young people I know. I personally know a lot of college age kids who believe marriage is a man and a woman. I know a lot with this mindset, but I also know many who are indifferent about it or don't care.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,282,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Actually, I do, but nice of you to know the young people I know. I personally know a lot of college age kids who believe marriage is a man and a woman. I know a lot with this mindset, but I also know many who are indifferent about it or don't care.
The people you know are in the minority.

Seven in 10 Young Adults Favor Same-Sex Marriage | Pew Research Center
Gay marriage support hits new high in Post-ABC poll - The Washington Post

Old 10-11-2014, 09:48 PM

4,484 posts, read 3,838,333 times
Probably inaccurate.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:54 PM

22,217 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Probably inaccurate.
Basically every single poll has shown extremely strong support for same-sex marriage among younger people, to deny this is simply being naive.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,798,424 times
Quote:
In nature, many species separate into male and female other than during mating season. The females often raise the young in groups, as with lionesses. Has nothing to do with homosexuality. It's a survival tactic.
You're right, that isn't homosexuality, why are you bringing it up?

Genuine homosexuality does exist in nature. And not just homosexual acts. Bonded homosexual pairs do occur in nature, even when there are available nonmated individuals of the opposite sex. This information is easily available on the internet, I wonder why you choose to be so ignorant?

Regardless, though, the fact that a particular behavior is found in other creatures, or in humans living in a different culture, is not a prescription for or against allowing that behavior in our society. In our culture, the standard is that adult human beings should be able to do pretty much as we please, unless that behavior harms or significantly interferes with the rights and well-being of others. Using that standard, there simply is no factual basis to deny marriage to homosexual couples.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,282,394 times
Quote:
Probably inaccurate.
Yeah, it is most likely a liberal conspiracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies